3. Grandeur of the Seas
This is my third cruise (second with Royal) but first one since 1999 with our family planning to start doing them more often. We had a fantastic time and found every crew member beyond friendly in helping us or even just walking by. We had priority boarding so getting on the ship was a breeze and not the ship's fault but the weather was cool and very foggy. We boarded around 10:30 in the morning and checked out the pool deck and adventure ocean as rooms were not available until 1:00. Getting to the port of Baltimore is very easy and right off of 95. When getting to our room we were quite happy with the size of it for 4 of us (wife and 2 daughters). The balcony was a very good size but from the teak of the rails and our furniture you could see some of the age of the ship. Our room attendant John was fantastic and made sure our needs were met the whole way. Quite simply he made us feel like his number one priority while juggling all of his rooms. Our daughter had been seasick the first night and John was right there to make sure all was OK. He even mentioned how he wondered how she was doing after a very rough sea night later in the week. The room was always kept very clean and was done quickly when we let John know we were leaving the room. I am not sure if it was my mistake or theirs but we were assigned 8:00 dinner rather than 5:30. Before leaving port, I went down to the dining room and by day 2 was moved to the 5:30 seating. It was our waiter's first cruise in that position and he did a wonderful job. You could see at times that he needed to think something through but everyone is new at a position at some point in their lives. Our assistant waiter was also fantastic and went above and beyond making my two daughters feel like royalty. Dinner wisely went at a quick pace for the kids so they could go off and get to their friends. Each dish was delicious during the week and dinner for our table typically took 90 to 105 minutes. I enjoy relaxing dinners with my wife but probably would have preferred that being a bit shorter. We ate at Chops one evening and the steak was phenomenal. I have eaten at some nice steakhouses in New York and the steak in Chops may have been the best filet mignon I have ever had. It was seasoned to perfection so if you are a steak fan do yourself a favor and give Chops a try! Ocean Adventure was a lovely place for my kids. Minus being in the pool during the afternoon, the kids would often rather be there than hanging out with their parents. The crew seemed to do a great job keeping the kids entertained. My oldest (11 and a half) had the option to go to the teen center but chose to stay with her age group. She obviously made the right choice for her as she typically would call our room asking to stay later each night. This was both kids first cruise and they already want to go on their next one. The Centrum on deck 4 was a great place for activities and it almost always had something going on (typically music). It is impossible to walk around the ship and not breeze by the Centrum area.There is plenty of seating around the area but it can be quite difficult to get the prime seats near the action. One thing to note is the evening themed dance parties which typically ran for about 45 minutes. They were big hits but I felt as if everyone would have preferred they were longer. The dance would move on to the Viking Crown after 11 but then younger cruises could not enjoy it. We got off of the ship in CocoCay (snorkeled) and Key West (did our own thing). Both times getting off or on wasn't difficult. If you plan on snorkeling in CocoCay do yourself a favor and bring your own stuff as it would be way more cost effective. We were the only boat in CocoCay for the day so it wasn't busy. The only difficult area was at lunch time with a massive line to get yourself a plate. Hint, after waiting to get your plate don't stay in that long line, there is also food available in the middle! As a Crown and Anchor member we disembarked from the South Pacific Lounge. From getting our number called, to getting off the ship, getting luggage, and to our car took only 17 minutes. After getting in the car there is easy access to 95 so leaving from Baltimore is nice and easy. Overall my family had a fantastic time. You can't control the ocean wanting to throw 20 - 30 foot waves at you but other than that it was a great sailing. I felt very comfortable with my kids walking the ship knowing they knew their way around. I am not sure that would be the case on some of the bigger boats. The Grandeur may be an older ship but I would definitely cruise her again.

Enthusiastic Crew, Great Cruise

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by sjam613

• Sail Date: April 2015
  • Destination: Bahamas

sjam613’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 7 to 9
Ages 10 to 12
Get Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas price drops

8072 was a fine room. Very good size for 4 of us with a large balcony to sit outside and enjoy. From being under the pool deck I would typically hear some chairs being moved around at about 4 in the morning so I would recommend deck 7 if your looking for a Junior Suite and are a lighter sleeper.

I know there have been shower complaints with the bathroom floor getting wet. What we did for a solution was place some washcloths on the very back of the tub where there was a little well to stop the water from trickling on to the floor. It worked like a charm.

When we were in rough seas being on deck 8 and in the aft of the ship sure made us aware the ship was rocking. If you are prone to seasickness you may want to stick to the middle of the ship and a bit lower deck.

Overall we were quite happy with the room. Our room was always kept very clean by our room attendant John and the balcony was a joy to have. If I ever get on the Grandeur again, I likely will look for a central room on deck 7 but this is in no way a bad room to book.
  Grandeur of the Seas Deck Plans