3. Westerdam
Overall, the cruise was great. We couldn't have asked for better weather. Our experience onboard was super. Food and service were both excellent however lines on the lido (eato) deck were quite long at times so you had to find that window to minimize the wait time. The entertainment was fair with little geared toward the senior crowd except if you wanted to play bingo or attend sales pitches throughout the week that we avoided like the plague. we booked two excursions through HAL and both were busts. First we did the whale watching in Juneau and if you consider seeing a small portion of a humpback whale as whale watching then this would be for you. The windows on the whale watching boat were filthy and then with the spray on top of that it was impossible to take any pictures from below. I saw more whales on the ship in about a 45 minute period then I did on this excursion. I would suggest saving your money and bypass this expensive boat ride. Our second excursion was the all-you-can-eat-crab-fest in Ketchikan. The description in the HAL catalog left a little to ones imagination. The crab fest was excellent and the staff at the lodge went out of their way to make the experience an enjoyable one. The crab was plentiful and the drinks were complimentary (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic). We took a bus ride of about 30 minutes with part of that stuck in a construction zone. The float plane ride back to the ship was short and cramped. Very difficult to get any pictures. For the $238.00 I was expecting a little more bang for the buck. Should have waited until we got back to Seattle and had our crab dinner and a float plane ride around Seattle. I lived there for 12 years and several companies over great tours over Seattle and the San Juan Islands. Save you money.

Great Vacation

vanman02’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Westerdam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VA 5059
Our cabin was in excellent shape. I was disappointed that our balcony looked out onto one of the life boats. That was my problem for not checking out the deck layout before booking. We didn't spend that much time in the room so it wasn't a big issue. Both cabin boys knew our name after the first day and except for a leaky sink that I fixed, the room was quite acceptable. Our travel agent ordered us a bottle of wine that we never saw but that was a front desk issue. Each morning by the time we arrived back to the room from breakfast it was already cleaned and the bed was turned down after dinner in the evening.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Whale Watching
    A very expensive boat ride. Windows on the tour boat were dirty and with the spray it was impossible to take pictures through the windows. As for the whales we saw more whales from the ship between Sitka and Ketchikan and closer. Being the first cruise ship to dock at Juneau it was too early in the season to see any whales.
    View All 825 Whale Watching Reviews
  • Wilderness Tour & Crab Feast
    The description in the HAL catalog was a little misleading. We didn't see any wildlife nor was wildlife mentioned in the 30 minute bus ride or the short float plane ride back to the ship. The lodge and crab feast was excellent. As much crab as you could eat and all drinks were included. I wouldn't do this next time. Save your money and do your crab dinner and float plane ride when you get back to Seattle.
    View All 119 Wilderness Tour & Crab Feast Reviews