3. Norwegian Spirit
As a little background, this is my 4th cruise, but first with Norwegian (and surely last). I have done 2 Carnival and 1 Royal Caribbean. Our group of 18 couldn't wait for the big family cruise to celebrate my grandparent's 50th anniversary, all of the kids, their spouses, grandkids, and our spouses went. We put an unbelievable amount of planning into this vacation in order to make it extra special for them; wow were we disappointed! We had no problems embarking, it was a rather speedy process and the people at the counter were very nice and helpful. We got on the ship and went strait the reservation desk to make dinner reservations at the Hibachi grill. The ladies there were rather snooty, not overly willing to help, and we even got a few rolling eyes. We booked, brushed it off, and hurried off to our rooms. When we got there, I was quite upset. We had specifically requested that 7/8 of our rooms be arranged into queen beds, as we were all couples. We had 2 twin beds, but that wasn't the worst part, there was dry urine on my toilet seat, which was quite a shocker. And of course, no room steward could be found. We also had 3 lights that didn't work, the 1 outlet we had did not work, and the phone didn't work (so we couldn't call anyone to fix any of these problems). My cousin and his wife were staying next door to us, and they had dirty sheets (also 2 twin beds instead of the queen). So we went down to the desk to let them know, then off to lunch. We ran into our grandparents and they told us to join them at Windows (one of the sit down restaurants) because they had reservations. When we showed up, some of the group was there, so we sat at the table next to them. There were only 10-12 other parties seated in this massive dining room, but the waiter was less than thrilled that the party of 8 had turned into a party of 12 (and he showed it well). We were brushed off, which wouldn't have been too bad if the food was decent, but that didn't happen. We also spoke with the maitre' De to try to make reservations (freestyle cruising SUCKS by the way) for our party of 18 to eat together, because that was the whole point of the cruise. We were told that they couldn't push 2 tables together, so we would be a table of 10 and a table of 8 seated close to each other. Gee thanks. We again brushed it off, and started exploring the boat. My husband, mom, and I went to the spa to make reservations for treatments, and we felt like we were putting them out of their way by helping us. I couldn't get over how rude they were when we were there spending money. We took off late (were supposed to pull out of port at 5 PM, but didn't until after 7PM). We all dressed for dinner (they still hadn't put our beds together yet) and met in Windows to find our 2 tables separated by a portion of a wall and a big plant, rude wait staff, and mediocre food (at best). After dinner, we all wanted to do something, but that was a problem because there was NOTHING TO DO on this ship. This was the most boring deadest ship I had ever been on. I could go on for days, which I'm sure you can tell by my lovely experience on the first day, but I'll just list out the numerous problems we encountered. -The rudest staff I've ever encountered on a cruise ship, with the exception of our room steward, Enrica, who was AWESOME!! Also, the Assistant Maitre' De in Windows was wonderful. At one point, a crew member ran into my husband with a rolling cart and didn't even say excuse me. We were in shock the whole cruise of how horrible these people were. -Horrible food, with the exception of the Hibachi grill (well worth the $25.00 cover charge) and Blue Lagoon (everything I ate there was good). -We got overcharged for our spa services, then yelled at when we tried to use the coupon that THEY provided to us, telling us that we were reading it wrong (which it was as plain as day that they were wrong). -We paid for express dry cleaning on my formal dress, and didn't receive it in time -Getting of at the ports was a nightmare, no organization, and it took FOREVER! -The beds were so uncomfortable, that we got little sleep each night. My husband actually had to go to the chiropractor when we got home with a twisted spine thanks to their beds. -One night we, along with my aunt and uncle,who were next door to us, smelled smoke (like burning, not cigarette). We were both calling the emergency number (which nobody answered), until my husband just went downstairs to the desk. 45 minutes later (yes, 45 minutes to respond to a burning smell), someone finally came and told us not to worry about it (without even checking anything out). It turned out that we were passing by a marsh fire, and the smoke got into the ventilation system, which we found out from another passenger, not a crew member. Disembarkation was a complete nightmare. Remember this name: Gail Jackson, if you see her while disembarking, RUN. She was by far the rudest person we encountered the entire trip, yelling at other passengers trying to get their luggage, my whole family, even her co-workers. It was so bad that I actually called headquarters and reported her. It took us close to 2 hours to get off of the boat, (and that was with expedited service due to my grandpa being in a scooter). We did have fun, but it was definitely from the fun that my crazy family created, not from what the ship had to offer. I have so many specific incidents I could get into (to show that this isn't just me overreacting to something small), but I'm sure there is a space restraint on this. All I can say is STRONGLY STRONGLY reconsider taking this cruise, because I'm sure you will be greatly disappointed.

Wow, what a disaster!!