3. MSC Orchestra
We have recently returned from a 40 night Grand Voyage on MSC Orchestra. Our first cruise with MSC, only the second cruise that we have ever done, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We cant wait to do another one! We found embarkation to be easy and well organised (and I love a French or Italian accent), and directions to our cabin were given by immaculately presented staff on board. Our luggage took a little while to arrive, but we were somewhat paranoid due to a misunderstanding with where we should be and where our luggage should be when first arriving at Dubai Port. Non MSC staff onshore were not always that helpful. First impression of the ship is really pleasing. It is spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated and furnished (subjective opinion I guess) and throughout the voyage this standard was maintained. Staff were constantly, unobtrusively, keeping all areas immaculately maintained. Every washroom I used throughout the ship were the cleanest I have ever encountered. All the time, every time. Our cabin (deck 8, on the rear), was spacious and clean. A few minor signs of wear that didn't affect our pleasure , say 95/100. Some holiday basics that can make or break. The bed(s),2 king singles pushed together, was very comfortable. A good nights sleep from day one. The pillows, unusual to my taste, and mentioned by others, but didn't affect my sleeping. More than enough drawer and hanging space. Excellent water pressure in the shower, which was more roomy than my only other cruising experience. Lots of hot water Towels changed twice a day. Room made up twice a day. Food. The buffet offered a range of food that changed throughout the day. Some aspects of the menu varied day to day and others remained constant. The standard of the food available ranged from excellent to OK. Often it was not as hot as I would have liked, but this also varied from dish to dish and day to day. We still often opted to eat there. Suggestion, if there at a busy time, find your table BEFORE you collect your food. Sounds like common sense to me. The a la carte restaurant. Staff immaculately presented, permanently friendly and willing to do almost anything to make your life pleasant. Most staff on the ship speak 4 or 5 languages and English is not necessarily going to be their best. Can be entertaining or annoying depending on your attitude and approach, but can always be sorted out. Often noticed the staff enjoying themselves and having a laugh which impressed me, because they work hard and long hours. The food was always hotter here than in the buffet and, I believe tasted better. This could of course be the ambience etc. etc. This is not to say it was better. Some meat dishes were disappointing (eg a "steak" turning out to be a thin slice of overcooked roast ), but other meals were excellent. In my opinion, all the entrees and desserts were most enjoyable. The range available on each nights changing menu was varied enough to suit most tastes. An issue I don't understand, that reared its head over and over again, was water with dinner. Water and ice (and tea and coffee) is available 24hrs in the buffet), BUT, and I knew this before embarking, water is not served with dinner unless you buy bottled water. However, every drink package, in addition to whatever you have chosen, provides a supply of bottled water that was more than sufficient for our needs, that can be obtained at any bar or restaurant throughout the ship. I heard people complaining even quite late in the voyage about this aspect but it seemed mostly along the lines of "this is what we do, and just because you are Italian you should not be different". Entertainment in the theatre was outstanding in presentation and content and variety. Wait staff were constantly attentive but achieved the perfect balance of not being intrusive. On board activities were many and varied. The activities we participated in were entertaining and rewarding. We never found disembarkation a problem although Brisbane was a bit disappointing. After cruising, I find the concept of airports, airplanes, log haul flights and everything that goes with them quite unsettling. But, as a converted cruiser, I've got to face it because I'm ready to MSC again. In summary, not perfect, but I would give MSC 95/100 for value, cleanliness, general comfort, staff at all levels, entertainment and facilities but with some room for improvement in food.

Fabulous 40 Nightts on the MSC Orchestra

MSC Orchestra Cruise Review by paj123

Some holiday basics that can make or break.

More than enough drawer and hanging space.

Lots of hot water

Towels changed twice a day. Room made up twice a day.

Food.

paj123’s Full Rating Summary
Get MSC Orchestra price drops

Clean and spacious. Comfortable with good hanging and drawer space.
Excellent bathroom facilities.
  MSC Orchestra Deck Plans

• Falcons Up Close & Personal
    We had a FABULOUS time at the Falcon Hospital. It was one of the few highlights of our Arabian Peninsular trip. It was a great morning for all ages, as you really did get up close and personal with these beautiful birds.
    View All 1 Falcons Up Close & Personal Reviews
  • City Sightseeing Dubai Hop-On Hop-Off Bus
    We organised this at the Dubai port, where there are various tour companies selling tours. We spoke at length to the sales person about what we wanted to do - namely go into Dubai Mall after dinner that evening to see the light show, and then return to the cruise ship. After dinner, around 7.30pm we went down to the port to find that the last bus for the evening had left some time before!! As had the lying sales person. We spoke to different staff the next day, who rang management for us, but no refund was forthcoming... Very disappointing
    View All 12,769 City Sightseeing Dubai Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Reviews
  • Burj Khalifa
    After being admitted to the queue at our allotted time, we had to stand waiting for over an hour before we got into the lift. At the top, due to a massive sandstorm, there was no view at all. The viewing platform should not have been opened, it was very unpleasant outside. After spending 5 minutes outside, we then had to wait another hour or so to get the lift down.
    View All 20 Burj Khalifa Reviews
  • Desert Safari
    We organised Rayna Tours to collect us from the Dubai port, and had received a confirmation of our booking stating time, date and pick-up location. We had fully pre-paid this tour. We were at the pick-up location at least an hour before pick up time. They simply did not turn up. We had the security guard on lookout for us, as there was a terrible sandstorm, he said that they had not come by at all. We rang Rayna Tours, who said that they had already left, and because they could not contact us by phone, they just didn't bother to come and pick us up. When we spoke to them, they were very rude and dismissive, and really not interested at all.
    View All 19 Desert Safari Reviews
  • City Tour
    We did the Mystical Muscat tour, and it was okay. The Grand Mosque was beautiful, but by this stage we were a bit over the full head-dress, long sleeves, socks virtually no skin showing - for females only, and they were very strict. We were fully inspected before allowed to enter. The gardens were also very pretty at the mosque. The Muttra was interesting and colourful.
    View All 26 City Tour Reviews