3. Splendour of the Seas
So to start with the transfers were all good and well organised as you would expect, food was good to very good and a lot of the staff very friendly. I am not keen on the over bearing style that some adopted but I recognise some people like this. However there was some buts-the first is that it was expensive, $15 for a cocktail $10 for a beer (approx £10 and £7 respectively), they took any wine you bought on the ship, including from arranged trips to vineyards and confiscated it until the end of the trip like you were school kids! On "my dine" you can go to one restaurant but to visit others you pay $30 per person per night other than the buffet. The second "but" was that the dress code was largely ignored so that on the formal night, we were all dressed up in long dresses and tuxes and queued with an American family in jean shorts who almost ridiculed us for taking it too seriously. We really enjoy the sense of occasion and to see everyone dressed up, as we have on all the P&O cruises we have been on, so this wide spread disinterest was for me a real disappointment. You could basically dine anywhere wearing anything and truthfully felt a bit of the odd one out dressed up :(. The trips were good but they tried to fit in too much shopping so that a trip to Olympia was an hour in the ruins and then half an hour shopping in souvenir shops, literally up the road, so to be honest it would have been more appropriate to let people choose what they wanted to do, as we saw only a small part of Olympia. This pattern was repeated on all the trips we went on. All in all it is unlikely we would choose Royal Caribbean again, I loved the reasonable priced P&O cruises where 2 years ago we were paying £4.50 for a cocktail and £3.0 for a beer, you had a fridge in your room and you could have a glass of wine while getting ready, without being told off! and enjoy dressing up and having real cruise experience.

Cruising for relaxed dress code and shoppers

Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by deb.curly