3. Oasis of the Seas
Summary: I have been on 6 cruises, all on Royal Caribbean. This was our second time on Oasis of the Seas. Our first cruise was just ok, as well as this second one. We only did it a second time because other family members wanted to cruise on it and it was cheaper than Allure of the Seas. I have been loyal to RC, but I will not cruise on Oasis or Allure again for a while. Overall, the cruise was still a nice get away and we enjoyed our balcony. It's always nice to have a time when you don't have to worry about cooking, cleaning, and working, so it was a nice vacation. The Oasis on spring break this year did not live up to RC's Gold Standard experience. There was a record 8,000 passengers plus crew on this sailing and for the first time, it felt over crowded. On smaller ships, RC has been really good at providing exceptional service and attentiveness, but I think there are just too many people on board and the ship is too big for RC to pay close attention to details or those little things that make their guests feel special. Embarkation: Embarkation was event free. We drove our car to the port and arrived around 1:00pm. We dropped our bags off and found a close park right across from the terminal. We waited in line to get our SeaPass cards for about 6 min. It took our entire group of 6 about 10 min to check in as everyone had completed the check-in online. Once we had our SeaPass cards, we registered our 11 year old traveling with us and boarded the ship. I think we were on the ship by 1:45pm. Dining: We chose traditional dining at 6:00pm, which was excellent. On our previous cruise on Oasis we had MyTime dining and hated it. We enjoy traditional because we like to have the same dining staff every night. It allows you to get to know your waitstaff and they get to know you. Also, with early seating, we never had to wait to sit down. Our table was always ready for us. The food in the main dining room for dinner was good, but we didn't know what we were missing until we went to Chops Grille one evening. Chops Grille was excellent from the beginning until the end. The food was absolutely delicious! Even our 11 year old tried the scallops, which she didn't think she would like, but she ate every bite. An evening at a Specialty Restaurant was included in our package and it was well worth it. If I could afford it, I would eat at a specialty restaurant every night. Windjammer is too crowded. Skip it. We went to the dining room for lunch and the Park Cafe for breakfast and lunch. We also had breakfast in the Solarium Cafe and on the last morning before getting off we had breakfast at the Wipeout Cafe. Not bad for regular breakfast of eggs, hash browns, bacon, and toast or waffles. I think they were also making omelettes to order. Entertainment: CATS was horrible. I was looking forward to seeing this show as it has won numerous awards. I thought it was going to be a musical with speaking parts mixed with singing like Chicago or Hairspray, but it was more like an Opera (I think as I've never been to an Opera), because all they did was sing. I had know idea what was happening in the show. Our entire party fell asleep during the first half and we left at intermission and did not return. We skipped Come Fly with Me because we had seen it on the last cruise. The ice show was enjoyable. It seemed to have some different features than it did on the last cruise. MO5IAC was EXCELLENT! This was the best show of the cruise. These guys played all of the instruments on their songs using their mouths. No physical instruments and they were awesome. I couldn't believe they were making such realistic sounds with just their mouths. The water and diving show was entertaining. We had seen it before. I think we watched only 1 parade on the promenade. There didn't seem to be very much entertainment on the promenade this cruise. We didn't see the cruise director very much at all. Last cruise we saw Ricky Mathews everywhere and he was entertaining wherever he was. We missed him this cruise. The Quest game was kind of boring this year and we skipped the Love and Marriage show. It looked boring on the tv too. Excursions: In Labadee, we rode the rollercoaster which was fun. I was glad that I could control the speed of my coaster car. I actually wanted to go faster than I thought I would. We should have paid to go more than once. After the coaster, we had lunch, got hounded to buy stuff in the market, and then got back on the ship. We did everything we wanted to do during the brief time that the rain stopped. In Jamaica, we took an excursion to climb the Dunn's River Falls. We had a flat tire on the way to the falls and we stood along the highway for about 30 minutes while the driver, my husband and another passenger, along with other drivers who stopped to assist, changed the tire. While we were waiting we realized other tires didn't have much tread either, so we were nervous about this shuttle bus. We finally reached the falls and it was so crowded. I think their were 4 ships in port that day, plus remember, it was spring break. They had all of the ship tours plus all of the people who just showed up on their own in the same lines waiting for tour guides to take them up the mountain. Our tour guide had to kind of push us up to the front of the line and we our tour ended up getting separated. We waiting for about 30 min before we began climbing. The climb was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. It was slippery in some places and all of the teenagers in our group, helped me the 46 year old lady up the falls. They were awesome. We met some very nice people on this climb and makes you remember that people are basically good in this world. After the climb, we stopped for Jerk Chicken and it was delicious. I recommend this tour, but even though we booked through RC, the shuttle bus was not in good condition. Cozumel: The best stop on our cruise. We booked an excursion to Playa Mia and had a blast. Our 11 year old was all over the place, as was I, trying to keep up with her. We rode on pedal boats, played in the pool, I went down the water slide, and I even walked through the kiddie pool to get sprayed by all of the toys. All non motor sports were included in our excursion. They had an open bar, so there was plenty to drink. My husband didn't have a shortage of beer and we had plenty of mixed drinks made to order. I did make sure the ice was filtered. No problems. No one got sick. Lunch was also included and it was good. Everyone found something that they liked. Our bus driver Jose was very friendly. Shopping at the end was fun too. Vendors were not too pushy and they were willing to make a deal. We didn't visit Margaritaville, but those who did seemed as if they were having a good time. Adventure Ocean - Voyagers - 9 - 11 Our young traveler made some nice friends and participated in the talent show. When she got tired of hanging around the adults she was eager to go to her place. I even tried to watch her participate in the activities, but I received the hand wave to go away. Elevators - Very slow. Guest Services - Extremely long wait times. Poolside Service - Non-existent. Finding a chair on the pool deck - Painful Automatic Tips - Hated it. I would rather give more to those who go above and beyond. I held back at the end because I felt that I had already tipped everyone. Drink Prices - Outrageous. Just be prepared to pay too much. $12 per mixed drink and $11 for a glass of Champagne and Cranberry Juice. Plus add 15% gratuity to each drink. Conclusion: If you want to feel pampered and appreciated by the crew, then book a smaller ship. At least, I hope RC is still providing great customer service on the smaller ships. Our next cruise will be on a smaller RC ship or a different cruise line. We will give RC one more time to keep our loyalty.

Too Crowded to WOW

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by luki1968

Summary:

Embarkation:

Dining:

Entertainment:

The water and diving show was entertaining. We had seen it before.

Excursions:

Cozumel:

Adventure Ocean - Voyagers - 9 - 11

Elevators - Very slow.

Guest Services - Extremely long wait times.

Poolside Service - Non-existent.

Finding a chair on the pool deck - Painful

luki1968’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Get Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas price drops

Our balcony cabin was a little small. We have been spoiled because on the last cruise we booked a Junior Suite. The extra room in the Junior Suite is worth the price. I don't remember the balcony room being so small on the Liberty of the Seas, but it seemed smaller on Oasis. We even had the large balcony category. I unpacked and used the drawers provided under the vanity and in the closet. We put a couple of our suitcases under the bed, but we still found ourselves bumping into each other and having a hard time getting into the closet because it is right next to the bed. Nothing smaller than a JS from now on for us.
  Oasis of the Seas Deck Plans