3. Norwegian Breakaway
This was our second cruise with NCL. Our previous was September 2014 on the Getaway. So we are not against big ships but the BA did not compare to the GA experience. It wasn't awful, we had fun and enjoyed our time. It was convenient for us coming from DC to take the train to NYC. We came up the day before and spent the night (Waldorf Astoria) and then Ubered to the port the next day. That process was easy. There as a huge traffic back up around 10:30 AM when we were trying to arrive. I don't know if this is normal or not since this was our first time going out of Manhattan. The terminal was very large and I felt like the staff just weren't very friendly. We did have a very nice porter to help with our luggage but those inside were not friendly, they just seemed to be going through the motions. When we checked in, we did not have the room that I had booked or that matched my luggage tags but I did not want to stand in the line again since they said there were no empty cabins so I figured there was nothing they could do to help me. I did ask at Guest Relations once on the ship. It took them two days to get back to me and I had to follow up to check on the status. This delay was do to the communication back and forth from the shore. We never received an explanation but the offer of a $100 on board credit. The reason that I was not happy about this was that we were traveling with 2 other groups and had all booked together. We were in the same type of cabin just much further forward than we booked. Since we had traveled on the GA previously, we felt comfortable getting around the ship. This time we did not have the UDP so we mainly ate in the main dining rooms. To us, The Manhattan room was the nicest. While the menu is basically the same, it seemed that the service was better here. The exception was Cagney's. I feel it is well worth the $30 surcharge. We had booked reservations for our party of 10 in advance with the exception of one night because we wanted to try Shanghai. It was good but I would not have wanted to pay extra for it. The balcony is not large but they are still nice to have. We were traveling with two young (6 & 8) kids. The key is to use the drawers under the sofa and we used the little stool for our dirty clothes. I also had backed kids size hangers for my kids clothes so we were able to hang almost everything except the small things. We were not pleased with our room steward because he seemed to never be around. We had to call the first night to have the bunk pulled down. We often did not see him until we were coming back to the room to put the kids to bed. I don't feel the room was every well cleaned. (there were sunglasses from a previous cruiser behind the cushion on the sofa. I did also speak to guest relations about this but I don't think it accomplished anything. Our traveling companions that were on the same hall had an awesome room steward that we always say around. Our kids enjoyed the kids club and were excited to see a youth counselor from our previous cruise. They really do a great job with keeping the kids entertained. The kids previous experience was with a Disney kids club which they hated. The ship has so many other things that are fun to do on sea days. It's all about what you make of it. We really enjoyed doing some of the organized activities. The water slides, ropes course, rock climbing wall and putt putt are all enjoyable. The shows were great. The kids LOVED the 7 pm show of Second City but it was a rush to make it with 5:30 pm dinner reservations. They also liked Burn the Floor. The adults enjoyed Rock of Ages. It was awesome but certainly adult only. We were shocked with the parents that brought kids. Disembarkation was easier than I expected, the line really kept moving. I was also surprised at how easy it was to get a cab. As people were dropped off, you could just take their cab. The staff was fine but there were only a few standouts. Rachel and Jay from Shakers were fun and very friendly. This is just a comparison to our experience on the GA. It's not something that ruined the cruise but rather just not something that took it to the next level. I think I preferred the crowd of people on the GA to those on the BA. There seemed to be a lot of people that had no problem with shouting profanity while kids are around. I just don't think that you need to say effing this and effing that a million times in a sentence. The elevators only seemed to really be difficult when things let out. But generally, it was never a problem. With that said, we also planned in advance and booked all of our dinners and shows that we could. I think people that didn't do this were unhappy. We really like NCL and the newer ships. We are booked on the GA 9/16 and Escape 4/17.

Not the best but still a nice vacation

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by naedietcoke

Ages 7 to 9
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Family Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B2 12140
It was fine. They are not large for 4 people but we really only were there to sleep and enjoy the balcony while the kids slept.
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Horseshoe Bay Beach
    We took the #7 bus to Horseshoe Bay Beach. It was a very easy experience. The bus driver on the way there was amazing and was giving those near him all sorts of details on the island and culture. The water was a little rougher than we expected but the kids still had a blast in the waves.
    View All 10 Horseshoe Bay Beach Reviews
  • Snorkeling
    We did a private charter with Hat Trick, a sail boat, with Capt. Keith and his wife Gwen. It was amazing and we would highly recommend it. We did it in the morning of our first day. The weather was overcast with some light rain but it did not take away from being a great experience.
    View All 7 Snorkeling Reviews
  • New York (Manhattan)
    Manhattan is a very easy port to get out of. We took the train from DC to Penn Station and spent the night prior to our cruise. This was very convenient. On the way home, it was also a very easy process. We were to the terminal well in advance of our noon train.
    View All 1,035 New York (Manhattan) Cruise Port Reviews