3. Grand Celebration
My family of 3 went on the Grand Celebration cruise ship from West Palm Beach Florida to Freeport, Bahamas. To my surprise, it was great! Thank goodness! I was stressed after reading some really bad reviews. This was the 3rd cruise we have taken and it was comparable to the others we took with other cruise lines. We got it in a low price package deal. We had a 2 night cruise which was overnight to the Bahamas from West Palm Beach, stayed at Freeport for 2 nights, then overnight on the cruise ship returning to back to Florida. On the way to the Bahamas we had a cabin for the 3 of us on U (for Universe) which was upgraded and had a window view. Each of the cabin decks has a letter and corresponding galactic theme for a title. We stayed in E (for Earth) on the return cruise. The cabin on U184 was the best of the two. It was larger and nicer. While there they even did turn down service for us. The E151 cabin was smaller with a window view and had some minor décor flaws. When you sat on the toilet it rocked forward. No turn down service was given there. Food: The ship offered dining reservations for two restaurants which had dress codes that we weren't prepared for since we only took casual jean shorts and sandals/flip flops. The Admiralty Club restaurant also had a fee. So, we dined at the indoor Ocean View Buffet on deck 10 for all of our meals. Everything was good and there was a large selection, but there is room for improvement especially with the dessert. The pies and cheesecake I buy at the grocery store are better. They offer a good variety along with specialty cuts of meat at the carving board. We also ate lunch at the outdoor Plunge Grill which offered hot dogs, hamburgers, sandwiches, and salads. I liked that they had brauts and other sausages. Tea, coffee, lemonade, and punch were included at the indoor buffet. After 9 pm the buffet changed to after hours food like nachos, tacos, pizza, chicken wings, etc... Alcohol and other drinks are served for a charge of course. They sell drink tickets that are discounted compared to paying individually. While we lounged at the pool and other places including the buffets, ample amounts of staff offered us drink service which was appreciated. If you can hear the ship announcements (you have to really try to listen), they offer 2 for 1 drink specials at times. Awesome bar tenders that make great drinks at the Dancing Martian and Encore bars. The ship has 3 pools and whirlpools/Jacuzzis. The kids pool has 2 water slides, a cute plastic play house and a plastic rock climber next to it. My 5 year old enjoyed all of the pools as well as the other children onboard. He also really enjoyed the kids club. It has a large glass window looking out onto the deck and we were able to watch him while he was inside. The ladies working in there were very nice. We had to go in to sign every hour he was there and found him happy playing with the other children. They had a bouncey/fun house, did coloring activities, and watched movies. I wanted to take him out after 1 1/2 hours, but he would not let me. I didn't plan on leaving him there because I was scared, but after watching him from the glass window for a long time and seeing everything was good, my husband decided it was safe to explore a little further away. During our time on the ship, we saw a variety show in the theater that was entertaining. It wasn't what I would call family friendly, but kids were there and it wasn't that risque. We saw a live band in the Encore lounge that was okay. The casino was buzzing with lots of people. My husband won the corn toss game competition on the top deck and got $50 on board credit. They had a special event where we got a beer tasting from around the world and they offered smoked meats with sauces to go with it- very good. They also offered wine tasting which we didn't get. Overall we had a very good time while onboard. We didn't have any problems with service, accommodations, charges, or anything unpleasant. I was expecting bad, but nothing was bad. It was worth the money paid. It is not a 5 star fabulous ship, and if that is what you are expecting for the price you are mistaken. Check in was quick both days when entering the ship to and from Bahamas. The longest wait was 1 and 1/2 hours to go back into the USA through customs which the ship cannot control. They charged us service fees/gratuities, and fuel charges per person, even for our child, but I am not complaining because that was explained and outlined in our itinerary prior. We bought shore excursions that were expensive for what we experienced- that's another review. Tips: If you have never been to the Bahamas or on a cruise, go to the orientation. Read through your Welcome Aboard news letter that is provided. Listen for events that are happening if you can hear them. It's hard to hear, but they announce specials. Take pants and shoes suitable to dine other places than the buffet.

Grand Celebration Cruise to Freeport

Grand Celebration Cruise Review by RNLuvs2Travel

• Sail Date: May 2015
  • Destination: Bahamas

RNLuvs2Travel’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Get Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line Grand Celebration price drops

Cabin U184
This was our nice cabin during our stay. It wasn't too small and everything was newer looking. They did towel art with our wash towels and turn down service. The down side was that the bed was two small beds put together and was not that comfortable.