Britannia Cruise Review

POOR Britannia does not rule !!!

Britannia Cruise Review by ian cawley

• Sail Date: Apr 2015
  • Destination: Europe

We were so disappointed with the trip we have just come back from on the brand new Britannia liner.

my wife is disabled and whilst the accommodation on the boat was fine for our needs, moving around the boat via the lifts which were too small and too few was very difficult, we witnessed many people struggling with the lift service and the volume

of people trying to use them because of the lack of stairs midships added to the problem.

One of my biggest disappointments was the allocated freedom restaurant which for us was the peninsula restaurant ,the food being served could be likened to school dinners / pub grub and not acceptable - for example dish of the day was Lancashire hot pot, this was abysmal.

A prawn cocktail starter was just dreadful, tomato soup like water , an egg mayonnaise that resembled a quails egg with a dob of mayo I also asked for some butter to go with my stale roll , and the waiter took a pot of half used butter from an adjacent table and plonked it in frontOf me., I was astounded. I almost forgot the sirloin steak words escape me !!

The waiters had no idea what I was talking about regards getting my wife’s food pureed, i may have well banged my head against a brick wall My wife survived mainly on cheese cake during the week and the Weetabix in the morning for substance.

We tried to book the Epicurean but this had been fully booked before sailing, what use is that to any body? We then discovered the Beach house , thank goodness. Although this did incur extra costs for the pleasure ie an entrance fee plus extras for certain dishes

the food and service in the beach house was excellent although we still had the same issues regarding the pureed food for my wife which we had to pre order the day before , the meal did arrive when requested but alas the art of pureed food was a failure and we

struggled to give my wife proper pureed food and again my wife survived on cheesecakes and mousse.

Listening to lots of people with similar opinions to the food on the boat I expect there were will be several comments and letters to P&O regarding the menu and restaurants. The horizon buffet food was always of a high standard , we had breakfast in there every day.

We never once had lunch or re visited the Peninsula after our first night experience.

It was disappointing that no food was available in the Brodies bar , not even complimentary crisps or nuts these you had to pay for I could go on but what is the point, I spent a lot of money on two suites and did not get any value for money and feel really disappointed.

The overall atmosphere on the boat was missing, entertainment was sparse, with very little to do during the day on the boatI am sorry to be a pain but I am not normally one to complain but the above needs saying.

I look forward to my cruise in July on the Queen Elizabeth , a proper ship

i did contact P&O with regards to the problems and had a call back offering a discount on another trip, but having paid for the cost of the above trip and the extra costs incurred on the dining in the beach house etc we will not be considering a trip with P&O again.

ian cawley's Full Rating Summary

Cabin suite B627

Fine cabin trouble is the balcony was tiny you couldn't swing a sausage !!!!!!

ian cawley