• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match
  • Cruise Tips

Allure of the Seas Review

Editor Rating
64 Awards

One disappointment after another.

Review for Allure of the Seas to the Western Mediterranean
jalbetski@cox.net
6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: May 2015
Cabin:

Our problems with this ship started before we even boarded. We found the website very difficult to navigate and wrought with errors. We could not get a seating in the Main Dining room, so had to have "My Time" dining. After spending hours booking our reservation for dinner every night and choosing our entertainment for the full cruise, I felt like this was more work that it was worth. The company refers to it as "Building my Perfect Cruise Experience".

When booking tours, I was surprised to find no tours available for Barcelona. I called and was told the that the staff would be too busy with passengers that were Embarking and Disembarking to have tours available for the "Interporting" passengers. What? This is the first I had heard this term, I did not know what I had signed on for when I purchased a cruise that was advertised as a 7day Western Mediterranean cruise leaving from Rome. When I bumped the question up through the chain of command, they said they looked into offering tours in Barcelona, but there were not enough passengers Interporting to warrant a tour, so sorry, but you can Google tours in Barcelona to take on your own. I pointed out that I had paid no less for this cruise than the Barcelona passengers, yet I was getting less. Again, they were "sorry" for my inconvenience. I was also told that Interporting was a new concept they were trying.

When we arrived in Rome, our bags did not appear on the carousel. We filed a baggage claim and were told that the luggage would be put on the next flight to Rome (from Philly) and would be sent to the ship at the first port in Naples. When we boarded the ship, we went to customer service as instructed and were told that they would stay on top of the situation to assure that our bags were found and returned to us ASAP. We were given a travel kit with a few basic supplies and a cheap T shirt. When our bags did not appear in Naples, we were offered a Tuxedo loaner for my husband, which he was measured for in the middle of the Promenade, and I was to look in their "closet" to find a dress to wear for formal night. The closet could have belonged to my grandmother, but I chose something that would fit and tried to make the best of it. The next day was an "At Sea" day, so there was no hope of luggage. The company had nothing else to offer, no vouchers or discounts for clothing, just laundry, but the turnaround was a full day, so this was not very helpful. They were adamant that this was not their problem, but since I purchased my flights through Choiceair, I feel they share in the responsibility. So a day at Sea with no swimwear was not much fun. We did shop for a few pieces of clothing and shoes at prices far exceeding what we would normally pay. Oh yes, The largest ship in the world does not sell women's underwear in any shop, we found out. We tried to make the best of the cruise in spite of this problem, but it seriously affected our experience. And, by the way, we found that the next port of Barcelona did now have tours, but they were full! 1400 passengers had gotten on at Rome! Our luggage did not arrive until day 5 of the cruise. I still believe that RCCL could offer more for passengers with this issue, and we found that it happens often, especially in Europe!

Port Reviews

Rome (Civitavecchia)

We stayed 3 nights in Rome after the cruise. It was very hot and crowded but we were glad we went. Traffic made touring difficult, we wished we could have seen more, but time did not allow.

previous reviewnext review