This was our 8th Oceania cruise, and by far one of our favorites. I was the organizer of our Cruise Critic Meet & Greet, all 170 of us. First the year of planning and chatting on Cruise Critic was by far the most fun I have experienced. A fabulous group of fellow travelers. We were literally met at the port by the Concierge, Randall Abrahams, who informed me that everything was set for the M&G the following night - he just needed my OK for the invites to go out. Invites were delivered before I even reached my cabin! The Marina is one of our favorite ships - - beautiful, luxurious, with attentive staff and fabulous dining options. We were in a PH, and the cabin was great - - roomy, walk-in closet, and to my surprise, the mini-fridge was stocked with my favorite Diet Dr. Pepper - - not sure who I need to thank for that yet. I requested it on a prior cruise and someone must have made a note in our file. We were met immediately by our butler, Vinod, and our room attendant, Sergia. These two fabulous individuals took care to take care of every request over the next 17 days, from dining reservations to course-by-course dining in our room - - everything was taken care of promptly, efficiently and with huge smiles. The 2nd night was the M&G - - Oceania had arranged for half of Horizons lounge to be taken over by our group during Happy Hour. To my surprise and delight, EVERY member of the staff showed up, except the Captain who was sailing the ship - - from the General Manager, Thierry Tholon, the executive chef, the cruise director, Julie, the head concierge, Randall (my new best friend!), head of the food and beverage department, head of housekeeping, Petia Hristova (who we have sailed with many times before), assistant concierge - - the list goes on and on. The party was a huge hit and many thanks to Oceania for helping organize this for me. The ports of Moorea, Bora Bora, Fakarava, Raiatea, Rangiora in the Tahitian Islands are absolutely beautiful - - warm water, varying shades of blue, great swimming, lots of sun. I always book private excursions, because often times the cruise lines don't offer what we want to do - - in this case, a lot of jet-skiing. Also, as much as I love Oceania, their excursions are way overpriced, in my opinion. The one area where Oceania needs to really improve is in their tendering when the ship is anchored, especially in this case, Easter Island where only one tender is allowed through the channel at a time. Despite discussing getting my 45 people off the ship together early with destination services, and being assured they would help, it was 4 hours before we got off the ship. All Oceania tours were sent off first, even though we were in the lounge 2 hours before them to get tickets. I mean, we paid for our PH like everyone else did, and it should be a first-come, first serve basis or something. So, after sitting in the lounge being pushed and shoved for 4 hours, we finally got off the ship. Easter island was fabulous, a must-see. We didn't get off the ship in Pitcairn which some people were very upset about. Seriously, can you imagine an island with 47 inhabitants trying to deal with the influx of 1200 passengers? Also, due to bad weather when their dock was destroyed, there was no way to get passengers to the island. They haven't been able to rebuild yet. However, the local inhabitants did come on board to sell their wares. Food on Oceania is one of the best at sea - - all the specialty restaurants were fabulous, but I can honestly say we never had a bad meal in the Grand Dining Room either! We diet for months before sailing with Oceania because we know we are going to put on a minimum of 5-10 pounds, which we did. Service on Oceania is friendly, prompt and efficient in all areas of the ship. I had two of the best massages of my life in the spa with Antonio - marvelous! The one area where Oceania lacks is the entertainment department. We didn't go to any of the shows since we are early risers and the 9:30 shows are just too late for us. However, we did watch some of them later on the television, and they were embarrassing in how bad they were. Sorry, Oceania, but the dancerscouldn't dance and the singers couldn't sing. We chose to do a private tour after the cruise to Machu Picchu with Kuoda Travel rather than pay the higher cost of the Oceania tour. They were a fabulous company and highly recommended. Maybe because I organized the M&G or maybe they just liked me and my husband, but we were wined and dined by the senior officers on this cruise - - lunch with the Captain, lunch with the GM, dinner with my friend Petia and my new best bud Randall - and we were sent many gifts to our stateroom after each meal. Oceania treated us like royalty on this cruise. All in all, another fabulous cruise on Oceania, our favorite cruise line. We are in the process of reading our brochures looking for our next escape! Thank you, Oceania!

17 days of heaven

CruiseMacks’s Full Rating Summary
Get Oceania Marina price drops

Penthouse Suite
Cabin PH1 11037
Cabin was spacious with walk-in closet, good size balcony, and the best beds at sea. I have insomnia, but averaged 8 hours a night while on board.
Deck 11 Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins