Marina Cruise Review

A Beautiful Ship, a great crew, but get ready to spend more than you plan on!!

Marina Cruise Review by Redheadbill

• Sail Date: Apr 2015
  • Destination: South America

I purposely waited 5 days to write this review because I felt I could write a better review after I rested up from the long trip back. Unfortunately, that has not happened, so here goes!

First, the ship is beautiful, the crew was great (I am talking out the stewards, butlers, and staff that had direct contact with the passengers). We made wonderful friends which was the highlight of our cruise!

If you think you have your paid for your cruise by the time you read this, then think again!! There is no free internet. We had notice when we go to our stateroom that we could get 200 minutes for $169 for the trip. The other alternative was $22 a day which we did. Two days we could get NO connection at all, & the rest VERY slow and very spotty. Multiply that by 18 please!

Thank heavens I had read Cruise Critic before we went and signed up for NO tours and even cancelled our transportation to & from the boat. The transportation when we got to Tahiti through the ship was $129 pp--we got a taxi for $30 total and beat the buses to the pier! I called Oceania before we went on the cruise to see what arrangements they had for us when we got off the ship in Lima. They said none, but they would try to come up with something on the boat. Most flights from Lima to US leave late at night. We researched & found a private driver that we booked to pick us up at 10 that morning and take us around Lima & get us to the airport at 8:00 PM, ($400 more).

Very little was planned for sea days. My husband signed up for a cooking class & paid $65. They got to eat the food afterwards, so I guess that was the cost of the food they cooked?

We signed up $100 each for a "Special Wine Tasting Experience". It lasted and hour and a half with a discussion about 5 different wines (about 3 oz each) & the ship wines stewards assisted two men who talked. There were 34 passengers there so they made $$$ off of that! After the lecture was over no wine was offered.

We signed up for this cruise on a previous cruise. We were told at that time that we would receive $100 shipboard cruise for that cruise & $100 for the cruise we signed up for (this one). When the $100 didn't show up on our bill I questioned it and was told that was a misunderstanding. No shipboard credit from them! I have the sheet that the cruise Travel Ambassador (Iwona Goodman) had written cost of the cruise on. We got charged $50 more each! I noticed this when I got our booking papers & actually wasn't going to push on that until we got cheated on our shipboard credit. When we talked to the exact same Travel Ambassador and showed her her writing on our booklet all she would say was that we were considered "Cargo" and she couldn't honor that. We have this in writing from the "Travel Ambassador" & legally that is a contract. If O wants to contact us about that I have the documentation ready.

Gratuities were not advertised as paid. When I notice on my tour booklet that their other cruises around Tahiti had no gratuities I called them about a month before the cruise & questioned that. I was told that "SINCE the Cruise was full that they weren't going to comp them! We were penthouse level, so we paid extra in tips for the butler.

I feel like i have beaten a horse to death, but think you get the "gist". The last example that i heard about at the airport in Lima was three couples we were talking to that we did not even know said that when they asked Reception to print their boarding pass ahead of time for their flight home they charges the 25 CENTS to do so.

I don't care how little or how much money a person has, NO ONE likes to feel gouged. The general consensus on the ship was that we were gouged. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Look at the other reviews to see the mishandling of tour embarkation. At times took us up to 3 hours to get off the boat; had to get all the paid shore excursion folks of then they would get to the balance of the folks.

Redheadbill's Full Rating Summary