Regal Princess Cruise Review

Regal Princess Cruise Review by Buffalo Boaters

• Sail Date: Jun 2015
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Balcony

My husband and I selected this cruise based on recommendations from seasoned cruisers and because we know Princess has a great line of ships. We have been traveling on their ships for 5 of our 7 cruises in the last 15 years. We began our journey with two nights in Copenhagen at the Imperial Hotel with a $35 cab ride from the airport. This hotel has a wonderful included breakfast, good beds and bedding, and walking distance to many sites. We chose to do the hop on/off bus to tour the city. Like other reviewers have noted, Copenhagen is delightful IF you are dressed for the weather and watch for the tremendous bike traffic! We boarded the Regel at 1:00 and we were in our stateroom by 1:15!! We had a balcony plus room which was fine. Every night we slept very well. We did the later seating for dining and had great conversations about our excursions and life on the ship with our table mates. We booked our cruise and hop on/off buses with Costco Travel. Our tours of Berlin and St. Petersburg were through SPB tours. We were very lucky to travel into Stockholm on the Regel. We saw some of the entertainment on the Regel and it was great.

Despite my husband getting a cold on the plane coming to Copenhagen and the cool weather, we had an experience that will be long remembered due to the great staff on the Regel, ports of call and introduction to all the cultures and history we discovered every day. We did try the Crown Grill. They had excellent food and service, but I was happier eating in the dining room with the friends we had made. My husband and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary with a purchase at the art auction. The guy in charge of the auction is an excellent sales person!! We wished we had flown out of Copenhagen on the day of disembarkation, instead we stayed at the Kong Arthur. This hotel does not get my recommendation. The room was so small and the bathrooms were sparse with amenities like soap and shampoo. The hotel called for a cab to get us to the airport and this ride cost almost double from our previous cab ride at the beginning of our trip. We used SAS airlines with a direct flight to Chicago. Except for some very scary turbulence over Iceland and a 2 hour delay, it was fine. Taking this cruise took a lot of planning, study and money. I suggest travelers take plenty of warm clothes, credit cards with chips, excellent walking shoes and a good sense of humor.

Buffalo Boaters's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Balcony
Cabin DA 511

Great storage and beds! It was too cold to use the balcony except for the day we cruised into Stockholm. I was hoping to get a larger bathroom.

City Tour

I would recommend the hop on/ off bus. This is a very expensive city so bring water and a piece of fruit instead of using a restaurant. At the Vigeland Sculpture garden I bought a small muffin and diet coke for $11.

View All 41 City Tour Reviews

We went on a two day tour with our Russian guide Alena. She showed us most of what St. Petersburg has to offer and answered our questions about life in the city.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Tallinn

This was one of my favorite ports. It has a very old European section with great shopping and restaurants.

City Tour

We took a inlet cruise and used the hop on/ off bus. The weather was perfect and we enjoyed the city market area.

View All 193 City Tour Reviews
Stockholm

We had a delightful lunch and toured the city on our own. There was to be a Royal wedding that day so the palace area was very busy

City Tour

We saw all the city sites and had a nice lunch. We spent most of our day on a bus.

View All 140 City Tour Reviews

My husband I knew this would be a long day with much of it spent in a bus. Berlin is a city with many memorials. I am glad we saw it but I would not go back.

View All undefined undefined Reviews