3. Norwegian Gem
This is not my first but my third cruise to nowhere. I have done two on the Dawn and this one on the Gem. This may be the first cruise (I have been on over 40) that I was not happy with. I understand there were two weddings,(there were 3 on the Dawn)my question is did all the experienced people working on the ship get off in New York? When we arrived (I was on by 12:45) the food was cold in the buffet and the choices were very limited. I really didn't see a variety at all. The format of the buffet was small and when more people arrived it was crazy. After we ate, we walked around the ship, to find it more like a cut up puzzle then a smooth open ship. It was very difficult to book a specialty restaurant because you are in a corner where people are trying to walk through as well as book their reservation it was not organized. We did eat at La Bistro, I enjoyed my dinner and this was the best part of the cruise. While I thought drinks were very expensive, I ordered the peach bellini and it came wrong twice. (first time I was given a glass of champagne, then the next time was something that looked like a coffee martini. It seemed people need to understand how you eat on the NCL ships. I could not believe how many people were standing infront of Magenta's waiting to see if they could eat.( I would say 45 people) No drill and our room was fine (we usually do a balcony but we did an inside this time) The next morning, we woke up and was out for breakfast by 7:15, it was not crowded. Why do they toast all the bread, bagels and muffins so they sit there and get cold and hard. The other breakfast items were not so appealing. This was really bad, they had rows of all of these baked goods already toasted and cold. The other cruise to nowhere were not like this at all. We went back to our room and they were there changing the sheets already, I had left my belongings open on the bed, my backpack......(which I used as my purse) sitting on the floor. I really don't think they should enter your room till your items are out. In my opinion, the Gem does not compare to the Dawn or the Spirit. The prices were expensive (drinks $9.95/ea plus tax and 20% tip now the drink is $11.73/ea) The ship did not impress me and I must say I am disappointed that it didn't. We were off the ship on the train by 9:00 am........... I only wish I had a nicer time on the Gem....... This experience will not stop me from going on NCL. I will just sail another ship.

Gem doesn't sparkle in my eyes

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by Dorene1

• Sail Date: January 2009
  • Destination: Nowhere
  • Cabin Type: Inside
We were off the ship on the train by 9:00 am...........
I only wish I had a nicer time on the Gem.......
Dorene1’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Norwegian Gem price drops

Inside
Cabin IC 11139
Handicapped room with a pole in the center? and noisy
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins