3. Carnival Sunshine
Eastern Caribbean out of Port Canaveral June 6, 2015. Embarkation was smooth as usual, room was ready before schedule and luggage was delivered promptly. I read many negative reviews of this ship prior to cruising and was more than a little apprehensive about my choice. Let me say this, vacation is what you make it. No trip will be perfect but nitpicking every little detail is ridiculous. Was this trip perfect? No and I didn't expect it to be. Were there chair hogs? Sure but I never had an issue finding a chair on any day. Food? The food was great. There were many choices each day. I never encountered cold food, slow service, rude wait staff. Was all the food delicious? Absolutely not but I tried things that I would not have ordinarily tried so it was more of a preference than a preparation issue. Our cruise was 8 nights and we ate in the main dining room 6 of those nights. I never had an issue with slow service or cold food. I had late dining which started at 8:15 and I was out each night by around 9:15 or so. We ate in the steakhouse which as on other Carnival ships was wonderful. The staterooms. I had a aft balcony on deck 8. Was there noise? Sure but nothing more than normal. It in no way affected my cruise in a negative way and did not interrupt my sleep. The cabin was nice size. If it was smaller than the "normal" balcony rooms I did not notice. The shower was bigger than normal which was nice. Did the floor get wet? Well...yes. Its a moving ship. Put a towel down and move on. Yes the toilet is at an angle and if you sit "normally" on the toilet you would need to put a foot into the shower. So turn sideways. Not sure why this was such a big deal to so many folks. Did not pose any problems for me. The main lounge is a little smaller than on some other ships but I was able to find 2 seats for us each night we went. Never an issue. The family friendly comedy shows were really good. Finding a seat is a challenge since there is limited seating. That is the same on all the other Carnival ships I have been on. Get there a little early...no big deal. I even read a review criticizing the CD for her voice. Oh my goodness people...get a life. Jaime Dee is from Detroit so as a southerner her accent is much different than mine. Did it annoy me? No...get a life folks. This should never be an issue. She is an excellent CD and always very energetic. If that's not your cup of tea perhaps a more sedated cruise line is more to your taste. Dress code for dinner. I'm really not sure why so many people find this to be an issue. This was my vacation and what someone else was wearing or not wearing was none of my concern as it had no bearing on my enjoying the cruise. Lets worry about ourselves and stop judging others. Some people do not have the money to buy an entire new wardrobe for vacation. Does that mean they should not be able to partake in dinner in the main dining room on elegant nights? In my opinion, NO. Some people save all year to be able to take their family on a nice vacation. Let them enjoy themselves. How does what they wear affect you? And yes, my son and I are always appropriately dressed in the main dining room as well as the lido buffet. I do not eat in my swimsuit! We had a medical emergency while out to sea. Many people were heard complaining about how this would affect our stop the next day in Grand Turk. We were 2 hours out from San Juan when the captain made the decision to alter course and go back to San Juan for a crew member to receive the emergency medical care they needed. Did this change our arrival in Grand Turk? Yes. We were set to arrive at 9:30 am and did not get there until 2:30 pm however they extended our stay. No excursions were cancelled. I heard people asking if they would get refunds for the change/inconvenience... In my opinion, the captain made a very expensive (fuel and time) decision to turn back. That tells me that this was a real life threatening issue and I can't imagine the captain made this decision lightly. Please consider how you would feel if this were you or a loved one. You would be appreciative for the decision the captain made. I think people are just looking for ways to get something for free. A few other smaller issues I read about. I never had to wait long for an elevator. The ship only seemed crowded when people were lining up for food at embarkation, shows and breakfast on port days. Was it unbearable? No, have some patience. Ship layout...not always easy to get from point A to point B as not all decks had access from front of ship to back. Keep in mind, there are over 1000 crew members who move about the ship unseen. Please take the Behind the Fun Tour so you can better understand how the ship functions. It is a very interesting and informative tour and you will better understand some of the areas you don't have access to. So, what I am saying is to take the negative reviews for what they are. Someone else's opinion. Go into any cruise on any ship and any vacation for that matter, with an open mind. My son and I had a wonderful time and would cruise this ship again in a heartbeat.

I believe the Sunshine has received some unfair negative reviews

Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by cruisingwithmyson

We ate in the steakhouse which as on other Carnival ships was wonderful.

cruisingwithmyson’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Sunshine price drops

• Margaritaville
    Booked a poolside cabana at Margaritaville. Never felt over crowded and the wait service was great. Enjoyed the pool and the music was fun and lively. My son really liked it here. Did not encounter unruly intoxicated people, just people having a good time.
    View All 29 Margaritaville Reviews
  • Ziplining
    Hidden Paradise Zip Lining Adventure. This was amazing. The entire staff was very friendly and helpful. Even for first timers it was wonderful. This was the highlight of our trip.
    View All 26 Ziplining Reviews
  • Brimstone Hill Tour
    My son is a history buff so he really enjoyed this excursion. Our driver also pointed out may places on the ride there and back. She was very informative.
    View All 56 Brimstone Hill Tour Reviews
  • St. Maarten
    We took a taxi to Kontiki Beach. Nice beach. Plenty of chairs with umbrellas to rent for a very reasonable price. Nice place to eat and a great bar. Free WIFI
    View All 4,753 St. Maarten Cruise Port Reviews