3. Princesse d'Aquitaine
Although I've been on lots of ocean cruises, this was my first river cruise experience. I had precise dates for the cruise, due to being booked into a chateau in the Bordeaux region mid-May. After a lengthy search for Bordeaux cruises in May, I happened across CroisiEurope, which went exactly where we wanted to go and at the right time. And also, when I saw the price, I knew it was exactly what we wanted. The shp was moored in central Bordeaux (Chartrons) - a lovely area with plenty of things within walking distance. The ship is quite small compared to the big players - holding about 150 people in all. We were greeted by the crew, who helped us with our bags to our cabin on the lower deck. The cabins are smallish but functional, the bathroom is tiny but didn't really bother us (except for the shower curtain which tended to stick to you!). There are no drawers (except in the side tables) but plenty of shelf space and hanging space. Only amenities are a TV and hairdryer but, again, we didn't spend much time in the cabin so no big deal for us. I'd say the cabins were a little dated but they were very clean. Being a small ship, there is also a small crew, who seem to do everything - serving, cleaning, entertaining. All spoke very good English and were very friendly. The ship has a bar, restaurant, small shop and sun deck. Entertainment was mainly a pianist/violinist as well as a crew show and some quizzes. There is only one sitting for dinner (about 7-7.30) and we were sat with English speaking guests, who were great fun. Food was very good; if there was something you didn't want, they would go out of their way to get you something else. The bar was the main hub of activitiy and there were free drinks all day and all night. It was a very nice place to go and relax after a day's sightseeing and it closed about midnight, so not a lot of noise (we were directly below it!). There was a 'cocktail of the day', which of course I had to sample for this review! Wine was available at the dinner talbe for free and they had some very good choices (or you could bring your own, as some people who visited wineries did). We sailed mainly in the mornings, so had a chance to relax and watch the beautiful scenery go past. Moorings were generally right in town so walkable. We didn't do any of the excursions, but I heard that most of them were very good. Be warned that most places are closed Sunday and Monday, so in hindsight it may have been a good idea to go on the excursions on those days. We stopped a Pauillac firstly and were given a private wine tasting by one of the few shops open on a Sunday, then onto Blaye, where we morred beside the Citadel, an absolutely gorgeous place with lovey shops and cafes. Our final stop before our overnighter in Bordeaux was Libourne, which has a train to St Emilion (another gorgeous lace). Finally back to Bordeaux and our gala dinner. This is a family run business and extremely good value for money. It is a 'budget' cruise, in that there are not many frills, but well worth it. Free bar, great food, lovely crew, free wifi and good itinerary. Nice to be on a small ship, where lots of friends were made. Croisieurope has cruises all over Europe, so we'll definitely try another one in the future.

Lovely Cruise, Fantastic Value