Aurora Cruise Review

Aurora Cruise Review by Plantqueen

• Sail Date: May 2015
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: Outside Stateroom with Bath/Shower

Friends/family had continually mentioned about my sister and I going on a cruise, both of us are divorced and travel regularly on holiday so we took the plunge and booked a mini cruise to see Bruges in Belgium as well as Guernsey, as a taster cruise. We were texted/emailed re a change in itinerary a couple of days beforehand. It was quite a long time actually boarding Aurora. We decided against waiting for the queues in the buffet as not enough time before our muster meeting. Our muster point in the Cinema was changed from 16.00 to 16.30 (we would have had time for a late lunch in the end) after we had left the cabin with the lifejackets and waiting for 10 mins, so by the time we had had the rescheduled muster meeting at 16.30 and returned to the cabin, we noticed the ship moving, we had no time to get to a top deck with our bottle of Prosecco to wave goodbye to Southampton so made do with a glass of wine on one of lower covered-in decks - not what we had planned. The itinerary was reversed because of the poor weather so Guernsey was first due to the tender boats, one of which was directly underneath our cabin so we were woken at a very early hour by the noise of the tender mechanism being swung out to lower the tender boat. We spent a stormy night at sea and on arrival at Zebrugge (having put our watches forward an hour) were informed that we could not berth so the trip was OFF. We spent a day at sea going up and down the English Channel in a Force 8 gale, most decks were out of bounds (obviously) and when we saw the White Cliffs of Dover, we put our watches back not realising that the ship was staying on Belgium time so we were an hour late for dinner and missed the first show. (We were not the only ones onboard that did this). The toilets blocked. We asked our waiter to ask the wine waiter to order more wine for us and he never returned. There was a very long wait for cocktails in the bar. The bed linen did not smell very fresh. Now I know you cannot help the weather but perhaps we should have stayed with the itinerary and gone to Bruges first - the whole point of my booking this cruise as a cruise to Zebrugge to visit Bruges seemed to be a better option than flying/coach/train - how wrong was I? Plus points, nice cabin and balcony, good food, good entertainment. It was unfortunate that this happened on our first cruise as I was planning a Caribbean cruise for January 2016 but am not sure I want to take the risk regarding ports not accessible because of the weather - as bad weather follows me around the world!

Plantqueen's Full Rating Summary

Outside Stateroom with Bath/Shower

Nice sized cabin with balcony, good shower over bath, good toiletries, good storage space, bed linen smelled a bit stale.

Plantqueen