3. Island Princess
The title line says it all, which I borrowed from a fellow passenger. After one day's sailing, I could already list at least ten problems, some major and some minor, and the list got longer as the days passed. So here is my rather unorganized recollection: This voyage spent the first night at Venice and left port at 1 pm the following day. An emergency drill was given right before the ship lifted anchor. The result: virtually every passenger went up to the Lido Deck for lunch at the same time. Plates and cups quickly ran out, and people had to wait in long lines to be allowed into the buffet area. It gave the impression that they were totally unprepared, not a very promising start. Also on the first day of sailing, around 10 pm, the ship had a power failure. Recalling the two most recent nightmarish incidents with Carnival cruise ships were both due to power failures, we were truly scared. Fortunately, power was eventually restored. Not sure if it was related to the power problem, but the gym/fitness center on Deck 6 was closed the following day. Leaks, we were told. In at least some areas of the ship, the plumbing system also failed twice during the voyage (our cabin was affected too), forcing people to crowd a few public rest rooms that were still functioning. We were told that the ship was at the dry dock for renovation before this voyage, and one of the changes it made was to move the gym to Deck 6 to give the Lotus Spa more space to expand. I use the gym a lot, but I don't like the idea of having to go back to my cabin to take showers. Other problems we either experienced ourselves or heard from others: very long lines at the front desk, phones in cabins not working, no hot/cold water in cabin, cancelled performance shows due to "technical problems," sound systems not working for Zumba classes, ignorant Spa employees, cancelled shore excursions due to delayed arrival, the list goes on. One more gripe I have: this ship does not have an International Cafe. I've been on several other Princess cruise ships and they all have one. I missed the cronuts. On the plus side, the cabin and dining rooms crew provided superb service. They were always courteous, easy to talk to, and made an effort to remember our seating and ordering preferences. Lessons learned from this voyage: the specific cruise ship you are on can make a huge difference.

Island Princess, a practice cruise ship?

Island Princess Cruise Review by qbane65

qbane65’s Full Rating Summary
Get Island Princess price drops

Our cabin is close to the stern, apparently it's where the engine compartment is located down below. Once the ship left port, the entire cabin starts to vibrate. I was trying to take a nap but found it impossible. I'm from California, and this felt worse than an earthquake. Realizing sleeping would be out of the question, my wife and I went to the front desk, only to be met by the rudest customer rep we ever met. This guy simply stated that there was nothing he could do and there was no spare cabin to move us to, and what's worse, he further mocked us by offering to share his crew's cabin with us! When we demanded to see a manager, he responded by saying that he was just relaying what management told him to say. My wife had sleeping problems to begin with, and this interaction almost cause her an emotional breakdown. Fortunately, we were eventually able to get a hold of the night manager, Laurence, who went to our cabin to feel it first hand and was able to move us to a different cabin towards the midship.
  Island Princess Deck Plans