3. Freedom of the Seas
This was our 3rd cruise with Royal Caribbean and by far the best. This was also our first cruise on a "large" ship and our first on Freedom. Long review but hopefully helpful to new Freedom of the Seas cruisers. First, we (family of four including 2 adult children) flew into Orlando the night before and used a "Fly, Shuttle, Sleep" package offered by Comfort Inn and Suites of Cocoa Beach. Highly recommend it as it took all of the fuss out of the trip. Very courteous and professional driver from TravelLynx met us just outside of baggage claim. After picking up another passenger, we headed to Cocoa Beach and the driver provided a nice "tourist guide" to the area and Cocoa Beach, pointing out various local restaurants within walking distance to the hotel. Total package with taxes was $375.42. It also included a pretty good buffett breakfast in the morning and a shuttle (different company whose name I didn't write down) for the 15 minute morning trip to the brand new, very efficient and spacious port terminal. The Hotel itself is 2 blocks from the ocean (our room had a partially obstructed view, but still good) and was perfect. It is a little dated and folks have complained of the musty smell, but to me, that's just the smell of a beach hotel. That said, the staff was great, the room was clean, the bed comfortable. What more do you need? The evening prior to departure we walked over to a placed named Brano's Italian Grill. Slight wait for a table but excellent service and the food was the good (get the red sauce rather than the meat sauce)...the appetizers were excellent. In the morning, embarkation couldn't have been smoother. We arrived around 9:30, the doors opened at 10:00. We were in the large waiting area, all checked in with our Sea Passes by 10:30. At 11:00 they began boarding. We're Gold level Crown and Anchor and were on board by 11:30. We began our discovery walk around Freedom....and she is amazing. Absolutely beautiful, well kept (clean) and has a terrific crew. We were intimidated by the size and number of guest as this was our first "large" ship and except for once (the '70s Disco Night on the promenade) it never felt crowded. We set sail around 4:30 pm and had a lovely "sail away". We had booked the Mystery Dinner Theater in one of the specialty restaurants (Giovanni's Table) and highly recommend it....once. The show was fine (it features the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers) and yes, it is a bit corny, but it was fun....and the food was excellent. Our table mates (12 at a table) were very nice so...good food, good humor, good company, and beautiful views. It's a great way to try a speciality restaurant, which we'd never done before. We ended up eating at all three speciality restaurants this trip due to some refunds and on-board credits we received from our travel agent. Sabor is "modern" Mexican...and was our favorite. We also ate at Chops and although it was good, it really wasn't that different than an upscale Chop House or Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Nice, but not really sure if it was worth the "upcharge" ($35/person). Sabor is worth it ($25/person). Right at 1 pm on embarkation day our rooms were ready and we received our luggage by 3 pm. We had 2 adjoining room on Deck 3 mid-ship. Perfect. The adjoining room gave us our own space but made it easy to talk to our sons, gave us the use of 2 bathrooms and really make the space seem large. Beds were comfortable. Ours had an egg-shell foam topper which is a little soft for me but my wife and kids slept great. Our steward, Livingston from Jamaica, was the best we've encountered. He really pampered us, always had time for a brief conversation and was about the most pleasant person I've met. He worked really hard and always had a smile (and bath towel animal) for us. These folks work 7 days a week for 7 months at a time. I don't think I could do that and he managed to keep such a positive attidue about everything. Food was good throughout. It is what it is when you're feeding 4,000 people. Service in the Main Dining Room was excellent though the staff did seem a bit rushed. We choose the fixed time dining becuase we want to interact with the same dining service team. They also do "My Time" on the upper two levels, but we never sat there. However, most mornings we did breakfast in the Main Dining Room as well and again, always had great service. Unlike our smaller ships, Freedom sets up a mini-buffet in the Main Dining Room, so it is similar to Windjammer, but you don't have to fight for a table (my only complaint about Windjammer). The Windjammer is the big buffet area, and again, the food is good but finding a seat can be frustrating as you walk laps with your very tasty meal growing cold. On embarkation day, we actually ate our burgers standing up. Most of my meals were good and a couple were excellent. Appetizers and deserts are always good. My wife had both lamb shank (one night) and rack of lamb cuts (a different night) and was impressed with both. They also had lobster tails one night and both my wife and son enjoyed those. The shows were good. Standard "off-Broadway" kind of things, but we enjoy those. The comedian the first night was so-so. The comedian the last night was very funny. We didn't stay up for either of the "Adults only" comedy shows. They had some featured performers and those were excellent (trapeze/silk rope/ballet kind of thing). The Ice Show is a must see. On Day 6 the show is at night and I think it gets pretty packed. Earlier in the week (Day 2?) they have 2 matinee shows and we had great seats for the 1 pm show. Pools were great. Hot tubs that extend out over the water were very cool. It does get very busy on the pool deck, and even in the Solarium, but it was never "packed". Our kids are young adults so I can't speak much to the youth programs, but they do have them for all ages and there were lots of organized activities for all ages. From what I saw, it looked