3. Carnival Liberty
The was my 3rd time on a Carnival Cruise and my husband and daughter's 1st time. From the minute we got on the ship to when we had to sadly say goodbye, we had a great time. We stayed the night before in San Juan and bumped into someone in the hotel the morning of our departure that said Carnival was going to start letting before on at 11am. Of course, we were there at 10:59am! My husband and I had a suite (7317) and my daughter and her friend had an interior (7321). We had priority boarding, they had FTTF. We were able to get in the FTTF line and check in. It took, maybe, 10 minutes. We sat for another 30 minutes, when they started boarding. We were in the first group of people to board. Word to the wise, since I haven't done this in a while, when they called "priority and FTTF boarding", walk directly to security. There are people standing there that I thought were ahead of us, only to hear the announcement "we will now begin general boarding" and I realized we could have just continued to security. No problem, we got ahead of the general boarding and were on the ship within 5 minutes, already with a drink in our hands. We were on the Empress Deck (#7). I heard and read people saying that the 9th deck (Lido) is the best because it was where everything is; I disagree. We were right in the middle of everything. The Lido Deck was 2 above and the Promenade Deck was 2 below. We got the exercise we needed and our cabin steward showed us other elevators (with stairs located right next to them) that took us to other parts of the ship, that we definitely wouldn't have found on our own. Once you figure out where the elevators/stairs take you, you'll be all set with the layout of the ship. The dining on the ship was good. There was always plenty of food at the buffets and if you're not ready to eat at a specific time, you can always find something to your liking whenever you feel like eating. The only "con" I have about the food is whenever I was looking to munch on something; i.e. chips, cookies, junk food, that was hard to find. If you didn't hit the buffet before it closed to grab the junk food, all that was left was walking down to the Java Café where they had all kinds of cookies, etc. but you had to pay for it, or getting a swirl ice cream - I like those but not all the time. We had dinner each night in the dining room at 6pm. It worked perfect for us because we'd just be getting back on the ship, and we'd be hungry. The ship would sail at 5pm and we'd be sitting down to eat at 6pm and still had the rest of the night to do whatever we wanted. I pick this time just so we can have family time. George and is crew are WONDERFUL. If he reads this he'll know who is writing this. We had a vegetarian with us and George did everything possible to make her happy with his choices of vegetarian foods. She is very picky! Finally after 3 nights, I told him to just bring her pasta and that would make her happy. He did that but still tried to bring her other things, just so she could experience other foods. They knew out names and exactly what we drank, so when we arrived, as soon as we sat down our drinks were in front of us. The food was marvelous. Supposedly there's a dress code in this dining room, but I didn't see it. The "no jeans, shorts, flip flops" rule didn't work. We would dress every night, not dressy but cruise casual and we felt over dressed by what some of the others were wearing. The only time they "dressed up" were during the Captains Dinner and Elegant night (there are two if you have a 7 night cruise). I never got to the dining room for breakfast so I can't comment on it. The entertainment was ok in the Venetian Lounge. We did enjoy the adult comedy club. And of course the casino is the place to be - including if you're winning; which I did. I walked away with $200 - starting with $20 - not bad! I would take advantage of the movie on the Lido Deck every night - if the movie was something I wanted to see. They usually have 2 movies (one around 7pm and the late one around 10pm). I went to the 10pm movie every night. They have the lounge chairs set with blankets to sign out and they offer popcorn (which I didn't notice until everyone was walking around with a box). You can find it behind the Red Frog Rum Bar. The bars are also open if you want a drink. I usually sat in a lounge chair right on the main deck but if you want quiet and a bit darker, move up a few levels. I got into a zone while watching so I really never noticed anyone walking by or making noise. But being on the Lido deck, it is bright from the bars and walkways. My husband would be off doing something and come back and find me all cuddled up in my blanket with popcorn - like a little kid :). I finally realized since I was going up that late, I put on my sweats and a PATS sweatshirt with socks. That way I wasn't freezing. Don't get me wrong, it's not cold, but when you're sitting there for 2.5 hours with the wind blowing (because we were cruising to our next port), it can get chilly. I'd even have my sun hat on to keep my ears from getting cold. Yes, it was a sight! The servers on the Lido deck and other areas work their butts off. Once they bring you a drink, they'll find you throughout the cruise to continue to serve you. They'll also remember your name. We aren't big drinkers so I felt bad whenever they'd come to us but they knew that and still would find us. We made it a point to find the two special servers during this cruise and tipped them more than anyone. They deserved it. I would see some of them on the Lido Deck working all afternoon and then later see them in the casino working until God knows what time, only to see them again the next morning back on the Lido Deck - with smiles on their faces at all times. The shore excursions where fun. I would definitely stick with Carnival when booking your excursions. I didn't realize it, but if you're on one of their sponsored excursions and are late getting back to the ship, the ship will wait for you. Whereas if you're on an independent excursion, they won't. If one of your ports is Antigua, I don't suggest taking the "Beach Escape Tour". The money spent was not worth it and the beach, although beautiful, the water is filled with seaweed and the walking vendors are relentless. I realize it's their life but you know what, when I say no, don't come back 5 minutes later and bug me again. There had to be at least 25 different walking vendors. Finally after 3 hours on the beach, I couldn't wait to leave. Disembarkation was very simple. They left all the information in your room the night before. You can either take your bags or leave them out the night before. It really doesn't matter because you have to grab them when you leave anyway, so if you have something that you don't want to carry on your flight, once you grab your bags, open up your suitcase and put it in. They send everyone out in zones so just listen for your zone and leave when they call you. The luggage area is the crazy place. Even though it's organized, it's still nuts trying to find your bags. The deck bathrooms were always clean. No matter which one I used, I never felt like uncomfortable using them. There are also 5-6 stalls in all public bathrooms. The deck dining is cleaned up as fast as they can do it. They may want to think about adding a place where people can take their plates, etc. to drop off. Right now you just leave your table and someone cleans it up. If they're busy, including when it's a day at sea, the tables can take some time to clean off. During this entire cruise, I never felt like there were too many people on board, even during our day at sea. The ship is big enough that you can actually find a place to hang out without tons of people around. Take advantage of the "secret decks" on the ship as well - Deck 5, Deck 6, Deck 7, Deck 9, Deck 10. Those are great areas to hang out with not a lot of people around We're already planning our next cruise. I hope this helps and please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best family vacation!

Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Purple Rooster

Purple Rooster’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 16+
Get Carnival Liberty price drops

Ocean Suite
Cabin OS 7317
I love this cabin. It's just the right size for 2 people. Here's what's in the room: TV with DVD player, safe, reading lights on both sides of bed, refrigerator filled with soda, liquor and beer, desk with chair, large couch (that changes into a twin bed if needed), large bathroom with Jacuzzi tub and shower (with shampoo and body wash dispensers), clothes line in tub (pulls from wall), double sinks/large mirror and 3 knobs for wet towels and clothes, dressing area with makeup table with four drawers and large mirror as well as 2 closet areas and another closet in the main room. I would suggest brining hangers. They have some in there but not enough if you have a lot to hang.
The bed was comfortable and pushed together as a king but it can be two twins if you ask. The room steward was wonderful. Whatever we needed, I left him a note and that afternoon it would be done. Being that it was a suite, our room was made and ready no later than 10 everyday. That was the best!!! He would come back around 6:30pm or so and do pull down service as well as leave the next day FUNTIMES and new towel animal on the bed.
This cabin is in the middle of the ship and was perfectly centered between everything. There were elevators out the left of our door that took us to the Lido Deck and food. The elevators to our right took us to the Promenade Deck and Lobby.
Noise was okay. We had some people that were pretty loud the 2nd night of the cruise until someone asked them to move their party to one of the decks, but after that, we never heard anything.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Beach Escape Tour
    Not happy with this tour at all. The beach was beautiful but they put you on a beach with hundreds of other people and you have to stay within their area, because they share the beach with Sandals. Though the water is beautiful, it's full of seaweed. There are 25-30 vendors that walk the beach. I don't mind it once in a while but I would be asked every 5 minutes if I wanted to buy something. Even when I was reading with my headphones on, they would stand in front of me or kick my chair to get my attention. After 4 hours of this crap, I couldn't wait to get back to the ship.
    If you can find something else to do instead of this, do it.
    View All 13,216 Beach Escape Tour Reviews
  • Turtle Swim
    We did the Five Star Catamaran and Turtle experience - not thrilled with it. It was a gloomy day and they put over 50 people on one catamaran. I was kind of bummed at first because we couldn't be up front, outside, but then it started pouring and I didn't mind where we were sitting. If you do decide to do this excursion and it looks like it might rain, make sure you don't bring too many things because whatever is left on the floor, gets wet. So I'd bring a waterproof bag or just bring your bathing suit and towel. They supply the snorkeling gear.
    View All 88 Turtle Swim Reviews
  • Puerto Rico's favorites with air transport
    We did this tour at the end of our cruise. We had a late flight out so figured we'd do one more tour. This is not the tour to do if your tired. We didn't realize how tired we were until we got on the tour bus and headed to the Old San Juan Forts. Although beautiful, we were hot and tired and after 6 ports on the cruise, walking around was not what we wanted to do. After the forts we went to the rain forest, to a waterfall and then a "Carnival" sponsored stop to get a drink or something to eat. This is a tour for someone starting a cruise, not ending.
    I'm giving it a very good because I honestly can't be mean and say it was terrible because we were tired.
    View All 13,216 Puerto Rico's favorites with air transport Reviews
  • Ziplining
    Had a ball! 2nd zip line during the trip and it was a blast. Make sure you bring or put on bug spray, because the entire course is in the rain forest. Also, if you don't like walking a lot, this might not be the course for you. There's a lot of walking, up hill. The lines are great and the instructors are a riot. There's a Tarzan line where you act like Tarzan and swing from one deck to another and then there's what I call the "death drop" where they open a door in the floor of the deck and they attach you to the line and drop you down to the floor of the rainforest. That may freak people out.
    View All 30 Ziplining Reviews
  • Jet Ski Tour and Parasailing
    We did the 90 minutes jet ski tour around St. Maarten and our kids also did the 600' Parasailing tour. It was a blast and we got to see more of the island than we would have if we drove. We also got to enjoy our last day of our cruise in the sun! Do this if you can, it's fun!
    View All 13,216 Jet Ski Tour and Parasailing Reviews
  • Ziplining
    Best experience we ever had. We would do this again in a snap and suggest if you have the time and money, do it. The views are beautiful, the lines are a blast and the instructors (Alan and Michelle) WONDERFUL!!!!
    View All 48 Ziplining Reviews