Costa Serena Cruise Review

Good but could do better

Costa Serena Cruise Review by Mimillion

• Sail Date: Aug 2014
  • Destination: the Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Samsara Outside with Balcony

We booked this cruise last minute as decided it was about time we tried one, Costa have a reputation for not being as traditional as a lot of the companies and as my bf is much happier in a pair of jeans than a tux we decided on Costa.

The organisation wasn't good on embarkation, we got shuffled from pillar to post and eventually got to our room about 90 minutes after boarding, we were sent to the buffet restaurant which was like a school canteen, kids running under your feet and people pushing to get to the food, we asked for a drink but they told us we had to put it on our account even though we had paid for a premium drinks package beforehand.

We booked the highest grade of cabin which was the Samsara Spa Suite, it was very nice, smaller than I expected it to be considering what we had paid but comfortable and well equipped, there was a bottle of fizz waiting for us and it had a nice balcony, the suite was serviced by a butler and he told us we just needed to call a number and he would appear, unfortunately I think he was covering all the suites by himself as you would ring and it would just ring out until you gave up. The light on the balcony didn't work even after reporting it.

The food in the Samsara restaurant was very nice, we ate there most nights, it was very quiet for the whole week and the staff were lovely.The drinks were good, European measures instead of English which is always good!

We didn't see any of the entertainment as it was all in Italian and although I can understand a little conversationally neither of us are fluent so it was pointless, we think we may have been the only English speakers on board which wasn't ideal, however it was the school holidays, maybe in the winter there would be more of a mix. The facilities on board were good but you couldn't get near the pools because of the kids, the spa was very nice, we had a couple of comp treatments but it was expensive otherwise. The wifi was ridiculously expensive

We enjoyed all the ports of call and had plenty of time in each, we didn't book any excursions but used the Costa transport a couple of times to get into the towns which was fine. Otherwise we just did our own thing.

Apart from the Samsara restaurant the service was poor, we were supposed to get a welcome meeting with a manager as we were staying in a suite but we missed it, they kindly rescheduled but didn't turn up after I waited 20 minutes, the butler I think was overworked so didn't have time to give a good service and we had a few problems that took far to long to be dealt with.

Overall I don't think I would cruise with Costa again as it was just too average.

Mimillion's Full Rating Summary

Samsara Outside with Balcony

For the highest category of suite I was disappointed with the size and the service, I think the butler was either very lazy or overworked as he didn't really seem to have much time to serve us. The balcony light didn't work for the whole cruise even after reporting it. Don't waste your money!

Genoa

We didn't get to see Genoa as we were taken from the airport straight onto the cruise ship.........................................................................

Rome (Civitavecchia)

I've been to Rome loads of times and always enjoy it, we could have maybe done with another hour.........................................................

Naples

Naples itself was a bit grotty but we didn't really have time to explore as we went straight to Pompei which was well worth a visit, fairly easy to get to and not expensive to visit.

Palma de Mallorca (Majorca)

Palma is a beautiful town with a fantastic cathedral we had a lovely tapas lunch in Palma before heading to Nikki Beach in Magaluf for a day on the beach, it was nice to have the evening somewhere too.

Barcelona

Again I have been to Barcelona a few times, this trip we visited the Camp Nou stadium which is a must for footie fans, I'm not keen on football but even I enjoyed it.

Marseille

Surprisingly lovely little port town where we had a fabulous lunch and did some gift shopping............................................................

Mimillion