3. AmaCello
Amacello review- seven nights Romantic Rhine (June 4-11, 2015): Day 1- Amsterdam (embark) Day 2- Amsterdam canal tour, then bus to meet up with ship at first lock. Day 3- Cologne (morning walking tour of city), Koblenz (evening walking tour) Day 4 morning cruising Rhine gorge, (Rudesheim (afternoon and evening tours), Day 5- Speyer or bus to Heidelberg (afternoon walking tours), Day 6- Strasbourg (morning walking tours, afternoon explore city on your own), Day 7- Bresach/Riquewihr (bus to city then afternoon walking tours), Day 8- Basel (disembark). Post cruise extension possible I have taken over 20 ocean cruises on 8 cruise lines. I wanted to try a river cruise and this one worked out with my schedule. I arranged my own air transportation and pre and post cruise hotels. I traveled solo. Good 1) The ship is nicely appointed. Cabins are compact but with loads of not easily accessible under bed storage. Closets were perfect for one person, but would be much tighter with two. Nice bathroom, with a good-sized shower with glass door, but limited bathroom storage. 2) The staff is very nice and repeatedly stated that “all you have to do is ask”. I did ask for and get pants hangers, and asked and paid for a cabin up grade from lower deck to one with a French balcony. 3) Free Internet is included, although cell coverage is spotty due to cruising on border regions. The in cabin media system had a range of European and American TV channel coverage, and recent movies on demand. 4) Wine/soft drinks/beer are included with meals. Cocktails are ~$7. 5) Food was generally very good. Eggs, waffles, pancakes MTO, fruits, all breads baked onboard. 6) Excursions are included, generally a bus tour followed by a walking tour with several types of tours for active and gentle walkers and also biking tours. Have to read closely to differentiate between see (drive by) and visit (get out of the bus). Use the quiet boxes, so I could wander away from the group and still get the commentary. 7) Lots of small groups (2, 4, 6, 8) travelling together- no large groups on this particular cruise, but I has head from fellow passengers that large groups (30-40) have occurred on previous cruises which dramatically changed the dynamics. Most passengers are 60-90 retirees, with one group of 40-ish travellers, and several extended family groups. 8) Local entertainment brought on to the ship was mostly good to excellent. Bad, 1) Ship is small (146 pax maximum, 112 for this voyage). The beds were European and very hard. Would have liked to have a choice of pillows. Really no place to hang out to read. Often the only room (Lounge) is in use for port talks or entertainment. So I spent a good deal of time in cabin watching movies, the scenery, or reading. 2) When I asked for sweetener other than “sweet and low”, the answer was that knew there were other kinds, but they did not carry them. So much for “All you have to do is ask”. Feel free to ask, but the answer might be no! 3) Nothing bad to add about media- They can’t control the cell coverage 4) Wish wine was available all the time, not just at meal times 5) Everyone ate at the same time. Lunch 11-1 pm depending on excursions, and generally 6-7 PM for dinner and you are asked to come within 20 minutes of those times. Didn’t like that, but it is a small ship so they have limited staff and kitchen space. 6) The excursion had limited choices. Some local guides ere excellent others not so good. 7) No accommodations made for solo travelers. Walking into the dining room brought back the horrors of high school lunchroom with lots of little cliques that formed immediately. Most nights I just asked around to sit with people, sometimes “seats were being held”, other times I met lovely fellow passengers. Sometimes if I sat down at a table then when the late arriving member of the “clique” arrived that acted put out. Really-I travel to meet new people, not sit with the same people every day. I am more used to ocean cruises were there are tables of solo travelers. On this ship there were only two solo travelers. This was my least favorite aspect of the cruise. Would I recommend this cruise? Yes for couples and small groups, definitely not for solo travelers. I might try another river cruise in 10 years, but I did not consider this a luxury experience.

Romantic Rhine

AmaCello Cruise Review by Leo_On_Geo

Amacello review- seven nights Romantic Rhine (June 4-11, 2015):

Day 1- Amsterdam (embark)

Day 2- Amsterdam canal tour, then bus to meet up with ship at first lock.

Day 3- Cologne (morning walking tour of city), Koblenz (evening walking tour)

Day 6- Strasbourg (morning walking tours, afternoon explore city on your own),

Day 7- Bresach/Riquewihr (bus to city then afternoon walking tours),

Day 8- Basel (disembark). Post cruise extension possible

Good

4) Wine/soft drinks/beer are included with meals. Cocktails are ~$7.

8) Local entertainment brought on to the ship was mostly good to excellent.

Bad,

3) Nothing bad to add about media- They can’t control the cell coverage

4) Wish wine was available all the time, not just at meal times

Leo_On_Geo’s Full Rating Summary
Get AmaWaterways AmaCello price drops

Started out in the below water porthole cabin 212. Must say it was very quiet, except I could hear lots of toilet flushing. Upgraded to the French Balcony on second day. If I would have been in cabin 112, my review would have been horrible
  AmaCello Deck Plans

• Anne Frank House
    I had visited the Ann Frank house in 1970, and it has changed dramatically. I did reserve amy ticket ahead, and could walk right in instead of waiting in a three hour line. It is a very small space, but the accompaying museum is more open and full of information.
    View All 91 Anne Frank House Reviews
  • Canal Tour
    A canal tour (about one hour) is really a must to get the overall feeling of the city. Canal tours are offered everwhere. Ours was included with my river cruise.
    View All 271 Canal Tour Reviews
  • Rijksmuseum
    Walked in no line at 11 AM in early June. Took the 5 E tour of the 17th C highlights. I recommend several hours here, there is lots to see, but the museum with the new atrium addition makes the layout rather confusing.
    View All 66 Rijksmuseum Reviews
  • City Tour
    My favorite city (after Amsterdam), cathederal was lovely, town lively. River cruise docks close to city so easy walk into town to explore. Could have used more time here
    View All 115 City Tour Reviews
  • mechanical museum
    very interesting to see all the antique instruments. Not a big place, but definetely worth while. The city is also very cute and German. Nice to visit and walk through, although everything closes up at 5 PM
    View All 13,945 mechanical museum Reviews
  • Notre Dame Cathedral
    The astronomical clock was worth seeing once. You don't need to wait 45 minutes, I went in at noon, and got a place to the side. The movie (in four languages) shows you what to look for, and what everything means.
    View All 87 Notre Dame Cathedral Reviews