like the kids on the programs were having a good time. At one point, the little guys (4-6 years old?) had a pirate parade right down the Promenade singing songs they'd learned while dressed like Pirates. Very cute. Our son took advantage of the climbing wall and flow rider. There are lines, but they actually move pretty quickly for both. We also played putt-putt golf and that was fun...it's only 9 holes but you can go round and round if you like and it was actually fairly challenging. Departure was equally easy. We carried off our luggage, so they called us away at 6:45. The line was fairly long but they were disembarking from two points (fore and aft) so the line moved very quicly. We were down at Customs and Immigration by 7 am and outside the terminal 20 minutes later. The TravelLynx company has a desk just under the parking garage. We checked in and were loaded 5 minutes later and on the road 15 minutes after that. Easy drive back to Orlando Airport and pretty quick trip to check-in, drop bags, clear TSA and have breakfast in the waiting area. Very well done by the Orlando team. Excursions. We did a bit of a blow-out on this trip as our sons are beginning their own lives and we suspect his may be our last "family" vacation for awhile. In Labadee, our sons were signed up for Jet Skis but that ended up being cancelled due to rough seas. We also rented a cabana. I highly recommend this though it is a bit expensive. Suite guests get one included with their suite. Everyone else has to book them on board the ship. I think the rate is somewhere between $175 and $255 depending on which beach/cabana you want. We had one over the water at Nellie Beach. It comes with 4 big bottles of water and floaty mats, 4 deluxe beach loungers. The deal at Cocoa Cay is even better, but that's a different review. The cabanas also have stewards and they do everything they can to make it a great day. We were delayed into Labadee due to a medical emergency the night before, but we still had a great time. In Jamaica, we did the Chukka Horseback Ride N Swim. They picked us up pierside for about a 45-minute bus ride to the "ranch". Our guide gave a great guided tour as we drove there in a small bus pointing out a number of interesting features and there are some impressive views. Once at the "ranch" we met our horseback guides, received our helmets and safety brief. They then had us line up and matched riders to horses. The horses are in great shape, well trained and clearly cared for. We then set out on about a 30-40 minute trail ride over fairly gentle terrain and along the coastline (beautiful views). There is a lead guide and 3-4 other guides, so each guide keeps an eye on 4-6 riders. Our gentleman was named Andre and not only was he a great rider, he was also very entertaining and personable. Safety AND fun are their watchwords. After getting back to the ranch, there is a short break (chance to order lunch) and then you move to the beach where you're put back on a horse wearing a special riding blanket. You have to wear a safety belt like those used for water skiing. Then you head out into the water. Wow. What an experience. The horses love it, it's absolutely beautiful and a real rush to feel their power in the water. We came back and had a beer and some jerked chicken (excellent) with rice and beans and then it was time to head back to the pier. If you do this excursion, bring cash. They have t-shirts and other items to sell. They have a small bar (beer and rum punch were $5 each) and the lunch plate was $10. You don't have to buy it, but if you want it (and you will) you'll need cash. Once back at the pier, we did the very touristy thing and had a couple of margaritas at Margaritaville ($12/drink). The whole shopping area there is lovely. In Grand Cayman, we did the Cayman Jeep Wrangler Adventure and Beach Snorkel. Again, a bus picks you up near the tender drop off (that by the way was a concern of mine that I shouldn't have had...they run every 15 minutes or so and carry 250+ people per trip). After a 15-minute bus ride, we arrived at the Tiki Beach Resort. There we met our guide, Mason, recieved our safety brief, got our Jeeps and headed out. We literally drove the length and breadth of Grand Cayman. I've not been to a more beautiful place. Absolutely loved it. If you're worried about driving on the left side of the road...don't be. After several stops (and yes, some of them are just picture spots or tourist traps) we headed back to the Tiki Beach Resort. What was nice was that there was no pressure at any of the tourist traps and Mason did a great job of telling the story of Grand Cayman. Once back at the Tiki Beach Resort, we received coupons for a beach chair, a rum punch, and an access ticket for everything else they had to offer (at an upcharge) which is alot. Our sons snorkled in the crystal clear water while my wife and I enjoyed a good local beer (Caybrew). After about 2 hours the buses come back and take everyone back to their ship. This was the only unorganized part of the trip as it got a little chaotic with multiple tour groups from 3 different ships all jostling around, but if you keep your wits about you and your ears open, it works out. I wouldn't recommend the Jeep tour a second time (but perfect for a first time to Grand Cayman), but I would recommend the Tiki Beach Resort day pass they offer through Royal Carribbean. In Cozumel we went to Chankanaab for the Dolphin Push/Pull/Swim and Manatee Encounter. Amazing. Noami, our guide, couldn't have been more helpful or more organized. She made everything run great from start to finish and the encounters with the dolphin (and the manatee) were truly once in a lifetime "must do" things. Chnakanaab itself is a Mexican National Park and I'd highly recommend it for a "beach break" day. Plenty to see and do there or if you don't want to spend more money, just take in the beautiful views and waters. I think that's long enough. Enjoy Freedom of the Seas in the Western Caribbean!

