3. Grand Celebration
We embarked from West Palm Beach. Part I : Boarding My son and I left Baltimore at 8:00 AM after a nightmare airport scene we were in the air and arrived at 11ish. We got a taxi from the airport to the port terminal and stood in a rather short line, that started moving pretty much on time at noon. We were told that we had to check our suitcase, and I asked if I could just take it up the escalator with us but they were adamant that we check them. So we stood in a long line that wrapped around itself and was really poorly designed, it was almost like a figure 8 loop so in the middle there was a traffic jam of people waiting to cross in front of each other. Additionally, the crossover was right in front of the elevator so people coming and going on that were always coming through the line. After getting through this mess we got on the escalator and went upstairs to the main check-in area at the terminal. I had went online to print the check-in documents we would need and had them filled out and ready to go, but when we got to the desk I was informed that the documents were for the wrong ship. When I followed the instructions on my receipt, the website I went to was not functional so I called the 800# for the Cruise line and they directed me to a 'backup' website, which is where I obtained our documents...it turns out that the backup documents were for the old Celebration ship from the lines predecessor. It wasn't a huge problem as the line was short and filling out the correct paperwork only took a few minutes....I turned that in and was directed to a quick moving line to get our boarding passes. In-and-out of that line and then we were sent over to the 'maze' of photographers, excursion deals, liqour and soda packages, dinner reservations, spa reservations, wine deals, etc...we purchased the soda packages and made dinner reservations and then made our way onboard. Maybe it's because it's my first cruise but I didn't realize that we couldn't go to our rooms directly (they weren't ready until 2 PM) It was a reasonable wait time given the fact that they just finished letting past cruisers off, I just wasn't sure what to do. We were told that lunch was being served on the Luna Deck, but when we came onboard there was no direction on how to get there. It would have been nice to have been told "Your rooms aren't ready yet but feel free to enjoy the rest of the ship" and maybe been given a small map or something...so we waited for some people at the customer service desk and then someone directed us how to get to the Luna Deck. Once we got up there we figured it all out but the initial "what do we do" ate up a lot of time. We changed into our swimsuits and then had a quick lunch (see below for food reviews) and then we hung out in the pool areas until the room was ready. Part II : The Room We had room U161 on the Universe Deck, we got the Groupon deal so it was $239 for the two of us, plus taxes and gratuity. I've already posted a review video of it in another thread, so I'll be brief: As I said in the video, I am impressed with the room. It was an outside room, much bigger than I expected. Granted I'm usually camping so I may have low expectations but it was very comfortable, the shower and bathroom were large (and I'm a very large person) and it was fairly quiet. We did hear some people who were partying a little too hard both nights, but they were not extremely loud and on the second night I did open the door and give a little "SHUT THE HELL UP" and that ended the noise. We were supposed to get two single beds but instead got a double bed and a fold-up bunk. My son did discover a piece of bubble gum in one of the grooves on the ceiling, above his bunk, but I pointed out to him that most people aren't going to look up there, and that a kid probably did that. Also, there was a small bare spot in the carpet but I really had to look for things to complain about when it came to the room. We did feel the boat when we came into port and when we were hit some rough spots in the ocean, but it wasn't too bad and no where near the horror stories I've heard. Part III : First Night After we got to our rooms we rested a bit and then went down for the muster drill and the "what to do on the island" presentation. We then went to book our excursion (see below) and I had been trying all day to sign up for the internet but I was having problems, so I went to the customer service desk where they couldn't figure it out either, so I ended up going without the internet for the duration of the trip until we returned to Florida. Not a big deal. While we were at customer service we ran into an older lady who was looking for her friend, it seems that her friend was in the sun too long and wasn't feeling well, and simply....disappeared. The customer service people wouldn't page the friend and instead they put out a photo to staff to keep an eye out for her. Later that night we ran into her again and they still had not yet found the lost passenger, it was pushing 11 PM at that point...very scary! We returned to our rooms and changed, and then went to the theater area for the variety show, it had a mixture of comedy, magic, and dance routines - it was entertaining and my son was glad that I talked him into going. After that we went to Stellar Prime for our 8:30 PM dinner, however, I forgot to bring the card that they had given me when we boarded (along with most of the other diners that evening) and it was a horrible mess waiting in the line with a bunch of angry people. After a lot of waiting we got in, and were seated and were promptly told by the people at that table that we couldn't sit there because they had other people coming. We stood around in the middle of the dining room for about 5 minutes before we were relocated to another table. The waiters were very polite and friendly, and the waitress who was from the bar area was overworked, it appeared that she was the only one working the entire restaurant. Needless to say, getting drinks took nearly the entire 1 1/2 hours we were there. Our waiter at least kept us topped off on icewater. As we got up to leave, we passed the first table where we were told that we couldn't sit, and surprise, no other diners had joined the family there. I thought to myself "what a jerk" and smiled and kept walking... When we got back to our room, my son decided he wanted dessert and I needed some ice for my water so I could take some medication. I called the front desk and asked them for a room service menu, they told me I should just call room service for a selection. I called down to room service and was told "We're not serving food, you can go to the buffet on the Luna Deck and get whatever you need." I found this odd and don't fully understand what the purpose of room service. It would have been nice to have some ice machines in the common areas, I was a little disappointed. So we headed back up to the buffet and thats when we discovered the joy of cruise fooding, and had our second dinner. We returned to our rooms and passed out in bed. Part IV : Day 2 We had our wakeup call at 6:30 AM and were up and at the Buffet for breakfast right away. While we were getting breakfast my son ran into the lady from the night before. It seems that her friend had wandered into an empty room that had the door open, and passed out into a bed. She woke up late at night and came out of the room, disoriented, and someone found her and got her to medical treatment. She didn't recall what room she was in and apparently left her purse in the room, but at least she was safe and sound! We had to be in the lounge area to meet up for our excursion. We chose the Jeep Tour (see below for review) and were there early. It seemed like it took a long time to get the group together and then we went downstairs to the 3rd deck and got off the ship. We went to the bus area and got on busses, and it was clear that we were running late. This threw the whole day off timing wise and we were constantly rushing through the excursion and to get back to the ship. Once we returned to the ship we changed and we hit the hot tubs and pool area, and hung out there the rest of the night. We did wander up to the Sun Deck and discovered the huge 10 person hot tub and spent about 10 minutes in it. Then we went and changed again for our 8:30 PM dinner reservation at The Admiralty Club. Talk about a different experience! We were immediately seated, a violinist came over to us and played a few Beatles songs (my son plays the Upright & Electric Bass and is enrolled in a gifted and talented "Fame" type school for his musical skills, so he enjoyed this immensely) the waiter spent time talking to us about the food and even brought out some dishes for my son to sample. During dinner another guest interrupted us and it was the "jerk" from the night before in Stellar Prime. He said "I just wanted to let you know that last night we were SUPPOSED to have other people show up, but they didn't show, I didn't want you to think I was a jerk or anything...." and then he introduced us to the guests that did not join them the night before. That was a pleasant surprise! We retired to our room and just on a whim, I called room service again, and got the same response, no actual room service available. We put our bags outside the room and they were in the terminal when we left the following day. We awoke the third morning as we were coming into port in Florida, and we had a quick breakfast at the buffet and as I was reading the bill I found that I was charged twice for internet that I never was actually able to use. I took one look at the customer service line and figured that $12 was a small price to pay for not raising my blood pressure, and left without addressing it. Disembarking was a total nightmare - but that's more on the people running Customs than the ship - we waited to get off, and then waited in a line for approx 3 hours to get through customs. We were using birth certificates, so a protip would be to get passports, because if you had a passport you were put right through. Also, it wasn't clear where our bags would be when we go to the terminal, it was only after some snooping while we were waiting in the line that we figured out where they were. Part V : Food Day 1 - Buffet Lunch - there was a nice array of foods, everything was fresh and hot. We had the Beef Borguignon and salads. We discovered the carving station with barbequed pork loin and roast beef, but did not partake in that. Food quality was just a step above what we would get at the local buffet restaurant, so it was better than average. My son had the coconut fried chicken but he said it was too dry. Day 1 - Grill near the pool area - we both got hot dogs and fries, they were tasty but the fries were kind of "limp" Day 1 - Stellar Prime, 8:30 PM Dinner - My son had the Shrimp & Whitefish Cevice, he ate about half of it, but said it tasted good. I ordered the Spinach Turnover and it was delicious! He had Tuscan Minestrone which he said was good again, but didn't eat much of it. I ordered the Chipotle BBQ Smoked Onion Soup, and again, incredible! We both had the Watercress and Endive salad, and he didn't care for the Endive, but it was pretty decent, again fresh and beautifully presented. For the main course he had the Pork Tender Chasseur, which he really enjoyed but he said that the goat cheese cake was too rich for him. I ordered the Chicken Breast Toscanna. It was a litle too moist for me but it was not terrible. I finished with the Washington Apple Crisp and it was just OK. Nothing spectacular but it was a solid dessert item. My son declined dessert until later as described above. Day 1 - Late night buffet - around 11:OO PM - we originally went down for ice cream but the machine was turned off so we ended up getting onion rings, chicken tenders, and some really great pizza. All bad for us but so delicious! My so got cookies and I almost talked him into trying Baklava. Day 2 - Breakfast buffet - around 7:00 AM - an assortment of eggs, pancakes, sausages, bacon, cereals, oatmeal, cream of wheat, various pastries, bagels, cream cheese, fresh fruit and yogurt. I discovered later that there was an omelet station and a waffle station. We went light and had fruit and yogurt, and my son had eggs, I had a little bacon. The eggs were kind of dry looking and he said that cheese would have made them better. The bacon was good and crispy and I enjoyed. Day 2 - Admiralty Club - 8:30 PM Dinner - My son was having a hard time deciding what he wanted, the waiter brought out Bruschetta and some Antipasti - and then brought the Frito Mixto for my son to taste - he ended up liking that and I ordered the shrimp cocktail - it was very good, I'm sure that the shrimp were frozen but you couldn't tell. I ordered Caprese Salad and it was awesome! Several large slices of tomato, different colors, and all very flavorful, fresh basil, INCREDIBLY FRESH MOZZARELLA that was oozing when I cut into it! My son ordered the Tri-Color Salad and again, the Endive turned him off on the whole thing. It looked very good though. For dinner, I ordered the Grilled Angus NY Strip, and I always get my steaks well done so I was expecting it to be dry, and I was quite pleased to find it very moist and full of flavor! It came with creamed spinach which was very good and a loaded baked potato which was "OK". My son went big and ordered the Osso Bucco, he thorougly enjoyed the meat and the polenta was too much for him to eat so he barely put a dent in the meal. I ate some of it and it was very rich and indulgent! Day 3 - Breakfast buffet - around 9:00 AM - exact same assortment as Day 2, my son had waffles and sausage, with sour cherry topping and whipped cream, and I had turkey bacon, fruit, yogurt and oatmeal. The turkey bacon was even better than the regular bacon from the day before, and the waffle was delicious (I had a bit of it) - the sausage was swimming in a giant bowl of grease and I was turned off by that. Part VI : Jeep Tour, Grand Bahama Island When we booked this, I had to sign a waiver because they looked at me and could tell that I have a bad back. I agreed to the waiver and I'm happy to say that there were no problems. We did off-road but it wasn't terrible and to be honest the roads in Baltimore are 10x worse than anything we drove over on this tour. As I stated above, we were delayed getting off the ship so we were "off" all day long. On the bus we were passing around another waiver form to be filled out and I was the last one to get it, just as we were pulling up. I hurriedly filled it out and turned it in, and we got off the bus. The rest of the group was being briefed and were in Jeeps and when the guide said "Who doesn't have a jeep?" I called out. After some confusion he discovered that I was standing with the wrong group and moved me over to the other group who was just finishing up the safety lecture. We followed our guide, Tony, to the jeeps and he put us in one by ourselves, which was a really nice surprise, as everyone else was sharing 4 people to one vehicle. We drove around the island and out onto a jetty, where we were able to get some beautiful photos, then out to Bens Cave, and Gold Rock Beach, where they filmed parts of Pirates of The Caribbean 2 & 3 (which is officially THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE I've ever been!), Taino beach, Garden of the Grove (more on this later), driving through a pine forest, and then we were dropped off at the Port Lucaya marketplace. We were thrown off on time and we ended up getting to the marketplace with only about half an hour until the last bus left. We rushed to buy some souvenirs and I really wanted my son to try conch fritters but there just wasn't enough time. Before I get to the only complaint I have about this tour, let me make it perfectly clear: THIS IS A MUST-DO TOUR!! I've been to Grand Bahama Island before, on my honeymoon years and years ago. I went to some of these spots, but I had more fun doing this tour than I've ever thought possible. We got to play with starfish, had a close encounter with a sting ray, played on the most gorgeous beach I've ever seen in my life, got to see lots of the island, and Tony was an awesome tour guide! My one and only complaint: This tour is advertised as "including lunch" - When we got to the first stop on the tour, Taino beach, Tony went around with a menu from The Garden of the Grove, taking orders so they could be called in ahead. It was a small menu and there were prices, but I figured that since it was so small, these were the "limited options" that we could choose from. Three hours later, we pulled into the Garden of the Grove, sat down, and we were told we had two hours to explore, and have lunch. We came in, sat down, and waited 1 1/2 hours for them to bring out our food that was pre-ordered. The food was good, but in NO way was it worth waiting that long. By the time we finished eating, we had barely any time to walk around the park. And it's such a shame because I've been there before, it's a BEAUTIFUL park. We walked a little, got a few photos, and then as we rushed to get back to the jeeps to leave, they approached me and told me that I had to pay for the food! I was surprised because it was supposed to be "included" and after the terrible service we encountered, they should have given us the food - so I had to pay nearly $50 for a hot dog, a quesadilla, french fries, two iced teas and a bottle of water! They included an 18% tip on my credit card bill and I drew a line through it and only paid them for the food. I was truly angry about this! I know this was a long review, thanks for reading, I hope it helps you with your future plans!

Grand Celebration Cruise 3/31/15 - 4/2/15 [LONG]

Grand Celebration Cruise Review by starslayer74

• Sail Date: March 2015
  • Destination: Bahamas
We embarked from West Palm Beach.

Part I : Boarding

Part II : The Room

I've already posted a review video of it in another thread, so I'll be brief:

Part III : First Night

We returned to our rooms and passed out in bed.

Part IV : Day 2