Emerald Princess Cruise Review
1,737 Reviews

Perfect for port intensive cruise but lacking on days at sea

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by jumpjump

• Sail Date: May 2015
  • Destination: Europe

I booked this cruise based on the port stops. I read most of the reviews on cruise critic before boarding so I knew what to expect. The ship was clean & very nice. I'm not picking on misc-- won't be checking out whether they need a new carpet, etc. The layout of the ship was good. I did not join any of the ships excursions. I booked in advance small private tours (found off the internet).

My room was a nice size & placement of furniture/size was fine. This was a port intensive cruise so we were not in the room so much (just 1 day at sea). Cabin was always kept clean & when we left for port, the room was clean & while we went to dinner, our beds turn down.

We had early dinner seating. Wait staff was great. Service was good. I didn't care for the food much. There was a variety of choices but I find that it seems that I cannot find a medium rare steak throught the week. I even asked them to find a piece that can moo back. Every plate of steak I requested or my party did was well done... not even a little pink. I gave up on that. The buffet was good. Small selection but everyday is different. In the mornings, very hard to find a place to sit. Crowds come in intervals. Some mornings it's very easy to get a table & some morns, none. If you don't mind sitting outside, there's more seats.

Every night there's a show or 2. My party will always try to catch the first show. I tend to wander out either in the middle or towards the end. I did not find the show well done as other ships I'd been on. I actually stayed for the whole thing of "Sound of Music" movie in the theatre than staying for one of their shows. Basic broadway type/singing/dancing/comedy shows. It was just not done well.

Live music was great. There was a few places that had live music every night. After 10/10:30, I think everyone on the ship is asleep. I would wander place to place looking for find something to do-- even the casino is semi-empty. I'm w/ my mother & her friends & Majority of the ship is of the same age -- so if you're looking for late night entertainment.. none. I ended up chatting up the barstaff every night (not a drinker either).

Good trip -- port stop but ship was a little lacking if you are looking for both.

jumpjump's Full Rating Summary

Cabin E 511

Nice size. Always clean. One complaint was the shower curtain--- water on the floor. I rather have doors instead of a shower curtain.

Montserrat Walking Tour

We did a Montserrat tour with this company. It was pick up from cruise ship port, tour & drop off at hotel. They picked up at a timely fashion & the tour was great. Guide gave some history info & accompanied us to the sites. Pointed out best place for photos & what to look for, etc. Before dropping us off at the hotel, he also had recommendations on places to eat & info on what we can do on our own. Great tour!

View All 118 Montserrat Walking Tour Reviews
Private Tour

Before arriving to Barcelona, my party of 6 signed up for a multi day tour that started from Lisbon, Portugal. This was a 8 day tour. From Lisbon, we traveled throughout Spain & ending in Barcelona. The tour was poor. The guide didn't seem to want to be there. He brought along his girlfriend & would leave us at the sights & let us do our own thing. My friend who recommended this tour stated that their guide went into the sites & did the explanation. So I do not know what happened here. Not taking this tour every again or traveling with this agency. They also couldn't get us a hotel in Lisbon because of a final soccer game happen to be the same day of arrival. Our tour was booked 1 yr in advance & how is there no rooms available. Travel agency did not do their homework! I booked a separate tour in Lisbon because our arrival was at 6 AM & they mentioned that as travel agents, they should know what's going on/events, etc.

View All 54 Private Tour Reviews
City Tour

I arranged pick up from Athens Airport upon arrival & begin Athens city tour & Cape Sounion. Since arriving not early enough & not really late, I did not want to waste the day. Our party of 6 arrived 10 AM & off we went. I was in contact with Frank by email (great communication) & he figured out what to do best & so we would miss the crowds. The tour was great. We had a driver & a guide with us. The day we arrived it was very windy but the sites were amazing! Great tour. We had a late lunch & they dropped us off at our hotel. Stayed until we were checked-in & made sure we were good before leaving us. They also told us what was available to do near our hotel which was great. Got some delicious fruits & walked around the Plaka.

View All 164 City Tour Reviews
Delphi Walking Tour

So instead of arriving early in Athens before our cruise began, I set up a 3 day tour to Argolis, Ancient Olympia & Delphi. Frank, who I'd been in contact with was my driver & at each location, we had a separate tour guide. The guides were great! Full of information! Great thing about private tours, you can come & go as you please & change the itinerary. We made great time..

We even had time to throw in Meteora. If you're visiting & if you have time, that's definitely a place you should visit. Great views & beautiful monasteries!

Definitely recommend Hellenice Private Tours. Great guides/drivers! They also have great networking. Since we threw in Meteora last minute, we had to change our hotel. Because of their good relations w/ the hotels, we were able to get a 3 rooms last minute & canceling the reserved rooms w/o penalty.

View All 14 Delphi Walking Tour Reviews