3. Regal Princess
Just returned from a one-week cruise on the Regal Princess, itinerary was standard Eastern Caribbean with stops at Princess Cay, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. With approximately 45 cruises under my belt, many with Princess, I always go with a pretty good idea of what to expect. Further, we sailed on the Royal Princess during her inaugural season in 2013 so I was quite familiar with the layout of the Regal even before boarding her. Knowing some of the design issues made getting around the Regal much easier the second time- there are some subtle differences but nothing major. Princess continues to do some things very well and they certainly met expectations. One real positive is the loyalty program and the perks one gets as time goes by. I am Platinum level, which meant quick, seamless embarkation, 150 free Internet minutes, a nightly lounge, and a special disembarkation room. A nice upgrade put me in a balcony cabin located in an ideal location near the aft stairway. Because of work obligations, I had to travel solo this time so I did have to pay 200 percent of the fare but it was still reasonable especially considering the upgrade. The Regal Princess is certainly a beautiful, albeit huge, ship. Everything gleams and the crew keeps her spotless. Just as on the Royal, everything centers around the Piazza and there is constant activity. For first time cruisers this must be very impressive, personally I do prefer smaller ships that don’t make you feel like you are in a Las Vegas hotel. Food choices continue to be excellent and the expanded Horizon Court buffet has something for everyone. Seating was never a problem and there was plenty of staff clearing tables and offering drinks. Cabin service was equally excellent, my stateroom was spotless and the steward was very unobtrusive. Everything worked great. Now for the not so great moments. I have travelled alone extensively both for work and pleasure. Dinners were a bit of an issue when I politely asked, and waited for a table for two by myself. One positive of these ships is there are many tables for two but each evening I got “looks” from the dining staff because I chose to eat alone. I was always seated but often at the least desirable location (i.e., next to the kitchen entry). The staff should recognize that not every traveller has four children or a party of six relatives. I was also disappointed in the total lack of dress code enforcement. Many men were allowed entry in the evening dining room in shorts, baseball caps, etc. Not exactly “smart casual.” I chose not to bring a suit and ate in the Horizon Court on formal nights but if the dress code is not enforced, then do away with it. One of the Princess events that I always enjoyed was the Princess Fine Arts auctions and we have many pieces hanging in our home purchased on cruises. Many passengers new to the line may not realize that Princess shuttered this operation two years ago and Park West now runs the auctions. It is such a shame that a great program was disbanded and this angered many passengers. The present auction program is a poor substitute and the quality of the pieces is terrible. The crew had bit of sterile feel to it, some were friendly, however, others seemed they were doing you a favor to assist. Many bartenders, especially at the Outrigger Bar, never smiled or said thank you after purchasing a drink. All-in-all, this was not a bad cruise, nor was it a great cruise. As mentioned, the huge ships are just not for me. A beautiful sailing ship (Star Clipper) was in port with us in St. Martin, and I longed for the days of Windjammer Barefoot Cruises and when cruise ships held no more than 1200 or so passengers.

Regal Princess March 2015

Regal Princess Cruise Review by jkadventures

jkadventures’s Full Rating Summary
Get Regal Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BA
Riveria Deck aft was a perfect location for access to everything.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins