This was a trip of a lifetime.
We have travelled a lot, but this way exceeded our expectations.
Here are 10 reasons why people should do this particular trip -
1. Understanding Alaska
Being a company with native routes, they have a true understanding and empathy with the nature, the wildlife, the people, the balance.
2. The food is great.
3. The parent company, Allen Marine, has a really mpressive infrastructure in the area - so if something unforeseen happens (and occasionally it does) they are able to solve it seamlesslessly, effortlessly without inconveniencing the passengers in any way. This is great, proactive management.
4. Being a small ship - they are able to nestle up close under glaciers, to change course to follow a pod of whales, to moor up in small native Indian communities.
5. Being 50 people on board, you have the opportunity to discover real friendships. Also, with just 50 people on board - when you arrive somewhere you do not swamp or overwhelm the town.
6. The bar prices are entirely reasonable.
7. The itinerary combines classic Alaska, stunning wildlife and an insight into the indigenous people of Southern Alaska.
8. Our captain, Captain Ken, totally understood what we, the passengers, hoped for from our Alaskan Adventure and made every effort, turned every corner, did everything he possibly could to deliver it.
9. I doubt that you could find a more smiley, more positive staff and crew aboard a boat in North America than this lot. They were a delight.
10. I paid a little bit extra to get a larger cabin - would I have paid twice as much for the Alaska Dream Experience - yes I would!
Well done, one and all.
And if all this wasn't enough - the sun shone for 8 days, the glaciers 'calved' and the killer whales came out to play!
Bigger than the others on board, with 3 picture windows looking over the front of the Admiralty Dream - a bit more expensive, but well worth it. I booked pretty early and got a sufficiently generous discount which made this room affordable.