Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review
2,092 Reviews

The gang that couldn't shoot straight

Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by HAGA

• Sail Date: May 2015
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

Took the explorer of the seas out of Southampton on our second cruise to the Norwegian Fjords . . . our third on Royal Caribbean and 60th overall. Our cabin, and expanded veranda on deck 7, was the highlight of the trip.

The crew, the worst aspect.

The food was a disappointment . . . something like eating three meals a day in an Applebees! Eight dinners and eight breakfasts served to our party of four resulted in not one meal being served in anything resembling the correct order (for example I got desert one night before my wife had her entrée), The food quality matched the service.

But worst was the crew's attitude toward those of use with mobility challenges . . . no help was offered either on boarding or leaving the ship. In fact in most ports the crew watched me try to maneuver a walker on and off the ship.

At debarkation the guest services desk pre-arranged for a wheelchair to help me exit for a 6:45AM departure to a ship - run bus to the airport. Only they would not provide a wheelchair until 7:30AM and the answer to my "what do I do" question was "either skip the tour or walk" with emphasis on the fact they would not refund the tour ticket price.

I have been on several other cruise lines with my walker. Costa goes out of their way to assure safety and comfort . . .NCL is not far behind. RCI I am sure cares as well, but this ships crew never seems to have "gotten the memo".

I even spoke with a guest services manager who told me "this is the way it is".

HAGA's Full Rating Summary

Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony
Cabin D3 7336

Good size and layout. Very comfortable and well positioned for ship services

Southampton

One of the best ports we have seen to start and end a cruise. If you use the Holiday Inn on the dock you can walk to the ship and have a great pre-cruise dinner!

Rotterdam

More commercial than historic or pretty sights. Interesting but make sure the ship has bus service into town as the walk is pretty far. The downtown areas offers good shopping.

Flam

Flam was really great on our first visit, and still has some interesting venues to see. But they have re-done the port area and it now looks like a cruise ship dock area from the Caribbean . . .packaged stores and restaurants.

Have coffee and a waffle in the dock tavern!

Alesund

This was the sleeper stop of our trip. We used the hop-on-hop off bus the move around and found both the town and areas interesting and exciting. Make sure to get to the mountain view point and visit the outdoor museum.

Stavanger

Interesting both from the city itself and surrounding area. Make sure to visit the old town, and if you like steamed mussels this is the place for them!

HAGA