Tilbury London Checkin was quick and efficient. Wonderful surprise on check in to be advised I had been upgraded to a suite. The suite was huge, King size bed, large bathroom and more wardrobe and cupboard space than I could ever want. The suite had a 3 piece lounge setting and was large enough to entertain a small nation! All for little me! Travelling alone I welcomed the solo traveller functions which quickly enabled acquaintances to be made. The entertainment staff went out of their way to provide a wide range of activities including art classes, crafts, card games, yoga, choir etc all good for a cruise with lots of sea days. The naturist guest lecturer, Michael Scott was particularly informative and his talks well attended. Much information on the sea and bird life as well as the flora and fauna on the shore tours. Dining was an exceptionally high standard. the dining room provided superb cuisine and service. Smaller portions enabled all 5 courses to be enjoyed. Iced water was always topped up and special requests met without issue. A minor dissatisfaction arose early in the cruise in that that we solo diners were expected to find somewhere to sit as the dining room which was all open seating for dinner. This meant scanning the room for a table who were not too far advanced into their meal. I noted my difficulty with this to the Maitre D , Marijan who thereafter took it upon himself to escort me to a suitable table. After a few days special arrangements were made such that a group table was available for those solo travellers who wished to sit there. The high (afternoon) teas served in the show room with music were delightful. I rarely ate in the buffet, preferring the elegance of the dining room for breakfast, lunch and dinner but noted the buffet offered a good range of fresh foods. The breakfast smoothies after gym were a great find. The gym was small and occasionally required a short wait for a machine to become available. Delightful that all fitness classes, stretch, yoga etc were free. The shows were entertaining, if perhaps a little less professional than the larger ships. The spelling and grammatical errors on the daily bulletin offered much amusement. Too much enjoyment was being had to worry about the use of their/there/they're or the apostrophe'd plurals! The overall service was personal and the crew soon anticipated our individual requirements. A very special thanks to my cabin attendant, Lubica who was faultless. We sailed with fewer than half the capacity of pax. This made us a small group who got to know each other and friendships were made. I can only echo John and Judy's comments that people of all nations, together on the high seas for up to 6 weeks can indeed reflect peace, harmony and tolerance. I was not expecting this high a standard of service and excellence on the Astor given her very reasonable price. I could not fault this cruise, received exceptional value for money paid. I enjoyed the ports, service and overall experience so much on the Astor that I have booked again for March 2016 and encouraged 3 friends to join me.

So Good I've Booked Again!

Astor Cruise Review by Kayeemen