3. Quantum of the Seas
Summary: Our 10th cruise. It's not that everything was terrible, but the overall cruising experience was poor and there are much better choices. If you want to pay $4,000 for a $2,000 cruise, then this is your ship. Take Oasis if you want a great experience. Over hyped: Virtual balcony: Pointless. It does not give one the feeling of a balcony. At dusk, the camera is so insensitive that the picture just goes black. If you try to use your hair dryer and have the virtual balcony on at the same time, you will blow a fuse. 270: There is nothing about this room that wowed me. It does not take you to another place. One of the "shows" was a scene with all the major landmark buildings from around the world (Taj Mahal, Effel Tower, etc). I think it was called Vistarama. This "show" went on for one hour and the only thing that moved was the water in the foreground and a ferris wheel. The image quality was not that good. We stayed because we were meeting someone there after the "show" anyway. Too many site lines were blocked by huge lamps (8 foot high) they had around. In their promotional material they showed images floor to ceiling but we never saw them (those images have since gone away, but if you do an internet search for 'quantum of the seas 270 photos' they are still available). Skydiving: You aren't going to float around in the tube like the instructors can do. All that you get to do is go into the tube and float at about 2 to 3 feet high off the ground while the instructor holds onto you. Artwork: RCI claimed that a small fortune was spent on the artwork. They were robbed. The ship is very plain. There are a couple of notable pieces, but for the most part the smaller wall pieces looked like something you would pick up at K-Mart. If a picture of a giraffe wearing sunglasses is art, well then, I guess I could be an artist for RCI. It was also strange that there were no pictures in our stateroom. There is a swing in 270 that they also consider part of their art collection. Overpriced: Some of the specialty restaurants that have an upcharge. I don't mind the upcharge, but I expect quality ingredients. Wonderland ($45 upcharge) did nothing for me, and the fatty meat main course was not appreciated. Jamie's ($35 upcharge) was nice, but I expected better quality ingredients. Chops and Chic were FANTASTIC and well worth the upcharge. It seems that RCI has jumped up their price of mixed drinks by 50% since last year. Gripes: The ship was very plain. The theater had all the pizzazz of a high school auditorium. Long waits at the elevator compared to other ships. Lack of legroom in the theater in the lower section. Normally I can stretch out my legs under the seat in front of me if I am in the lower section. Not on this ship. They decided to put the seats on risers and have ventilation come up through the back of the seats. They could have done the same thing and kept the legroom by not using risers but they chose not to. Very cramped. Shops: Most of the prime real estate on the promenade were for very high end shops catering to the top 1%. We were talking with one salesman in a watch store. His store sells 5 to 7 watches a week with an average price of $15,000. His store quota is only 4 watches a week. Contrast that with the cramped store that is smaller than the high end watch store, where most cruisers will buy their t shirts, souveniers, sunscreen, etc. The liquor store was also part of this store. The majority of the shops do not serve the general population of the cruise ship. For the most part, they are just there for branding, not for sales. I'm sure that RCI is making more money from renting out this prime real estate to these high end shops, but they are not serving the majority of their customers by doing so. NorthStar: Imagine waiting in line for over an hour, and then being told the ride was broken...AGAIN! It seemed like it was out of commission about 20% of the time. It IS a nice ride, very smooth with no rocking even in high wind. Did you know you have to put your keycard in a slot inside the room in order for the A/C and lights to work? Luckily, we know about this before our cruise, but can you imagine if you walked into your stateroom and the lights don't work. By the way, you can use any mag strip card, and you can leave it in place all the time so that when you come back to your statement later it won't be stinking hot in your room. Room: Inside stateroom. Best layout we have seen in an inside room. It was partly because we had an unusual room in that it was square, not rectangular. Roomy shower with a glass door. It was probably larger than my home stall shower. Plenty of real wood hangars (not clip-ons)! The other thing that made the room more usable was the fact that it did not have a useless sofa, it just had two chairs that we could stuff out of the way. Shows: Momma Mia - 5 stars Sonic Odessey - 4 stars StarWater (performed in 270) - 1 star...4 stars if they cut down the solo done by the woman in the huge dress. Allow me to elaborate: The singer (who is quite good) is wearing a dress that keeps expanding as she rises up. The dress ends up being about 50 feet in diameter. At any rate, she keeps repeating "Diamonds are Forever" for what seems to be about 4 hours and 23 minutes. If they did the whole thing in a minute or two it would be great, but it was just painful to sit there through it. Guest Entertainer - 3.5 stars. He was pretty good, but no Danny Gans. He did a little too much name dropping in what I think was an attempt to gain credibility. You needed reservations for all shows, and often had to take a show at an inconvenient time. What we didn't like was that there was no entertainment every night. Sure, you could go to the Music Hall or some other bar. Reservation System and Restaurant Ordering: I have tried to keep my ratings about the ship separate from these two disasters. Reservations for dinners and shows got lost or changed, regardless of whether we made them online, on the phone, or at the restaurant. Wait staff struggled with their tablets to take orders. More than once the wait staff had to come back and get my order a second time. Service was excellent, and the crew did a great job handling the Noro Virus outbreak.

Over priced and over hyped; there are much better choices.

Quantum of the Seas Cruise Review by PLONK

Over hyped:

There is a swing in 270 that they also consider part of their art collection.

Overpriced:

Chops and Chic were FANTASTIC and well worth the upcharge.

Gripes:

Long waits at the elevator compared to other ships.

Shows: