3. Norwegian Getaway
Hubby and I have cruised with Princess (Alaska, California Coastal) and Royal Caribbean (W. Caribbean) before but not Norwegian. We were excited to see what NCL had to offer. Pre-Cruise: Our flight from Denver to Miami was scheduled to arrive at 4:45 am, but we arrived 25 minutes EARLY! There was no one at the gate to unlock the jetway and let us off the plane. Never had that problem before. Hubby found a hotel that would let us check in at 5:00 am and check out at 1:00 pm. So we headed over to the Double Tree by Hilton to get a little rest since we didn't sleep at all on the plane. Embarkation/Disembarkation: We arrived around 12:15; apparently, everyone else arrived at the same time. It took us over 45 minutes to make it to the check-in counter. The line seemed to go on and on, even when they brought out more employees. Royal Caribbean was way more efficient when we boarded Allure of the Seas last year. Disembarkation took about 10 minutes, including the time it took to actually get on the elevator. We chose early walk-off and did just that! Cabin: When we boarded, our room was ready. We had a Spa Balcony (14116). We originally had a balcony room but upgraded when prices dropped a bit. As expected, the room was on the small side with a surprising amount of storage space - cabinets, drawers in the couch base, shelves in the bathroom and closet. The bathroom was one of the roomiest that I've ever encountered on a cruise ship. The shower was large enough to turn around and bend over. However, the balcony was SMALL, tiny, minuscule. My husband, who is 6'3", could barely sit in the chair while it was facing forward. His knees almost hit the glass. Service: Everyone we encountered on the ship was gracious and helpful with the exception of one Guest Services employee who couldn't/didn't fix our problem. Clark was our stateroom steward and he did a fantastic job of keeping our room clean and stocked. We couldn't have asked for a better steward. Service was generally friendly and prompt with a few exceptions during peak times. Dining: We chose to eat at three specialty restaurants: Cagney's, Teppanyaki, and Illusionarium. Our meals at Cagney's and Teppanyaki were delicious and the service was impeccable. The Illusionarium was a fun time. The food was tasty, but it wasn't the best of our cruise. We loved Shanghai's Noodle Bar so much that we ate there twice. We also ate several times at Flamingo Bar and Grill and O'Sheehans. We had good service and food in the complimentary dining rooms. Entertainment: This is one place where we felt like NCL was lacking. The musical Legally Blond seemed very amateurish. I'm not sure where the fault lies, but it wasn't the best show we've seen at sea. Somehow, we missed Burn the Floor. I had reservations, but when we checked the daily, I couldn't find that show listed. We did watch 2 movies, The LEGO Movie at Spice H2O and Big Hero 6 in the Getaway Theater. Spa: Hands down, my husband's favorite part of the ship was the Thermal Suite. He used it every day of our trip. I think that he used each room and pool at least once each day. He also enjoyed the showers in the spa and locker room. He only used the shower in our stateroom one time. I enjoyed the Thermal Suite, too. Who knew a heated tile lounger could be so comfy? All in all, we enjoyed our cruise on the Getaway. The ship is lovely, and I loved the modern feel of the furnishings, light fixtures, and art. There were plenty of activities each day, more than any one person could conceivably do! We would definitely get away on the Getaway again.

Our First Cruise Like a Norwegian

southerngirloutwest’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Spa Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B9 14116
When we boarded, our room was ready. We had a Spa Balcony (14116). We originally had a balcony room, but we upgraded when prices dropped a bit. As expected, the room was small with a surprising amount of storage space - cabinets, drawers in the couch base, shelves in the bathroom and closet. The bathroom was one of the roomiest that I've ever encountered on a cruise ship. The shower was large enough to turn around and bend over. The balcony was SMALL, tiny, minuscule. My husband, who is 6'3", could barely sit in the chair while it was facing forward. His knees almost hit the glass.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins