3. Radiance of the Seas
Until this cruise, I would have rated Royal Caribbean as my favorite line. We took back to back cruises from Sydney, circumnavigating Australia and visiting Bali and New Zealand. We were on the ship a total of 33 days. Embarkation was easy and efficient. We had traveled on this same ship in 2005 and it was elegant. Now it is sadly dated. Carpets and furnishings are shabby to the point of looking unclean. Plumbing problems persisted in many private and public areas throughout both cruises. Cabin mattresses were thin and uncomfortable. When we asked for an egg crate, we were told there were no more available. Room steward was wonderful. Main dining room food was appalling. Definitely the poorest selection and quality of any ship I have ever cruised. The dining room staff were fabulous and tried their best to help us find selections we were happy with. We were told that if we criticized the food on the post cruise survey by RC, the wait staff evaluations were dinged as it is their job to see we are pleased. How unethical! The wait staff neither buy nor prepare the menus or food yet they are held accountable. Bad corporate practice. Menus for the second cruise were a repeat of the first cruise which was a big disappointment. Excursion choices were EXCELLANT and we had many wonderful experiences. For many of them,however, we had too short a time. We had a choice of sightseeing or having lunch but there was not time for both. Consequently, on most excursion days, we ate breakfast and not again until dinner. When one of our excursions was cancelled, the staff from the excursion desk worked hard to see we got our second choice. There are no laundry facilities onboard and ship laundry is prohibitively expensive.$1.95 for a pair of socks!! Really?? Even the "bag of laundry" special is $30 and washes only underwear, nightclothes, shorts and shirts. And the "bag" is tiny. We were on the ship 33 days and traveled half way around the world. We needed clean clothes! Our room steward provided extra hangers and we hand washed our clothing. We started calling our room the laundry room. I know that ships attempt to entice you to spend more but the constant push to try to persuade us to utilize the specialty dining and/or the spa became uncomfortable. We called it running the gauntlet when we went to the Windjammer Buffet. The absolute worst was the entertainment. With a couple of exceptions, the acts were more than terrible. Just bad. Embarrassingly bad. Walk out of the theater in the middle bad. And again, they were mostly repeated on the second cruise. I love live entertainment and I have always loved the entertainment on a ship but these selections were very poor. While I would consider another cruise with RC, I would try to find the itinerary I want on any other cruise line first.

Very disappointed