3. Allure of the Seas
I wanted to LOVE this ship, I really did, but on leaving the ship after a very enjoyable weeks cruise I actually felt glad to be off it. I really don’t know why as what I am about to say it mostly positive. Firstly, embarkation - We landed in BCN at around 1030hrs and by midday we were sitting in Central Park enjoying the highly recommended first day lunch – the roast beef sandwich! Check in at the port was so quick and stress free it was almost unbelievable. In addition to this we managed to get into our cabin by 1245hrs. Perfect start! Post unpacking we explored the ship before taking in the view of Barcelona from the huge hot tub that hangs out of the ships side and offers amazing views. The ship lives up to the hype.. its big and tricks you into forgetting you are actually on a ship at all. At times you are reminded how many people are on board but for most of the time there is enough space for it not to feel crowded. We loved the central park area which, as well as the solarium, was the most relaxing part of the ship. Sitting outside Vintages in the evening, enjoying a nice glass of wine, was bliss. On the other side I thought the Boardwalk area was a bit tacky and the Aqua Theatre underused. If only Central Park extended right though and the Aqua Theatre was actually a nice pool. We did the following dining options – My Time Dining in American Icon – newly refurbished but still your typical cruise ship dining room. The food was not so bad and the service was very good (big shout out to Loyda our waitress). Izumi – really liked this restaurant and the food was fantastic. Highly recommend if you like good sushi 150 Central Park – the restaurant itself is lovely but the food was awful!!! 1st course was a tasteless salad followed by under cooked pasta (also tasteless). The main (beef) was ok, noting special and the dessert was dry and equal quality as what you get across the park in Park Café! To top it all the waiter ended the meal by trying to sell (HARD SELL) us a cook book and a wine decanter. We were expecting this to be the highlight of the cruise (dining wise) but it was extremely disappointing. Sabor – LOVED IT!!! My favourite by far. The food was so tasty and fresh. This was a bit of a shocker as I thought we took a chance with Sabor but it turned out to be fantastic. We took the $19 pp tasting menu but be warned, the portion sizes are huge! Very enjoyable evening and all washed down with cucumber margaritas. Breakfast – first morning we went to Jhonny Rockets but the food and service were both awful. After this we stuck to the Solarium which was perfect and never crowded We opted for the premium and select drinks package which we managed to use better then anticipated and we calculated that we went over every day so we got more than our moneys worth.. however keeping track is very hard as RCL have clearly decided to hide all the drinks menus. Aside from the English pub and Vintages all the other bars had basic drinks menus and you usually had to ask for it. Now why would RCL do that I wonder….?? Ports of call were all great with the exception of Marseilles. You dock miles out of town and unlike Palma or La Spezia the port offers the most pathetic free transfer that’s still a good 20 mins walk from the ship. RCL of course offer an extremely overpriced transfer which is a better option but if Palma can offer an extremely organised and cheap transfer to town, and La Spezia offering a free transfer, why can’t Marseilles?? Awful port and 'ok' city. We only took one excursion (Pompeii on your own transfer) which RCL cancelled and put us on an early morning tour (original was pm) which we were not happy about. This excursion only gave us 1hr40 in Pompeii during the morning peak.. so we saw about a third of what we wanted to see. Huge mistake not doing Pompeii our way by train. We did most of the shows – Aqua Show – underwhelming and badly performed. Tell Me on a Sunday – Performed amazingly well but bad choice for a cruise ship. It was lost on a majority of the audience, most of whom walked out. I on the other hand really enjoyed it. Its a very British musical lost on a very international audience. Blue Planet – Mix Glee with Cirque de Solei and throw in a bit of Eurovision and you get Blue Planet. Its super camp but well done and entertaining. Comedy – very good, fab venue Ice Games – strange theme but this was my favorite. Performed very well. All in all we had a fun week but getting away from 6000 people felt good. I think Voyager class is more to my liking.. but then again Central Park is something quite special. Something just didn’t work for me on this ship and I really don’t know what it is. Maybe its just too big, maybe the feeling of being on a cruise is lost, maybe the fact there are so many people meant we came across a higher than average number of rude/undesirable passengers. Who knows! I doubt I will travel Allure again but would still recommend it.

Fab Week on the Med!

Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by welshy74

We did the following dining options –

We did most of the shows –

Aqua Show – underwhelming and badly performed.

Comedy – very good, fab venue

Ice Games – strange theme but this was my favorite. Performed very well.

welshy74’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas price drops

Nice cabin. Really comfy bed, good shower, good storage and our attendant was excellent.
We had a Boardwalk view room which is great for a one off experience but would go back to Sea View balcony in future.
Amazingly the balcony windows are extremely soundproofed so you get no noise from the boardwalk below.. however this is a connecting room and the connecting door is not soundproofed. We could here everything going on in the cabin next to us..!! On the first night I woke up convinced they were in our cabin!
TIP - AVOID connecting rooms!!
  Allure of the Seas Deck Plans