3. Magellan
We booked this cruise in March, not having viewed any previous passenger comments. There were three of us in my party myself (50+), my mother (mid-seventies), my daughter (early 20's). We had booked superior inside cabins (1 x twin & 1 x single). The reasons we chose this cruise was because we wanted a smaller ship, great itinerary, good service & cleanliness. This was to be my 15th cruise so I know what elements go to making a sucessful cruising holiday experience. I didn't know of anyone who had been on the Magellan before so looked at the few reviews that were available on this site. I must say that my heart sunk when I read so many damning reviews of the ship and it's staff. I was dreading the experience that lay ahead of us. HOWEVER, I can now only presume that this site has been a sounding board for those who feel compelled to complain! Our experience was FANTASTIC from start to finish. Pre-booked parking at Tilbury worked seamlessly - plenty of signage, ample staff to direct and very swift bus transfer to the terminal building. Check-in time was given in advance and the process at the port was well organised. Cruise & Maritime Voyages had upgraded us to 2 x twin outside cabins on Deck 5 (Reception deck). Our luggage was waiting for us in the roomy, spotless cabins. Yes, they are old cabins but everything was perfectly serviceable. Deck 5 is fairly low down so please expect some noise from the ships mechanisms. After all, would you really expect a cruise ship to be perfectly quiet??? We found that ear plugs worked a treat - I never travel without them. The Public areas are pleasantly decorated and furnished. The staff in the bars (mainly Romanian) were extremely polite, willing and professional. I can't understand why there are so many complaints about waiting to be served. We were always served within seconds of taking a seat. It was sometimes difficult to find seats in the popular bars - at peak entertainment times. A little patience is required as people soon move on to another event! Public area entertainment included: quizzes, bingo, disco, pianists. There was nightly entertainment in the main show lounge. We watched 4 shows performed by the on board entertainment team. The shows weren't the best that I have seen but please remember this team has only been together a few months. I would give them 10/10 for effort and their desire to please. I am sure they will address their weaknesses as time goes on. The other 2 nights we had a UK guest comedian - he was really quite funny. Both the cruise director and the captain are ex Thomson cruise staff. They are lovely gents and make an effort to meet & greet guests. Daily activities included: spa treatments (charges apply - quite reasonable), well equipped gym, board games, craft sessions, lectures, keep fit (all abilities). Food - you will never go hungry whilst on board this ship!!! Plenty of selection in the restaurants and self service Bistro. Quality was very, very good. There was always plenty of choice and food everywhere was tasty and hot. Self service tea/coffee points in the Bistro. Amazing midnight buffet magnifique one night. How anyone could still manage to eat amazed me!! We mainly took breakfast and lunch in the self service bistro. If you are somebody who expects to eat as soon as the restaurants open you may well find it a free for all. Have a little patience and eat midway through the sitting. We ate our evening meals in our allocated restaurant - Kensington. We had booked the early sitting 6.15pm. The service by the waiters, wine waiter and Maitre D'hotel was excellent. We had 2 main waiters one was from Burma and the other Romania. Yes, their English language was, at times, limited but we had great fun in understanding one another. You have to take your hats off to these young people who leave home for 9 months at a time. They work incredibly long hours and always serve with a smile. Mealtimes are not rushed. You are allocated a table on day one. If you need to make any changes this is easily sorted with the Maitre D'. Drink - probably the most reasonably priced cruise ship I have ever been on for drinks. Cocktails £4, very large glass of wine £5, teas & coffees around £1.50 - £2.00. The on board cash less account worked really well. We received 2 statements during our tour. We only booked one excursion with CMV. This was for the Mountain train in Flam. It is possible to book trains in the resort but we spoke to some people who could get to the end station but would have had to wait for hours before a seat was available on the return journey. There is VERY little to do at the terminal stop so my advice would be to pay the extra and book through the Ships excursion team. We did our own thing in Bergen - so glad that we did as the weather was awful. Had we booked one of the coach trips we wouldn't have seen much due to the low cloud. In Eidfjord 2 of us took the local trolley train whilst the youngest in our party went on (and thoroughly enjoyed) the Kayaking trip through the Fjord. Unfortunately, one of the larger ships reached Eidfjord before us so we had to reach shore by tender boats. This meant that we spent less time at the port than was planned. However, all credit is due to the captain and crew for transporting so many passengers to shore at short notice. Disembarkation was extremely well organised. There was a choice of leaving the ship at a pre-determined time without having to take your luggage or you could arrange express check out - you get off the ship first but are responsible for carrying your own luggage. As we had a 5 hour onward journey we opted for the express check out. We left the ship at 8.55 a.m. and were leaving the port car park by 9.15 a.m! In summary, as a person who expects a great deal from a cruise holiday and as someone who very high standards, I can honestly say that this cruise was the best value for money EVER! You have to realise that you are going on an older ship, along with this you can't reasonably expect complete silence in your cabin. The friendliness of the crew, the quality of the food, the choice of itineraries make up for everything. Go prepared and you will have a magical time.

Amazing Value for Money; Beyond Expectations

Magellan Cruise Review by Love Cruising the seas

Love Cruising the seas’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Magellan price drops

Cabin 7173 & 7175
Having booked a single inside and a twin inside cabin, we were delighted to have been upgraded to outside cabins. I had a twin cabin for sole use and it was next to my fellow travellers. Both cabins are to the back of the ship. Yes, there was noise from the engine rooms but I have hear far worse on cruises where I paid considerably more!! Take ear plugs just in case! Would you really expect total silence whilst on board a ship?? Our cabin was kept spotless by Jelisabeth. She spoke little English but was always polite and courteous. I would advise you take your own hair dryer as the ones provided are not at all powerful. The black out blinds on the picture window are fantastic! TV worked fine. Beds are very comfortable. No problems with the shower and WC. All in all, a spacious and immaculately clean cabin on one of the lower decks.