WOW! What a cruise.

Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by TeamAnnapolis

Long review but hopefully helpful to new Freedom of the Seas cruisers.

I think that's long enough. Enjoy Freedom of the Seas in the Western Caribbean!
TeamAnnapolis’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 16+
Get Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas price drops

Freedom of the Seas Deck Plans

• Dolphin Swim & Encounter
    We went to Chankanaab for the Dolphin Push/Pull/Swim and Manatee Encounter. Amazing. Noami, our guide, couldn't have been more helpful or more organized. She made everything run great from start to finish and the encounters with the dolphin (and the manatee) were truly once in a lifetime "must do" things. Chankanaab itself is a Mexican National Park and I'd highly recommend it for a "beach break" day. Plenty to see and do there or if you don't want to spend more money, just take in the beautiful views and waters.
    View All 415 Dolphin Swim & Encounter Reviews
  • Horseback Riding
    View All 29 Horseback Riding Reviews
  • 4X4 Jeep Adventure
    A bus picks you up near the tender drop off (that by the way was a concern of mine that I shouldn't have had...they run every 15 minutes or so and carry 250+ people per trip). After a 15-minute bus ride, we arrived at the Tiki Beach Resort. There we met our guide, Mason, recieved our safety brief, got our Jeeps and headed out. We literally drove the length and breadth of Grand Cayman. I've not been to a more beautiful place. Absolutely loved it. If you're worried about driving on the left side of the road...don't be. After several stops (and yes, some of them are just picture spots or tourist traps) we headed back to the Tiki Beach Resort. What was nice was that there was no pressure at any of the tourist traps and Mason did a great job of telling the story of Grand Cayman. Once back at the Tiki Beach Resort, we received coupons for a beach chair, a rum punch, and an access ticket for everything else they had to offer (at an upcharge) which is alot. Our sons snorkled in the crystal clear water while my wife and I enjoyed a good local beer (Caybrew). After about 2 hours the buses come back and take everyone back to their ship. This was the only unorganized part of the trip as it got a little chaotic with multiple tour groups from 3 different ships all jostling around, but if you keep your wits about you and your ears open, it works out. I wouldn't recommend the Jeep tour a second time (but perfect for a first time to Grand Cayman), but I would recommend the Tiki Beach Resort day pass they offer through Royal Carribbean.
    View All 21 4X4 Jeep Adventure Reviews
  • Nellie Beach cabana
    I highly recommend this though it is a bit expensive. Suite guests get one included with their suite. Everyone else has to book them on board the ship. I think the rate is somewhere between $175 and $255 depending on which beach/cabana you want. We had one over the water at Nellie Beach. It comes with 4 big bottles of water and floaty mats, 4 deluxe beach loungers. The deal at Cocoa Cay is even better, but that's a different review. The cabanas also have stewards and they do everything they can to make it a great day. Our gentleman was named Jeanty and he really did everything he could to make our experience great.
    View All 13,277 Nellie Beach cabana Reviews
  • Port Canaveral (Orlando)
    Oasis of the Seas is moving to Port Canaveral in 2016 so they've built a new port facility to accomodate here. Embarkation couldn't have been smoother. We arrived around 9:30 and waited in the shade of the 1st floor of the parking garage. The doors opened at 10:00. We were in the large waiting area, all checked in with our Sea Passes by 10:30. At 11:00 they began boarding. We're Gold level Crown and Anchor and were on board by 11:30.
    View All 2,155 Port Canaveral (Orlando) Cruise Port Reviews