3. Star Princess
This cruise was both a pleasure and a learning experience. I've cruised for years, but always with my husband. He passed in December of 2012 after a long illness. We had been on the Star twice before, a 10-day Mexican cruise for an anniversary, and our last cruise around the horn from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (a fabulous trip incidentally). I was apprehensive but things turned out very well. The itinerary was slightly different, which was great since I had cruised Mexico many times. I loved both Loreto and La Paz, both of which were new to me, and I had a terrific trip to San Sebastian out of Puerto Vallarta, thanks to a gentleman and his wife who live in Oregon, and I met on Cruise Critic. The tour he arranged was for 7 and the three couples I toured with were wonderful! And I couldn't have asked for a better driver/guide. The price was exceptional as well at $41.00 per person. I had mostly single tablemates at my traditional dining table and one couple that took me under their wing, and I spent every port except Puerto Vallarta with them. I was so worried about feeling alone and I did have my moments, but the people I met and shared time with eliminated those feelings for the most part. I had a terrific room steward and found most crew and staff very pleasant and helpful, as has most always been the case on Princess ships. I was a little disappointed in the food. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as it used to be I felt. I was surprised to learn that only dinner was served in my dining room and there was no longer a wine steward. Both cost cutting moves I assume. I learned that traveling alone will never be as much fun as it was with my husband, but I can do it and enjoy myself. I'm looking at a 10-day cruise on the Golden Princess out of San Francisco (so handy for me since I live on the other side of the bay) in July.

My first cruise alone.

Star Princess Cruise Review by Giovanina

Giovanina’s Full Rating Summary
Get Star Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BE A708
Very comfortable. Bed just fine. Always love sitting on the balcony with coffee or a glass of wine. Bathroom small but efficient. Shower okay. Adequate room for both hanging and folded clothes. Like having a room safe. Like having a small fridge. Had breakfast in my room most mornings. TV fine, furnishings fine, no complaints really.
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins