3. Quantum of the Seas
Like many others on the ship, we had booked our sailing nearly 2 years in advance, and were definitely in it for the ship rather than the destinations. I hate to say that the cruise was a disappointment, because we certainly had a great time. However, there was a lot of hype behind the marketing and setup of the Quantum that probably took away from the experience, particularly given our long standing anticipation of the ship. RCCL advertised this as the "smart ship," which was true, but only to a certain extent. I'm sure everyone reading this review is familiar with the dining setup, and how advance reservations are highly recommended. Unfortunately, not everyone is on Cruise Critic, or does major research into their cruise like the present audience. I'd say at least 60% of our fellow passengers had no clue how to utilize the technology necessary to set things up, leaving the concierge and guest services overwhelmed. Basic things that should have been working like the Royal-IQ phone app were dreadfully useless. Our dinner reservations on the app (which is supposed to act like your personal calendar and cruise compass) were never accurate, luggage tracking was inaccurate, and the app is generally quite limited. The "lightening fast" wifi was certainly better than other ships, but I'd hardly use the word "lightening" and our room didn't get much reception unless you pressed your phone against the door. Speaking of cabins, we were in Grand suite 9242, which was the smallest GS we've had yet. That's fine, but the layout and decor made the room even smaller. The coffee machine is placed on the counter, but there is no electrical outlet, so you have to bring the machine over to the desk (not a big deal, but poor planning like a lot of other things). The bathroom phone is positioned in such a way that you WILL knock it over every time you walk into the bathroom. Garbage cans utilize precious bathroom space rather than the old under-the-sink version. The ventilation in our bathroom never worked despite several calls to maintenance. After a shower, the cabin was a steamroom for half an hour. The decor of the ship, as many have said, is between traditional Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity. Overall very nice, but very patchwork, with lots of things crowding your eyes at once. Public spaces are VERY cramped. Not only did they try to put every possible money-making venue in there, but the actual layout of decks 4 and 5 is massively stupid. When you exit the theater to deck 4, everyone must either go to the elevator or walk across through a, maybe, 10 foot wide corridor passing the shops. If you exit the theater on deck 5, the audience must walk past/through the Schooner Bar, and can then split to the Bionic Bar which has a passage that is about 3-4 feet wide, knocking into patrons there, or swinging to the other side, crowding in front of Wonderland. Essentially, 3 main bottlenecks are built in to the crowd flow. The Schooner bar issue, in my opinion, was a major one. While the artists were playing, people would be getting off the elevator 5-10 feet behind the performers, interrupting, cutting in front, and generally turning the Schooner bar into a very suboptimal venue. Add this to the theater exodus... Bionic bar was fun. I actually liked the Cosmos, and it saves anytging you create so you can order again. Options are limited based on bottle shape and size. When one robot breaks down, wait times go up. The pool deck was ridiculously crowded. I'm not a pool person. I don't really care, but if you're not from Miami like me, you might. Regarding built up hype- the iFly and bumper cars and roller skating are pretty much ads to get you on the ship. You get 1 minute of ifly time, and after that it's $50 for 3 minutes. Bumper cars and roller skating run on extremely limited hours, therefore long lines, therefore I never got to do them. Again, not something I'm heartbroken over, but some may be sailing the ship for those experiences, so just be advised. You cannot sail the Quantum without eating at Wonderland. I am a foodie, and I thought it was an amazing experience. Both times. Food, service, and ambience were all on point. American Icon was also very yummy, as was Michael's Genuine (a Miami staple). I had absolutely no bad food experiences on board. I would rate the worst food on board as still "pretty good" but most food was very good. Could not find a Riesling by the glass, but, of course there was no alcohol shortage. Those of you who love a good and creative cocktail must go to Two70 bar and visit Sheron. Tell him what taste you are going for, and trust him. A true mixologist. Shows- I didn't see Mamma Mia. I did see Starwater which was funky and cool. Conceptual, and interesting. Not sure it was right for the crowd on our ship. For Sonic Odyssey, I thought the choreography was great, but I don't know dancing very well. However, I do know music. My personal opinion was that the lead soloist was phenomenal. The rest not so much. The music, instruments and arrangements were basically a self-serving musical descent into egotistical stupidity by a "maestro" who likes to be on stage and show that he can play 7 notes on each instrument. That being said, people around me seemed to enjoy it. :) I thought the "Earth Harp" sounded like a dying moose. Service on the ship was average. We were the second to last voyage before Quantum heads to Asia. Crew that have been on since the beginning were exhausted and wanted off. A lot of Asians were new on the ship and still learning. At 2pm on embarkation day, our room had not been cleaned, with previous guest's garbage a over the place. Our room steward had apparently just come on board. Those non-Asians who are stuck on the ship had trouble hiding their displeasure. What else? Bayonne kind of sucks as a cruise terminal, but there's nothing to be done about that.

Not all bad, not all great

Quantum of the Seas Cruise Review by MiamiCruzr

Get Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas price drops

Grand Suite - 1 Bedroom
Cabin GS 9242
See above.
Fairy small, compounded by poor decor and planning.
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins