3. Norwegian Star
This was our first cruise and we travelled with our son (15) and our daughter (14). We chose this cruise because the dates, embarkation port and NCL Freestyle concept all appealed to us. We were initially a little concerned that the STAR was an older ship but this turned out to not be an issue as it was recently out of an overhaul period. In our opinion the ship was in very good shape. I have read quite a few reviews on Cruise Critic and I believe that the travellers attitude has a lot to do with how they will perceive the experience. I find it ridiculous that people get annoyed and complain about the little things. I won't call anyone out on this but keep this in mind when reading people's reviews. BOOKING: I booked using NCL's website and found it very easy to navigate. I was able to secure two inside cabins at a price which I was comfortable with. I am from Canada and something Canadian travellers always need to consider is the exchange rate between the Cdn dollar and the US dollar. This can have an impact of the "true" cost of the cruise. Be aware of your exchange rate your credit card company offers and what rate NCL may charge if billed in Cdn dollars. CABINS: We had two inside cabins. My wife and daughter booked in one and my son and I booked in the other. As your issued room key has your name and details printed on it and is used for on ship charges we needed to make arrangements to get extra key cards as we wanted the kids in one room and the adults in the other. Once on the ship it was very easy to get extra room keys from the customer service desk. There were no issues with having a 15 and 14 year old in one room together despite NCLs policy of an adult in each room. Our cabins were great, the were comfortable clean and well layed out. Yes they were small but we expected that. Close the door at any time of the day and turn out the lights, its dark...no way of knowing what time it is. A small night light and a travel clock would be a good suggestion. DINING: We found the food to be very good and certainly better than I was expecting. I can appreciate the challenge of feeding that many people with quality options quickly. NCL did this very well. The freestyle dinning concept is great and we explored many of the different restaurants on the ship all of which provided good options and fast service for us. BEVERAGES: Probably my only real complaint about the cruise. It always seemed to take a little longer than it should have to get a drink from the bar. Not sure if it was lack of bartending staff or if we just always went to the bar at the wrong time. SERVICE: All the NCL staff were friendly and very helpful. POOLS: They were always busy except days in port were the ship always emptied out of passengers. The adults only hot tub at the front of the ship was lukewarm at best. The hot tubs in the main pool area were a good temperature but these were always busy and during the day filled with young kids as well. SHORE EX: We did not book any of the ship's excursions but opted to just get off the ship and do our own thing. We had a good time and finding this to do and places to eat was fun and never a problem. TEEN CLUB: We signed our kids up for the teen club and they each spent a small amount of time there but I do not believe they found it all that interesting. NCL does try to put on events at the teen club to entertain, but it didn't really work for our kids. Not a problem though the kids still had a great time on the cruise. SUMMARY: We consider our first cruise a very good success and will definitely cruise again with NCL....probably without the kids next time!!

Our First Cruise; Positive Experience

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by gpblair

SERVICE: All the NCL staff were friendly and very helpful.

gpblair’s Full Rating Summary