3. River Venture
Three of us were flying from Charlotte, N.C. to Paris. I always check in with the airline 24 hours in advance of the flight. Our names were there but the word, in an attractive shade of red, next to our names was: Cancelled. I immediately called Vantage. The next day we were told we now had the reservations, with only hours to go before our flight left. We were met at the Paris airport and, after a long wait, a coach arrived to take us to the Vantage Venture, located not in Paris but in another city. Boarding was easy and we had a light lunch. The food on board throughout the trip was outstanding. Our cabin was very good with a large bathroom. At a briefing the next day we were told that a lock on the river was not working which meant not going to Paris by boat and the cancellation of quite a few activities including the Paris by Night trip, a nice restaurant and a Can-Can show. Obviously Vantage is not responsible for a broken river lock but it has been un-repaired for weeks and remained so for the next group of passengers. As for the "cruising", there wasn't much except at night when everyone was asleep and awoke to find the boat in another "quaint" town maybe 30 miles away. Vantgage did itself proud on our seeing where our "D" days troops landed. A flower ceremony was held overlooking Omaha Beach complete with our National Anthem and Taps. We could also see the German emplacements which fired on our troops. Then we boarded the coach again which took us directly to the beach itself. This is why I came on this trip. It is an experience and words can not add to it. The boat has an excellent housekeeping staff and everyone was very friendly on the trip. I was worried enough about our return flight home that I talked to the Vantage concierge about it. I was told not to worry about it, that everything was taken care of. Three days later I was still worried about it and checked it out on my Kindle Fire. Again, our names were on the flight and that beautiful color of red beside our names, CANCELED. I took the kindle to the tour director and, perhaps too bluntly, asked her what she was going to do about it! She took down the info and said she would take care of it. Two days later as we were going to another one of those cathedrals on the bus, she received a call that said we had been once more confirmed for seats on the plane. Vantage should clean house on their travel department in Boston. The three of us, along with about 20 other passengers, are members of The President's Club, and were invited to a roped off portion of the upstairs lounge for drinks. Gee, thanks, I needed that.

Mixed Review

River Venture Cruise Review by woebegone

Vantage should clean house on their travel department in Boston.

woebegone’s Full Rating Summary