3. Caribbean Princess
DW and I just got off the Golden Princess after a short three-day getaway cruise. This was our 15th cruise overall and eighth in a row on Princess. The main reason we went on this cruise was to celebrate DW’s sister’s hubby’s recent retirement. Embarkation was relatively smooth. We arrived around 1430 hours and were on the ship in about 20 minutes after walking into the terminal. We did have to park at an overflow lot because the lots around the terminal were all full. I was told there were 3 ships that sailed before us which filled up all the lots. For this cruise, we had what is listed as a Vista Suite (C751). I think they use to be called the “Premium Suites.” BIL & SIL had the adjoining PH suite (C749). Here is the thing that confuses me. The PH’s pictures show the balcony as being smaller with the cabin being bigger. What we saw was the exact opposite. Our balcony was noticeably narrower that C749 but our cabin seemed noticeably larger. Our cabin attendant (sorry but I cannot remember his name) started out kind of strange but he, overall, was very good. All other crew members always had a smile on their faces and were more than willing to help when needed. The Golden overall seems to be holding up rather well for being a 14 year old ship. We sailed on her to Hawaii in 2011 so we were well acquainted with her layout. All public areas seemed in a good state of repair. I was told the ship is going in for a two-week dry dock after the 10-day cruise that started today. I did see some wear and tear and rust but the Golden is in the water 24/7 365 days a year. Since this was a short three-day cruise I did not get to experience all areas of the ship. As far as the subjective area of food, we ate in room from the MDR the first night. The next two nights, we did ATD in the Bernini dining room. In my humble opinion, Princess does an absolutely terrible job running ATD. The first night we waited about forty-five minutes when we requested a table for six at 1930 hours. While waiting for a table, I noted a number of empty tables. I asked the headwaiter about this. He told me only a maximum of 20% of available tables are allowed to be held for reservations. He also told me the reservations are only available first come first serve on a daily basis. He also assured me that standing reservations for an entire cruise was not allowed on any Princess ship. After reading to the contrary on CC, I decided that it wasn’t worth arguing about. The food overall in the Bernini, along with food in all areas, was very good to excellent. Bar service was acceptable in all areas with the exception of the Casino bar. Service there was abysmal. Since the cruise was a short three-day done during spring break, there were a ton of kids onboard. There were some instances where the kids got out of line but I thought ship’s personnel handled it well. All in all it was an enjoyable short cruise. Just thing to get me motivated for our CB cruise in September.

Back From My First 3 Day Cruise

Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by Woobstr112G

• Sail Date: April 2015
  • Destination: USA

Woobstr112G’s Full Rating Summary
Get Caribbean Princess price drops

Cabin C751
Cabin was well laid out.
  Caribbean Princess Deck Plans