3. Quantum of the Seas
We are loyal Norwegian Cruise Line customers and this was our first cruise with Royal Caribbean. I can honestly say we were all pleasantly surprised that Royal Caribbean met and in some cases exceeded our expectations. The ship was amazing, the staff was wonderful and the amount of choices for dining, activities and different pool/lounge areas was wonderful. There were only several nuances that we missed that NCL does better than RCI. First, being able to eat lunch in a main dining room when we boarded. That was a big disappointment because it's always a treat to have a nice "fancy" lunch when we board the ship. Second was the lack of shampoo/shower gel in the shower - having to deal with all those little bottles was annoying and not very "green" or efficient. Minor annoyance, major eco-friendly fail for RCI. Finally, not having a soft serve ice cream in the Windjammer was very disappointing. Having to go outside to get ice cream and endure a long line every day annoyed my 10 yo to no end. Also, we were very disappointed that we never visibly saw or heard much from the Cruise Director - was he invisible? Also, we were very, very disappointed that the Captain and ships Officers didn't even bother to show up at the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet on Monday, April 6. Hugo the Activities Director was a gracious host as was the woman there from the Conferences & Meetings desk from Estonia. Just something that NCL Captain and Team seemed to think was important enough to show up for and then each of them invited us to dinner one night in one of the main dining rooms. A thoughtful touch and we appreciated getting to know the officers this way. The only other glaring problem we endured prior to boarding and while on the ship were the dinner reservations. I had a tremendously hard time trying to get dinner reservations in the complimentary dining rooms. This seemed to be a major complaint on the Cruise Critic blog and from passengers on the ship. Everyone agrees. The Dynamic Dining is a disaster and needs to be revamped or scrapped completely. I gave up trying to get a dinner reservation and my travel agent stepped in and was able to get us a few last month. The first night we were on board we ate at Chic. The staff and food in Chic were outstanding and we were disappointed that we couldn't manage to get back there for dinner again. We were annoyed to have 3 reservations at Silk but in the end we all thought the food was amazing at Silk and we especially liked our waiter "Dine" from Peru (?) His enthusiasm and suggestions were wonderful and we walked away feeling like we had just stepped out of an authentic Chinese restaurant in Flushing or Elmhurst, NY. Dine was wonderful and we thought he was by far one of the best waiters we had on board. We enjoyed our second night in Silk after a day at CoCo Cay and were impressed to see the head manager out and about in the dining room talking with guests after a long afternoon at Coco Cay. He was very warm and accommodating and we thoroughly enjoyed his company. Our final meal was in the American Icon grill and Ady was our waiter. His suggestions were wonderful and we thoroughly enjoyed his "shtick" - he was extremely helpful and accommodating and we really enjoyed our time with him. Our dinner was great and we only had one minor complaint that being the fish my husband ordered was too dry when it got to the table. Other than that we liked the dining room and would have liked to have had the opportunity to get there more than once. Our meals in the Windjammer were wonderful and we especially liked being greeted with a warm smile and a friendly hello every day from Jun in the back of the ship where we ate most of our meals and Mei Fang - she was also very warm and welcoming with big smiles and hello's all around every day. All the staff in the Windjammer were warm and inviting and extremely helpful. We were very interested to meet and talk to each one of them every day and find out where they were from, etc., The barista's making cappuccino’s were wonderful and we especially liked the fresh baked cookies every day. My only complaint was seeing a night chef/supervisor berate an employee in front of me. He was extremely grumpy and for the short time I saw him in the Windjammer he was complaining to the evening supervisor about an employee over something relatively trivial. The young man was cleaning a stove, etc., and the supervisor didn't like something about the location of his cleaning supplies, etc., - it was late at night and there was virtually no one around in the Windjammer - an easy oversight due to the lack of patrons, etc., I went back and personally told this young man that he was doing a great job and that it didn't bother me. I was HAPPY to see a stove being cleaned so nicely! Overall our Windjammer experience was okay - the food was good, the staff was wonderful, the variety of fresh fruits and vegetables was impressive. Thank you! We had a Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony 12570 and we were extremely pleased with every aspect of this room. There was more than enough storage space for our belongings and we never once felt cramped or crowded. Darmawan our room attendant was wonderful, wonderful, wonderful and he kept our cabin spotless and neat at all times and my son loved his nightly towel animals he left behind. He was an extremely kind and generous man and we loved having him around at all times. No request went unanswered and he was an amazingly hard working man. Our shore excursions were wonderful at Cocoa Beach and CoCo Cay and the Excursions desk team was extremely helpful in making sure I wasn't charged twice for a duplicate reservation. We did the Jet Ski Tour at 3:30 and had a blast. We were extremely impressed with the amount of preparation and emphasis on safety for this tour and we would definitely book that excursion again possibly 2X. The Aqua Park was a big hit with my son. Less so with his Dad who had trouble getting up onto the obstacles in the park, but that's not an issue for RCI, that's just his age. CoCo Cay was nicely laid out and we thoroughly enjoyed the BBQ lunch provided as well. A day on CoCo Cay was a huge "home run" for me and my family. We didn't do any excursions in Nassau as I did my own "Resort for a Day" at the Colonial Hilton - it was a wonderful way to spend the day in Nassau away from the crowds. Overall our experience was positive with Royal Caribbean and we will most likely sail again at some point, probably in 2017. We look forward to the Anthem of the Seas coming to Bayonne and only hope it is made available for a sailing during Spring Break in the future. Our only recommendations are to fix the glaring issues with regards to dinner reservations. Once these are resolved there will be little to complain about. Quantum is a beautiful ship, we are sad to see her go to China. Overall a great cruise!

Amazing Ship! Amazing Trip!

Quantum of the Seas Cruise Review by jcvcruiser

• Sail Date: April 2015
  • Destination: Bahamas

Overall a great cruise!
jcvcruiser’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Get Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas price drops

We had a Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony 12570 and we were extremely pleased with every aspect of this room. There was more than enough storage space for our belongings and we never once felt cramped or crowded. Darmawan our room attendant was wonderful, wonderful, wonderful and he kept our cabin spotless and neat at all times and my son loved his nightly towel animals he left behind. He was an extremely kind and generous man and we loved having him around at all times. No request went unanswered and he was an amazingly hard working man. Excellent room for 2 adults and 1 child. Balcony was huge!
  Quantum of the Seas Deck Plans

• Nassau
    We chose to do "Resort for a Day" at the Colonial Hilton in Nassau. It was a quick 20-minute walk to the hotel and we spent the entire afternoon on the beach and in the pool. Since we go their late the Hilton was more than happy to allow us to use our "food voucher" in their main restaurant Aqua. We had a wonderful meal and returned back to the ship in time for departure. Highly recommend "Resort for a Day" especially during Spring Break trips when crowds at Atlantis are large.
    View All 5,972 Nassau Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Nassau Cruise Port Review
  • Cocoa Beach
    Went to Ron Jon Surf Shop to pick up T-shirts and flip flops then to Walgreens to get snacks, etc., Decided a quick bus trip to Coca Beach was the way to go rather than hail a local taxi.
    View All 111 Cocoa Beach Reviews
  • Kennedy Space Center
    Son and husband enjoyed this excursion so much the first time they wanted to go back a second time. Quick bus ride to and from the Space Center and they got to see Atlantis Shuttle which was not there previously.
    View All 213 Kennedy Space Center Reviews
  • Aqua Park
    The Aqua Park was a great deal of fun for my 10 year old son. My husband also enjoyed this but had difficulty (as did other adults) getting up onto the obstacles. The staff was very accomodating and allowed them to come back when our tender boat didn't make it on time for a 10am session. They sent them to the slide and told them to come back during the afternoon.
    View All 50 Aqua Park Reviews
  • Wave Jet
    The Wave Jet tour was excellent and the Excursions Desk folks at RCI Quantum of the Seas were very helpful and accomodating. Very impressed with level of safety information presented to us before allowing patrons to board their vehicles. Excellent tour - well worth the money. Beautiful surroundings and water.