3. Quantum of the Seas
My wife and I have been on well over 30 cruises, and we are diamond on RCCL. We had a great time on the Quantum, and believe it really is a step forward in cruising. With that said, I recognize there are a few kinks, but will get to that later as they in no way detracted from our overall positive experience. Embarkation and getting off the ship was faster than I've ever experienced on any cruise line anywhere. 20 minutes to get on, 15 minutes from cabin to car. The cabin was high tech, well laid out, spotless, plenty of storage, thoughtful when it comes to ability to scoot suitcases under the bed, more closet space than normal, hooks everywhere - great Staff overall was great - our room steward Hubert from Costa Rica was at least as good as the best we've ever had. I rarely tip above suggested gratuity, but slipped him a 20. The rest of the staff was great too - our waiter at Chic had an off-day, actually even on his own volition admitted it, so we'll give him a pass. Friendly and accommodating as could be expected. Just so you don't think I'm just a fan-boy, there was also a bartender who always seemed a little sullen, but I'm not going to judge a staff just because a bartender is not my cup of tea. We had no problem with the reservation system, and all of our reservations worked out great, shows, restaurants, ifly - all of it. However, when talking with the staff, they even admitted that the software has a glitch somewhere, and reservations are getting lost. I'm sure RCCL is going through their "ACA-website moment", so I won't pile on - it worked for us. ---- But print out your pre-arranged reservations before you board. We did and didn't need them - but I understand that when the system did fail, folks that had a printout of their reservations got them reinstated as a matter of course. Folks that didn't had a hassle that would have annoyed me as well. Speaking of hassles - people who boarded without reservations probably did have a hard time making their dinner reservations fit with the shows, get the times they wanted etc. - I do think they have an absolute legitimate gripe about the system - but again, we did it ahead of time, and it worked. I guess Anthem is changing back to the old system of early/late and mytime dining, and coordinating showtimes to fit with dinnertimes. Good choice on RCCL's part - while it worked for us, I also would have preferred a more streamlined system that the old system represented. If it ain't broke, why fix it? Much has been written here about the lines. I heard people in line with me in front of the restaurants complain about the lines - and that was a line where we waited for 8 minutes to get our table, and that was only once (at Chic). The others were maybe no time or a few minutes until they determined the best table for us and had someone escort us there. It was not a big deal for us. The lines for other stuff were long - but have no idea how RCCL or anyone else could do any better. How do you limit lines for a crane (Northstar) that takes up 8 people at a time, and takes 5 minutes to do one trip. I guess you could give out tickets for a specific time in 5 minute increments, but what happens when weather shuts it down - you'd have people go nuts about their slot being lost... Same thing for bumper cars and trapeze school. Yes, the lines are long, but I just don't see any better way for RCCL to manage it. The alternative is not to offer these things which would be a shame. Food - awesome. All the restaurants are great - american icon was our least favorite, but many others top choice. To each their own, and I'm not going to wax poetic about one restaurant over the other, because I think it's really a matter of taste. But the bottom line is this - in all places food is flavorful, presented well, and imaginative in many cases. There were a couple of things where I felt nickled and dimed. Comfy chairs at north star? 150 bucks for the day? Really? Thank god they removed the charge at Devinly Decadence, that would have driven me nuts. The ability to text from phone to phone should be free if you have the wifi package - why in the world should I be charged twice to be connected. That really irked me. Speaking of technology: The app is great, interactive screens great as well. Art: Celebrity does better, but it wasn't bad here. Art in the stateroom hallways seemed like someone was given a budget of a color printer attached to a computer... :-) Shows - what can I say. I'm a Platinum cruiser (their top-tier) with Disney, and this is the first ship I've been on, where the shows were at the caliber of their entertainment, and for adults it probably is better. I can't say enough about it. Public spaces - 270 is awesome - what a great space. RCCL did a home run with this. The technology there will blow your mind. As far as other public spaces - it did seem more crowded than I'm used to. It's kind of like this - Quantum class has 4/5's of the passengers of Oasis class, but are shoehorning them into 1/2 of the public space - that's at least what it feels like. It really is my only gripe with the ship overall. It's hard to get a chaise on sea days - anywhere. The Esplanade feels downright crowded. I get the need to get more passengers on the ships to make a profit, but Quantum was teetering on being just over the edge on the passenger/space ratio. The gym is the best at sea - period. I always found an empty elliptical - at 10 a.m. on sea days - try that anywhere else! Kids program - even my son who is 9 complained about the noise. The staff literally use a bullhorn to communicate with the kids. It really is a madhouse, and it was swamped - but my son went back for more, so what can I say. So in sum - It's awesome. What a great ship, great staff, big step forward for RCCL. Couple of gripes, but nothing that detracts from the overall experience, and a few growing pains that I'm sure are getting resolved as we speak. Have a great vacation!

I had a great experience.

Quantum of the Seas Cruise Review by joedansker

• Sail Date: April 2015
  • Destination: Bahamas

Speaking of technology: The app is great, interactive screens great as well.

joedansker’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 7 to 9
Get Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas price drops

Great -The cabin was high tech, well laid out, spotless, plenty of storage, thoughtful when it comes to ability to scoot suitcases under the bed, more closet space than normal, hooks everywhere - great
  Quantum of the Seas Deck Plans