• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

sunlover1060
2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Apr 2015
Cabin: Balcony

My husband and I try to cruise every other year and usually with a group of other family members. This was our 4th NCL cruise and the first one that was just my husband and I. This was also the first time we cruised out of Houston and had no idea what to expect. We flew into Houston the day before the cruise and purchased the hotel package with transfers through NCL. We flew into George Bush and stayed at the Marriott Intercontinental at the airport.

On Saturday, there were about 25 other people waiting for the bus to the port also, we met a few and visited with them for a bit. Suddenly we realized that it was 12:20 and still no bus. One of the couples we were talking to asked at the front desk where the bus was and they said that it is there by 11:45-12:00 every week, well it was 12:20 so he was officially late. The problem here is that there was no NCL representative at the hotel like there has been in the past when we have bought the hotel/transfer package in other port cities. NCL needs to remedy this issue, we had no one to ask what the issue was and the hotel staff had no idea. Carnival had 2 Reps there earlier for the people they were transferring. The bus guy finally showed up an hour late for our 1 hour ride to the port. He was sooo rude, NCL needs to look seriously at the company they use for this service in Houston. The wife from the one couple said “where have you been you are over an hour late,” and he rudely replied “I don’t work for you and you have until 4:00.” Um no we didn't, the ship leaves at 4:00. Special note here he was also the driver on our transfer back to the airport from the port and he just as crabby and rude to everyone a week later. We finally got to the port, checked in and were on the ship at 2:30, so the check in process was not nearly as bad as the transfer from the hotel to port.

We were in a aft balcony on Deck 10, it was back by the elevators so that worked well for my bad knee. The ship was clean and well kept during our week on board.

Balcony

Cabin BB

Loved our balcony stateroom. It was a port side aft balcony just off the elevators so it was easy on my bad knee. We had plenty of room for the two of us and storage for our luggage. Our cabin steward was fantastic and took great care of us during the week. This was the best week of sleep I have had in months.

Port Reviews

Houston

This was the first time we cruised out of Houston and had no idea what to expect. We flew into Houston the day before the cruise and purchased the hotel package with transfers through NCL. We flew into George Bush and stayed at the Marriott Intercontinental at the airport. The weather in Houston was rainy on Friday when we landed so we just hung out in our room and around the Hotel. That night we had dinner in CK’s Restaurant at the top of the tower of the hotel. It used to rotate in a circle, but they disabled it a couple of years ago we were told. But the view was spectacular. We sat by a window, ate dinner and watched planes land and take off. It was a nice hotel that is currently undergoing renovations.

Find a Norwegian Jewel Cruise from $468