I am not quibbling about Alaska. Alaska was lovely, and I am delighted to have had a chance to experience some of it! This review is solely about the cruise itself. Ever since cruising to Canada on the Veendam, I'd been looking forward to this. The Veendam was amazing! I could hardly wait to have a similar experience, but with ALASKA! Unfortunately, it was not to be, mostly because of the Zaandam's staff. While the Veendam's staff was attentive and proactive, the Zaandam's staff did a reasonably professional job, mostly, but were going through the motions. One had to nag them for service. The waiters regularly delivered the wrong dishes to people; sometimes it seemed like they ignored our orders and just distributed dishes at random. The cabin attendants routinely ignored "Service, please" tags, often for hours. And the real crowning glory was when our toilet failed at round midnight. For two solid hours the front desk assured us that someone would be up promptly, when we nagged repeatedly. At a bit after 2 a guy showed up, with a tool. I heard his tool clanking in the bowl, then a flush, then more clanking, then another few flushes... And THEN he had the gall to tell me that there was never anything wrong with the toilet, I just hadn't bothered to flush it. Um, no. I would not be awake at 2 am when I wanted to crash at midnight if *I* had been able to do anything about the toilet. Very offensive. The front desk did comp us a bottle of wine, but that hardly made up for 2 hours of anxiety rather than sleep, and an insult at the end.

Disappointing, with Occasional Awful

Cissa’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Zaandam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin C
The cabin was fine- a bit bigger than on the Veendam, but a familiar layout.
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Glacier Bay
    Simply glorious.
    View All 746 Glacier Bay Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Glacier Bay Cruise Port Review
  • Mendenhall Glacier
    We hired a taxi to take us to the glacier park, then to return for us in 1.5 hours. This worked out great! It was exactly the right amount of time, and the driver was very interesting and informative about the history of Juneau as seen by a long-time local.

Before re-boarding the ship, we had a meal at Tracy's King Crab Shack. RECOMMENDED!!!! Our waiter in Vancouver tipped us off, and I am so glad we listened! This was one of the best meals of my life. We shared a bucket: king crab leg (they are HUGE), a cup of amazing crab bisque, and 4 crab fritters; since the bucket was supposed to serve 1-2, we also ordered a "side" of snow crab. Everything was delicious and perfectly cooked- a trick with seafood, as I know from cooking lobsters. The bisque was amazing! The crab cakes were excellent, but paled in the face of the 100% pure crab. The king was more assertively CRAB, but the snow crab had a delicate texture and flavor that was still crabby, but definitely different. I am glad we tried both.

Even though it looks like a tourist thing- when we were there. around 2/3rds of the customers were locals.
    View All 889 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
  • Seward
    We had brunch in a local hotel, then went to the Sealife Center. It's small, but very interesting and informative. I do wish they had more enrichment for the seals and sealions.

Then had halibut fish & chips at Thorne Lounge. Excellent!
    View All 186 Seward Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Seward Cruise Port Review
  • White Pass Scenic Railway
    Just wonderful! ALL of the scenery! and bonus mountain goats!
    View All 1,104 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews
  • Vancouver
    We had a full day in Vancouver, and enjoyed it a lot!

Fabulous lunch at a restaurant close to our hotel-- Cardero's. The fried oysters were amazing, and the salmon "burger"- actually a filet- perfectly cooked.

Dinner was at the Water St. Cafe, and was just as good! I was still rather full from lunch, so I had the seafood and corn chowder, which was amazing! I have been experimenting with corn chowders for a while now, and this was one of the the best! I wish I could replicate it! I also had the appetizer portion of the crab cakes, which were lovely. The other people with me were very enthusiastic about their pasta, too.

The next morning, before boarding, we went to Forage for brunch. Excellent! I wish we'd had time for a dinner there... I had a frittata with arugula, duck confit, onions, and brie, and it was excellent. Other enjoyed dishes were the turkey sausage hash- the sausage had Moroccan spices and was far juicier than any turkey sausage I'd ever tasted before! The third was the corned buffalo hash with sauerkraut- it was gobbled up. Both the hashes had perfectly cooked eggs on them, and my scramble was cooked just right- done, but barely.

Yes, I'm a foodie.