3. Celebrity Solstice
Only a Quick Review here. We have done several Alaska Cruises over the past 15 years, and this one ranks very well but not the greatest. Our review may be a bit slanted however, as we have been more than spoiled in the past on Celebrity. We took our first ever cruise in 2001 on the brand spanking new Infinity (to Alaska), which went on to be the highest rated ship in the Conde Naste survey several years in a row. Celebrity service, food quality, and overall experience in the early 2000's was insanely good. Bottom Line: We were extremely spoiled in the past. That being said, this was a very good cruise. This is only the 2nd time we've been on any S type ship, and for us, the jury is still out. Our last 2 Celebrity Cruises were on Century, and we absolutely loved that ship. The jump from approximately 1850 passengers to over 2850 is very noticeable. Not to say that the mood was colder on Solstice, but it just felt not quite as friendly. And I am very sure it was not so friendly during the Juneau Tendering Experience. Lucky for us, we are at Elite status and missed what seemed liked organized chaos. Note that Solstice alternates every week from Tendering to Docking in Juneau. Just some random thoughts: 1) Our Cabin Steward was excellent and kept us very well attended. Sanjay P deserves special recognition. I describe the room and service in our Cabin Review below. 2) The food was just okay this time. I do believe the food quality has diminished substantially since we first started cruising Celebrity. This is a known fact on the Cruise critic boards, so I will not elaborate. I did however find that the SPE certified meals were all extremely good. The Aqua Spa Café is my go to place for Breakfast, as is the made to order eggs and eggs benedict station in the Oasis Café. All of the fish Dishes were great. My wife however does not eat fish, and had a harder time finding something she enjoyed. She really enjoyed the fresh cut fruit though. Hum. We did however eat in Murano for our anniversary. As always, Murano is excellent and worth every penny. Save an appetite for it however. 3) We had PERFECT weather, almost too perfect. It was warm and sunny everyday. I think many of us overpacked the cold clothes. Cannot complain however. 4) Tons of Wildlife: We saw Bald Eagles everywhere, and on the trip back down to Victoria, a super pod of Humpbacks. One did a full breach literally 100 yards off the bow. The weather to Tracey Arm was spectacular, but we did not get very close to the glacier as there was too many ice bergs. 5) Embarkation and Disembarkation was a breeze, at least for us. We had a late arrival and late departure, so no sweat whatsoever. However we did cut it a bit close trying to arrive in Seattle on a 2pm flight. Expect heavy traffic in Seattle both getting to and leaving the pier as it is a Friday and there is major road construction everywhere. They are building a tunnel to replace the old freeway. 6) CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN: Solstice is well maintained and amazingly clean at all times. They also do a great job of containing any norovirus threat with public notices on the TV and the Purell Splash ladies at every food entrance. Bathrooms were clean, café was clean. Pool and Sauna was clean. Very clean! 7) Activities staff: I think they are down to 2 people now, but they did a great job. We went to the Bingo and Trivia sessions and saw the Family Feud show. All a lot of fun and those guys were great. 8) Brent Nixon: Hands down the best Alaska presenter out there. Noone can deny this. Overall we had a great time and got the rest and relaxation we needed. It wasn't my favorite Alaskan itinerary, but It got us a good feel for Alaska. We are still just a little more in favor of the smaller ships in general, however.

Well The Fresh Fruit Was Good !!

Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by curtdesilets

• Sail Date: May 2015
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Class

That being said, this was a very good cruise.

Just some random thoughts:

curtdesilets’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Solstice price drops

Concierge Class
Cabin C3 1011
The CC Cabin (1011) was excellent, and our cabin steward may have been the best we've had in over 20 years. Sanjay P. was attentive, met our special requests immediately and kept the stateroom sparkling clean in minutes after we departed. It was nothing short of miraculous.

The cabin design on the S-type ships is very good for a regular sized balcony. We had last done a Sky Suite on Century, and really, a regular verandah cabin is more than adequate in terms of Size and functionality. Only bummer: no bathtub.
Sky Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• White Pass Scenic Railway
    Excellent scenery, especially if it's sunny as it was for us. We took the afternoon train which was delayed an hour or so. The extra wait in line was a bit excruciating, but the trip itself was so good that it made up for it.
    View All 1,105 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews