3. Viking Atla
We just completed a 7 night cruise on the Viking Atla one of the new long ships. This was our 3rd booked river cruise with Viking. We also booked both the pre and post cruise extension. We began with 2 nights in Budapest. Our hotel did have a Viking representative to give advise but they also offered excursions for Budapest before the cruise began. We researched both Budapest and Prague, the post cruise extension so we did not go with their optional excursions. They were helpful though in providing specific information that helped us do our own thing. After 2 & 1/2 wonderful days in Budapest we made our way to the cruise ship. The transfer to the boat was not very convenient as we had to check out 2 & 1/2 hours before they would pick us up. We had several places still to see so we made our way to the ship ourselves. Viking did take our luggage though. Our cabins weren't ready when we arrived but they had a very nice buffet lunch available on the lounge. The ship did a night cruise on the Danube in Budapest. The city is all lit up at night so this was real nice. We started with a city tour of Budapest the next morning. We met up with the boat a little outside of Budapest. We ran into some bad weather the next couple of days. Lots of rain and much cooler than expected. I realize that Viking can't control the weather. I just feel they weren't exactly honest with us. Up River between Passau and Regensburg is Deggensdorf. The water was much higher than normal and there was a bridge there the boat couldn't pass under. Instead of docking the the medieval city of Regensburg we were taken by bus. We lost most of our free time. Finally we had some dry days and we were told we would be back on schedule. We still didn't make it even as far as Regensburg and the next day there was an even longer bus ride to Nuremberg. Our boat we thought would meet up with us in Nuremberg but that didn't happen. We had another bus ride back to the boat. Our trip ended a bit short of Nuremberg. We were taken to Prague and our post cruise extension was absolutely wonderful. It did include a city tour or Prague which was very nice. I believe they had to have known that we would not be able to really get back on schedule. That's the real problem I have. Due to the number of locks we went through and the other River traffic we never caught up. They kept telling us we would but never did. Maybe they didn't want to have to deal with everybody complaining. These river cruises are very expensive and it's so nice to dock right in the towns you are visiting. You can get off during your free time and see more things in the town. I could have taken a land tour for a lot less money if I wanted to spend all that time on a bus. Again I realize that the weather can't be controlled. On the ship the service was excellent and the food was wonderful. Absolutely no complaints about either. The only other thing I'd like to speak about is the entertainment on these River boat cruises. There's not a lot of variety. They do have a piano player and the cruise director was a bit of a comedian. A couple of nights they did bring on some local performers that were quite good. It would be nice to do this more nights. Overall the river cruise was a bit of a disappointment but our pre trip time in Budapest and post cruise in Prague were wonderful. If you can I highly recommend doing those.

Less than Expected Due to the Weather

Viking Atla Cruise Review by loudini56

loudini56’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Atla price drops

• Budapest
    Budapest was beautiful and so full of a rich history and culture and excellent restaurants. Do a little research and you can easily see the sights yourself.
    View All 367 Budapest Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Budapest Cruise Port Review
  • Melk Abbey
    Unfortunately it was raining so we didn't get to see the gardens. The Abbey is very large and has much to see. The library is very extensive. We only saw one of the 12 rooms that contain over 100,000 books. The church was a bit smaller than I expected but was very nice.
    View All 169 Melk Abbey Reviews
  • Nuremberg
    Our city tour was quite extensive. We started in the in the old town market where we had some free time. We walked around a bit and decided to break away from the group lunch thing and find another place to eat. Afterwards our city tour continued. We saw the Nuremberg castle, then the zeplin fields and finally the document storage facility.
    View All 529 Nuremberg Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Nuremberg Cruise Port Review
  • St. Stephen's Cathedral
    The church was very pretty inside but we really didn't enjoy the organ music that was played. We were told that the person that plays wanted to do that since he was a child.
    View All 89 St. Stephen's Cathedral Reviews
  • Walking Tour
    The walking tour was very nice. It ended at the church and there was to be a performance by the organist. The music played was very loud and a bit angry sounding. It kind of made me think I was watching a Bella Lagosi film festival.
    View All 193 Walking Tour Reviews
  • Regensburg
    Our guide for the walking tour was a dapper older gentleman. He was very knowledgeable about the city. He also was very good at telling stories which really made the tour much more enjoyable. After the tour was over we took a quick look inside the cathedral dedicated to St. Peter. Next came lunch at the Ratskellar. They prepared a typical German meal of pork with gravy along with potatoes and carrots. Then served a local beer which I enjoyed. We also had apple strudel for dessert. Overall lunch was good.
    View All 522 Regensburg Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Regensburg Cruise Port Review
  • Schonbrunn Palace
    It was a very nice tour of the palace. The guide was very knowledgeable. The problem with organized tours is there's not a lot of free time when the tour is over. The palace had a very large and beautiful garden. There's never enough time to really see a lot of it.
    View All 154 Schonbrunn Palace Reviews
  • Walking Tour
    We enjoyed the tour of the palace but would have liked more free time to see the gardens. We also took an optional tour after dinner to hear a concert of classical music. This was truly a wonderful experience.
    View All 160 Walking Tour Reviews