3. Jewel of the Seas
This was our first cruise on RC and only our second cruise overall. We cruised from San Diego to Vancouver, BC, though we disembarked in Victoria to visit family. When we entered the cruise embarkation area, we were whisked around the long line-up to a counter where our check-in occurred quickly and efficiently. I presume that was because we were booked in a junior suite, but, regardless, it was a nice perk. We checked out our room and had lunch in the Windjammer. One of our suitcases was delivered quickly and we waited hours for the other, which never came. After we left port, we went to Guest Services to see about the missing bag and were told to go to "Confiscated Luggage". We found this area and there was my bag. I travel with a small portable fan and apparently this is not allowed (Princess did not have a problem with it). So, though my fan was confiscated for the rest of the trip, I did have my luggage at long last. The communication process re: confiscated luggage could use improvement since ongoing concerns about missing luggage detract from one's ability to relax and enjoy their cruise. We had dinner that night in The Tides. The service was good, but my husband said his steak was lousy and tasted as if it had been "boiled". The portions were also quite small. I enjoyed my meal (though I can't remember what I had...). We went to the show that night and it was OK. The sets were very professional, but the theme seemed confused. As a result, we didn't go to any more shows. We thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment in the Centrum: various duets, trios, soloists. The flow of people on the ship was good. We enjoyed the casino and buffets. We particularly liked that our picture was not being taken every time we left the ship and there was no pressure to buy, buy, buy pictures. We had a $300 on-board credit that we didn't know about until 2 days before we got off the ship and checked our account on the TV. The price of the drink packages was exorbitant/ridiculous, so we didn't buy them (and we don't even drink alcohol). We wished there was at-your-table drink re-fill service in the Windjammer during meals. The shopping was fun. The art auction was a bit odd for us, but mildly entertaining. We enjoyed the trivia games. We were delayed leaving San Francisco by 9 hours due to engine trouble, so we arrived in Victoria 5 - 6 hours late. Our arrangements (lodging, car) in Victoria had to be re-arranged and RC was kind enough to place phone calls for me at no charge to make modifications. Many people were disappointed that their excursions in Victoria were cancelled. Overall, we enjoyed our cruise, but wished the weather had been warmer and sunnier.

Pacific Coastal

Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by NanTOsh

NanTOsh’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas price drops

Our cabin was lovely and seemed slightly larger than the Junior Suite we booked on Princess last fall. The hallways were quiet. The walk-in closet was very spacious with lots of hangers and storage. We thoroughly enjoyed the large balcony. I am unsure how typical the bed set-up was, but ours was a mattress on a metal frame. The mattress was not very comfortable. The bottom corners of the bed were rounded off which proved to be a bit of a problem for my 6'6" husband. His feet hung off the bed by 12 inches or more. In addition, our cabin was 100 yards from the nearest stairs/elevator. That's a LONG walk and cruisers with mobility issues should be aware there are no stairs or elevators in the back of the ship. The towels were soft and plentiful. There was oatmeal on our balcony that never got cleaned up.
  Jewel of the Seas Deck Plans