3. Carnival Sunshine
I just wanted to leave a brief review of my trip on the Carnival Sunshine. I have to give a full disclosure here, my wife and I have been sort of ‘cruise snobs’ and have never really considered Carnival. The trip we just completed was the 8 day southern Caribbean trip, and we just returned yesterday. First of all, when reading the other reviews of this ship I was very anxious because so many absolutely panned the ship as overcrowded, nothing to do, dirty, etc., etc. As I stated before, this was our first Carnival cruise. We have cruised with NCL, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean, having taken maybe 7 cruises over the past 14 years. This cruise, without a doubt, was the best I've ever been on. THE BEST. I went with my wife and 13 year old son. I (we) had a blast! The food was so much better, tastier, and more available (all hours) than on the other ships I’ve cruised. My son really enjoyed the Circle C for young teens program, and made many friends who he continues texting since we’ve been home. The layout of the ship -- where most of the kids are towards the back with the youth programs, the sportsquare, and waterpark -- seems to separate many of the younger patrons from adults who want to simply chill out and enjoy the environment. The ship was very clean (great new upgraded decor from the Destiny), and our cabin steward friendly. As far as entertainment, I found the nightly shows very compelling. On those nights that we didn’t go to the movies, the comedy at the Limelight was hilarious. There were also guitar players (Tim especially) that were perfect to just sit, relax, and watch play. I did do the slides, and played basketball (to the best of my ability). However, my favorite part was the Dive-in movies, where we would sit out under the stars in the middle of the cool ocean breeze and watch shows on the big screen. Not sure if they do this on other lines, but I certainly have not had this experience before - wonderful. Our cruise director Jamie was the most engaged and energetic of any cruise I’ve been on. I had a nice personal conversation with her on the second day – very friendly. As for the crowds, well, we had the 6:00 dinner seating and I never waited in any line for dinner. Of course there are so many stations at the buffet it was never an issue. Great, I mean GREAT, burgers at Guys Burger joint (outstanding seasoning on the fries as well). Sat with two other families and had great conversation each night; we were always the last table to leave. The obstacle course was fun, and I did do the waterslides - okay, not outstanding though. Cons – not many. The comedy club was almost always standing room only, but simply getting there 10 minutes early was all that was needed to get a great seat – both there and at the Liquid lounge for evening shows. This initial disembarkation at Aruba was a bit of a cattle call, but at the other two ports we had no problems. The ship is so large, and there are so many things to do I think that naturally people just tend to gravitate to where they want to be and crowds (at least for me) were not an issue. One other disclosure – we did have a balcony, although I didn’t use it much. Overall, I can honestly say that I will cruise Carnival from here on. My kid loved it, my wife loved it, and I loved it. It was a great time. I will be back. DEFINITELY!

I loved this cruise.