3. Navigator of the Seas
Loved our balcony cabin in room 1826 (more below in cabin review) and had great service from our room steward. PROS: Navigator was refurbished a couple of years ago and is still well maintained and looks great. The overall layout with the Promenade deck is nice. Service in the dining room was fantastic and food in the dining room was very good. The ice skating show is top notch. CONS: Drink prices are outrageous! $14 for a Moscow Mule in R Bar and over $10 for the drink of the day special. RCI's shore excursions really aren't great. In Cozumel we went with a snorkeling excursion and the water was way too rough for snorkeling (our guides assured us it would be better once we were actually in the water) and the equipment wasn't good quality (my daughter's mask never fit properly which we didn't learn until we were in the water, my fins had a defective strap that kept coming off, daughter's life jacket had a grimy blow-up tube that left black marks on her face). In Grand Cayman the ship arrived early so we were told to get off early only to arrive at our excursions meeting point and end up waiting an hour and 20 minutes in the heat (way past even the original meeting time). The shows weren't very good and did not seem to fit the audience on the ship. They debuted a brand new ballroom dance show one night and it had a very Latin them with lot of songs in Spanish. Most of the people around us had walked out before it was over. There was also an Elvis impersonator (really only appealed to the older crowd, and not to any of the younger couple/families) and a comedy show. I was surprised they didn't have an aerialist show or big singing/dancing show other than the ballroom dancing.

Nice cabin, nice ports, iffy entertainment and services

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by TXGalAJ

PROS:

The ice skating show is top notch.

CONS:

TXGalAJ’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Get Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas price drops

This cabin on deck 12 is fabulous! This area was changed from a public area to cabins on the last refurbishment so the rooms are newer and very nice. There is a large, flat screen TV that you can position to face either the beds or the sofa area. The color and style of the room is much more modern and has a cleaner look than the other cabins I've been in on Navigator.

The room is VERY quiet. There are only a few rooms together and there are no rooms directly above or below you. There was never noise or smoke from nearby balconies. I know smoking is supposed to be forbidden on balconies but there are still people that do it and I've had times where I couldn't use my balcony because someone nearby was smoking. These balconies are so isolated I don't think you would have that problem (you would immediately be able to tell what room the smoker was in).

It is a short walk from this room to the pool. It is a longer trek to get down to the Promenade or to the main dining room but we took the elevator and it was always a short wait. I usually take the stairs everywhere on a cruise but being up on 12 we used the elevators a lot more.
  Navigator of the Seas Deck Plans

• Deluxe Sail, Snorkel and Beach Party
    Palancar Double Reef Snorkel and Playa Mia Buffet- The crew was fantastic and the only reason I gave 2 stars instead of 1. When we arrived in the snorkeling area the water was really too choppy for snorkeling. In hindsight, for safety reasons, they probably should have canceled this one. But we all got into the water and tried to snorkel. I had my 10 year old daughter with me (she is a competitive swimmer and has snorkeled many times before) and immediately we realized that our equipment was in bad shape. Her mask was not water tight and could not be fixed so she never could put her face in the water. My fins had a faulty strap and would get loose and I would have to readjust them. Her life vest had a blow up tube on the side that was really grimy and left black marks all over her face. After only snorkeling for a short time we gave up and asked to go back to the boat. About half the people went back early and even the die hards were back before the allotted time was up.

The boat they take you on is a bit weathered as well. I much prefer the Fury catamaran to this closed in boat.

We went to Playa Mia Beach Resort for lunch and that was fantastic. It's a big resort with pools/slides/inflatable obstacle course and a nice buffet lunch.
    View All 74 Deluxe Sail, Snorkel and Beach Party Reviews
  • Hilton Rose Hall
    This resort is lovely and the food was very good. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is that the beach was terrible and you couldn't go into it. So if you are looking for a gorgeous beach this is not the place for you.

But there is a large open pool and an even better lazy river to enjoy. The lazy river has tubes and you can float and relax or go down one of the two water slides. There is a swim up bar in the lazy river and all food and drinks are included in the package.

There were plenty of lounge chairs and the resort did not feel overly crowded. Overall, we really enjoyed it. It is a bit pricey for what you get (ha ha, unless you drink a lot!) but it was the perfect stop for my 10 year old.

Our driver and guide on the ride to and from the resort were fabulous. Super friendly and told us lots of information about Jamaica.
    View All 12 Hilton Rose Hall Reviews
  • Beach
    7 Mile Beach Break with Tiki Beack- This tour was very disorganized right from the start. The ship arrived in Grand Cayman early so we were told to get onto an earlier tender. We arrived at the meeting point for the tour and were told we would need to wait 45 more minutes. They had people herded like cattle under a canopy and it was very hot and humid. An hour and 20 minutes later they finally called our group. But the signs they were holding didn't match the name or code on our tickets so everyone was very confused and not sure if they were on the right tour. No one seemed to be in charge or know what was going on.

Once we arrived at Tiki Beach we found the beach was nice but there was nothing "extra" at the beach like a pool or inflatables. For the price of the excursion I would have expected more than just transportation and a lounge chair (all beaches in Grand Cayman are public beaches and there is NO CHARGE to use them).

Next time I would just grab a $4 taxi to any section of 7 mile beach and enjoy these beautiful beaches on my own.