3. Celestyal Olympia
This cruise was recommended to me by my travel agent, based on the reviews and based on the excursions the cruise offered. It was meant to be a way to get around and to visit multiple islands in a short time as a great excursion experience. As the professional reviews noted, this is an old ship. Nothing has really been done to update it, except for the hand rails being painted (I could only tell the rails were painted because of the “wet paint do not touch” signs on deck during our cruise). The 80's brass and decor is in evidence everywhere. We had an outside cabin with a window on Deck 4. The bathroom was small and the shower was even smaller. The water would leak everywhere onto the bathroom floor during showers. They provided mass squeeze shampoo and body wash, but I wasn't particularly impressed. If you like washcloths, bring your own. The food was nothing to be impressed about, many times not even worth eating. For some reason the cruise line thinks it is appropriate and acceptable to have the restaurant open during the time of excursions, but closed when you are actually on the ship. The Bar & Grill restaurant on Deck 9 is only open for 1 hour each day. With all that said, the restaurant staff was the best group/department on the ship. They tried their very best to be helpful and accommodating based on the very little resources they are provide with to do their job from the cruise line. The Food/Bar staff works hard to make things pleasant. I have no complaints regarding our cabin stewards. They were very pleasant and work hard. We prepaid for all of our excursions and had one booked at every port, which was a huge mistake. We arrived to Mykonos waiting outside on the port for our excursion, with no direction. After about 30 mins of waiting on the port for someone to help us (keep in mind the stops at each port are very short, only a few hours), we managed to find the Assistant Manager, and asked her about our excursion and what we need to do. She was, to say the very least, rude and not at all helpful. She proceeded to blame us for the excursion being cancelled, due to lack of participation (how is that our fault?). We proceeded to ask her what we now needed to do to tour the island, as we were confused and uninformed about the cancellation. In front of everyone on the port began to scream at us stating she is “not our slave” and “everyone on the island speaks English - ask them what to do.” She further continued to blame us, stating it is our responsibility to know if our excursion is cancelled. We proceeded to tell her before leaving the cruise ship we tried to speak with someone at the excursions desk, but they said they can’t help as the desk is closed, when we went to the reception they told us they don’t know anything. She continued to blame us and other departments of the ship and said “Well the housekeeper should tell you…Reception doesn’t know anything… ”. Rather than trying to help us all she did was yell, scream and push blame on irrelevant people and departments. We finally set out to explore the island by ourselves. Upon our return we spoke with the Manager of Shore Excursions about the issue. We asked to speak with her alone, but she refused and said I am aware of everything as I was present. That left us completely confused, because if she was indeed present why did she not assist us on the island, rather than watch her staff humiliate us like that? Anyway, we proceeded to explain the situation to her and inquired about a refund for our excursion. She again refused to assist us and instead of listening to us blamed us for the ordeal. She further called us liars about what happened. She insisted that the way we were treated by her Assistant Manager was warranted because we were the problem. It was absolutely unprofessional and uncalled for. Needless to say nothing was resolved and NO REFUND was discussed, as they said we have to talk to our agent. Excursion #2 was also cancelled “Due to Lack of Participation” however this time they slid a note under our cabin door informing us. We again went to the Shore Excursion Office and spoke regarding our options. Again a replay of the rudeness from the previous day. She basically said we can join another excursion on the island since ours was cancelled. We asked her how that works since we prepaid for ours. Would they refund us for ours and charge us for the new as all excursions are priced different? She snapped and said even exchange. We basically prepaid for particular excursions that they took money for and did not receive the service we paid for. By the end of our cruise, we still had not been able to get refund the cancelled excursion, in addition we literally got cheated by them providing us with even exchanges with excursions that cost a lot less than our cancelled excursions. By the last day we were completely annoyed and I asked for my refund for the cancelled Mykonos excursion. This is just the quick version of how were treated. The idea behind this cruise was to see various Greek islands in a short span of time and not entertain yourself on a cruise ship. However, the cruise ship provided neither, and was quite expensive for the lack of services they provided. Frankly, there isn't very much to do on the ship, and the Excursions department ensures you don’t enjoy your time on the islands and basically takes your money and not provides you the service. The only thing I enjoyed about this cruise was the day I disembarked and I still have not received my refunds for all my cancelled excursions or an apology from the cruise line about how horribly we were treated even though we paid quite a bit of money for the cruise. Very unprofessional and untrained excursion staff. I would not recommend this cruise line to anyone. Overall, were it not for the lack of customer service and if they can get there excursion department organized, then the cruise line is a good option to use as a means of transportation to see various islands in a short span of time.

Waste of Money, Very Rude and Unorganized