Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review
2,157 Reviews

People complain too much.

Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by kiki1964

• Sail Date: May 2015
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: AquaClass 2

My husband and I took our daughter and her boyfriend on an Alaskan adventure! We are 51 and they are 28/32. I was surprised that they loved it so much! This was our experience:

Embarkation in Seattle was a breeze. We were on the ship in less than 20 min. We upgraded to Aqua class so there was an express line.

The Ship: Was clean and pretty. Its the biggest ship they allow in Alaska so doing a 360 in Tracy Arm was impressive. The shops were typical cruise ship shops. On days at sea we slept, hung out in the Persian Gardens, Card room, Cafe Il Bacio and my daughter gave me a 80 minute massage on Mothers Day. Wonderful!

Blu- We all loved it! The food was excellent and the variety was really good. Our daughter is a vegetarian and each night they remembered to bring her the vegetarian menu. Most accommodating. We never ate in the main dining room or any other specialty restaurants so I can't comment on those. The Oceanview cafe was good. Not great, but it had a lot of selections to fit whatever you wanted. The employees in the pasta line need to be retrained because they were rude and basically ignored you. One employee picked up pasta stuck it in his mouth and the stuck his thumb in my husbands pasta. Aqua Spa cafe was really good and had some healthier options. The grill was good too for a burger or hot dog. Room service was good. They call right before they deliver your food.

Excursions- In Ketchikan, we took the bus ($2 for all day) to the Tongass National forest and just hiked around for a few hours. Cheap and beautiful!

Tracy Arm is a sight to behold and whatever you do, get your butt out of bed and go out on the deck to see this amazing place. We will go back.

In Juneau did the whale watching tour and saw humpbacks AND Orca's!! The Killer Whales were a sight to behold.

In Skagway, we just walked the town but it was a clear 70 degrees and we should have taken the white pass train. Lesson learned.

In Victoria, we went to Butchart Gardens. We just did the regular tour since we only had 6pm-midnight in Victoria. DO NOT PAY FOR A FANCIER TOUR AT BUTCHART!! I saw people carrying their Chinese lanterns which was a waste of money because it got dark AFTER we left. The people doing the tea room said they felt rushed to eat their sandwiches and drink their tea so the didn't miss the ship. If you get a tour bus driver named Roland go on another bus. Trust me. Your ears will bleed.

Cabins- Erik was our cabin steward and he kept everything clean!! It was nice in Aqua Class because you get bottled water, fresh fruit, tea, ice bucket, canapes everyday! Plus, no little kids running up and down the halls. We never heard our neighbors.

Fitness Center- The Zumba, Pilates, Yoga were an $11 charge. You need to sign up for the paid classes in the fitness center. I am a zumba person so that was fun. Igor, the instructor from Brazil, was good and you actually broke a sweat. Other classes were free and the gym was clean.

We had the Classic drink package but they kept trying to upgrade us to the Premium package. We are not big drinkers so we didn't do it. A glass of Riesling for me and a Corona for my hubby was all we needed.

Overall, we would sail the Solstice again. Planning on doing Australia/New Zealand next year. I am not sure why people look for things to complain about. You are on vacation...find the good and realize that you are blessed that you can go on vacation. Alaska is an amazing place and we can't wait to go back!!!!

kiki1964's Full Rating Summary

AquaClass 2
Cabin A2 1563

Erik, our cabin steward, was very attentive. Kept our room clean and tidy. We were on deck 11 which was the Aqua Class floor. Very nice and quiet!

kiki1964