3. Carnival Spirit
Just got back from a ten day cruise on the Carnival Spirit. Sydney – South Pacific – Sydney sailed March 30th and thought I’d share my views on the cruise, if that’s ok. Now my ever suffering wife thinks I’m a bit of a winger, I like to think of myself as a fair and reasonable consumer, someone prepared to call a spade a spade so to speak. Having said that let me begin. First of all, our one and only reason for taking the cruise was the price, we got a great bargain in a 24 hour sale. To our pleasing surprise we were assigned a great stateroom one across the rear of the ship on deck 4 with an extended balcony, for the price we paid we really only expected to get one of those obstructed view balcony rooms. All credit to Carnival for that and a big thank you. The boarding and dis-embarking procedure was very professional and relatively quick. Our stateroom was spacious and well designed compared to some other cruise ships we’re been on in the same price class. The entire ship was the cleanest were been on, and maintained as such for the entire cruise, 10 / 10 Carnival. The staff were friendly and respectful, unfortunately we got the impression that most if not all the staff in the main dining room were new on board, not being too sure as to restaurant seating layout, we had to find our own table in the end, and they were a little confused and lost in the serving of the meals but not enough to spoil the dining. Now for the down side. First of all my views should be viewed just as that... My Views and may not be shared by others. I personally found the quality and variety of meals in both the main dining room as well as the buffet to be little more at best than that of a basic club or pub bistro. We were continually being encouraged to pay the $40 p/p to dine in the Nouveau Steakhouse Restaurant, from viewing the menu for the meals on offer they were little more at best than that once standard fare in the main dining room, they were the days! It appears to me that each new cruise I go on the included food / meals are getting of a lesser quality and variety. I’m guessing it’s in response to the ever increasing competitiveness of basic cruise pricing packaging, if it keeps going this way I guess we’ll be having to take our own packed lunches soon. The opening times of the buffets seemed a little restrictive and for the most caused a bit of a feeding frenzy, we quickly started to refer to the buffet as “ the trough ” Thank God for the 24 hour Pizza Bar. The quality and variety of the on board entertainment was the worse I’ve ever encountered on any cruise I’ve taken. Very little in the way of interesting daytime entertainment, any daytime talks for the most were no more than a sales marketing pitch. The so call stand-up comics with the excepted of one were embarrassing. The main evening shows were poorly sound mixed, it felt like the sound mixing guy just had both the band and singers up on full volume creating more of a noise fest than a professionally produced show and not really allowing the singers to be at their best, well I hope that wasn’t their best! In closing I have to say on balance we had a very enjoyable and relaxing cruise and good value for money. Carnival Spirit is a well laid out and functional design, the best maintained and clean cruise ship we’ve been on for awhile. We just wish that there was better food and entertainment options.

Just got back from a ten day cruise on the Carnival Spirit

Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by wazsal

• Sail Date: March 2015
  • Destination: South Pacific
  • Cabin Type: Aft-View Extended Balcony

wazsal’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Spirit price drops

Aft-View Extended Balcony
Cabin 8N 4230
Excellent, roomy and well designed
Panorama Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins